Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
featherweight # 2 >

featherweight # 2

featherweight # 2

Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Check out HSN today, they have a days special value singer and they also have the industrial singer on sell with free shipping.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 AM

You would think that after all these years that when Singer manufacturers a Featherweight II that they would want it to have the quality, engineering and machining to be equal to the original FW's, otherwise they are squandering their reputation.
Does anyone know anymore about the quality of the FW-II or used one?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM

[quote=OmaForFour]I love your Avatar!!!!! Do you live on a farm?

I used to live on a farm...however extenuating circumstances forced me to sell out...dreaming of another tho
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM

I have a white/cream Featherweight and the only thing I do not like is that it is "hard wired" with no way to unplug the cord from the machine. I did have it rewired for safety but it just bugs me a little.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle
ok heres a third auction...TIA

can you tell im excited...lol

i cant see any reason noone has bid on it yet...what do you see?
also...is it still considered a featherweight if it weighs 19# in the case...because if thats the case then might just as well haul my machine around with me to a class or two...it weighs 21# lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
It's over 200.00 and it still has 5 hrs. They don't go cheap.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM

ALL new machines seems to have a lot of plastic parts and are therefore not so hot for heavy use as those parts do not last as well as the metal parts in the old machines and they are not as heavy duty. I have both new and old machines and if I am going to do a lot of heavy work I will use the old ones because I don't think the new ones will stand the abuse.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM

I agree. those are not what you are looking for. I bought one & took it right back. They also had a doggy looking featherweight & my husband told me that was what I should have,so I got the old machine & boy I sure was glad that i listened to him. BE patient & you will find the perfect one.
Glenda
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 AM

I made a buttonhole using the buttonholer and figured out how to get the original penguin walking foot on. They are just such fun.

What is "original penguin" walking foot. Can they be purchased now? I have two, one generic low shank and one Singer low shank. Neither of these will work.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM

This is just advice from someone who works and deals in sewing machines.
The newer Singer Featherweights surprisingly have a 1 amp motot a vintage has .4 amps. Because the old motors are made better they can handle often more then a new larger amp motor. A vintage featherweight has a small bed between the needle and right pillar and the tension knob is directly in your line of sight. Check with your repair shop on the newer versions before buying and ask them about what they see most. Kenmore also made a version of a feather weight- it is a compact green model with a fold out end, straight and zigzag and blind hem- have not worked on it but have on both the old and new singers. Vintage featherweights have their appeal but the question is is cute your need or versital work space to manuver in. If your just looking for something lightwieght, you can find a inexpensive machine like at Target, almart etc. They will last for a while as long as you don't run them heavy. Almost all new machines are made so cheaply the cost in repair is more then the original machine or the parts can't be gotten.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM

does anyone know if a Singer Model 15-91 is a fw?