Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
featherweight # 2 >

featherweight # 2

featherweight # 2

Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I don't think because Singer is calling this machine a featherweight necessarily means it is of the quality of the antique ones everybody pays big bucks for. I saw it on ebay as well and thought that it was just another cheap Singer machine that they decided to name featherweight. Its looks plastic, not metal. There are plenty of lightweight machines out there that weigh less than 12 lbs. This one is not the same as the black or white ones from the 1930's to 1964.

I would pass on it and pick up a cheap Brother machine for classes.

I think there are 12 bids because people are thinking it will be of the same quality and as collectible as the others.
I agree with Jamie. I bought a $60 Brother (Project Runway model) to take to class. It works fine for piecing.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by redturtle
ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description
This is a good machine, you will have to watch it and see how much it goes up over the next days.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-SINGER-FEA...11289702679656

Here is another that has only 1 day and seems no bids yet!$175.00
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-Featherwe...97252530704085

Another good one... 1 day left it's black :)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by angiecub
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I don't think because Singer is calling this machine a featherweight necessarily means it is of the quality of the antique ones everybody pays big bucks for. I saw it on ebay as well and thought that it was just another cheap Singer machine that they decided to name featherweight. Its looks plastic, not metal. There are plenty of lightweight machines out there that weigh less than 12 lbs. This one is not the same as the black or white ones from the 1930's to 1964.

I would pass on it and pick up a cheap Brother machine for classes.

I think there are 12 bids because people are thinking it will be of the same quality and as collectible as the others.
I agree with Jamie. I bought a $60 Brother (Project Runway model) to take to class. It works fine for piecing.
I have BL 9 (Babylock 9) that I use for sewing away from home - less expensive than a Featherweight, works just fine.
Good luck in your search.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by vickimc
ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description
this one is a deal. love it. the white ones were made in England and if you look at the pics close you can see made in Brition on the back corner.
I have a white one that was made in Scotland according to the serial number.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM

I love the white color, but do have concern about the patched power cord. Also, the freight on my FW (without a case) was $38.00 to my location. Your freight could add substantial cost to the total. That being said, the machine looks to be in very good condition. I THINK the power cord could be a small cost to replace, if necessary.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM

The orignal featherweight was actually the brain child of another company which if I remember correctly sold them under the name 'sewrite'.
The sales spiked every new semester around college dorms.
There was a flat black version for the military. And many unknowing house wives bought what a door to door sales man told them was the very last one.
During the late 40s thru 50s there was a trend of alternative materials for the body of full size machines making thm much lighterand more portable. Many manufactures got in on it.
The 301 is said to be the big sister of the featherweight. Some have a carrying handle, as well as not all have the same lenght extension bed.
The Singer 99 is a smaller version of the popular 66 (notice the number inversion)
The class 15 designs here given to Japan post WWII to help restart their delapidated economy. Singer launched suites. This was ironic because Isaac Singer the original founder of the empire was known to be a cheat, bully and a tiranical businessman who's only pursuit was wealth (and 5 wives). Singer tried to open a plant in Japan and was turned down for several years while they worked at getting their own factories up and running.
Both American and Japanese have their benifits. I tend to think the Japanese have better manuverabilty when I am making precision turns. The foot pedals also tend to be more fine turned so there are no jumps and starts. Both are fine machines not the mention the others out there. We work with mainly vintage machines and put them through a number of paces after cleaning and checking them end to end.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 PM

By the way- if you''re set on buying a featherweight, don't fall for the line of it's tuned well because I know what a perfect stitch looks like. Anyone can fine tune a stitch if they take the time especially on a featherweight in good condition- they are one of the simplist machines to fine tune unless you are starting from a junk piece. Like I said we work with vintage machines and there are those who will sell you an as is which could be a big mistake and those who give you a song and dance about their dear little machine jacking the price up. Be careful and check your seller.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM

umm...i am probably gonna take some classes and my machine is too heavy to carry around....sooo...is this a good "deal"...TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-Featherwe...item3cb5b99d3f

SEE ANOTHER LINK BELOW
That is not a true Featherweight. This may be what Singer is calling a fetherweight today, but it isn't their real featherweight. Check on Ebay again under Singer featherweights. You should come up with some little black machines, and maybe a tan or white machine, but not these you showed. You can also go to the singer site and search for featherweights. I purchased a lightweight craft machine for $129 or $139 from Nancy's Notions about four years ago now. It is really light and does several different stitches.
If you are wanting a true featherweight, you will pay more, around $200 and up unless you can find one at an estate sale or a garage sale, and someone just wants to get rid of it.