Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed back needed on small sewing machine >

Feed back needed on small sewing machine

Feed back needed on small sewing machine

Old 06-01-2018, 09:29 AM
mac

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
The Babylocks don't have plastic gears, even the cheaper ones.
That is good to know. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have a very old Janome Jem Gold. It's wonderful, no problems at all. I think any of the smaller Janomes will be a great machine.
I agree with you on the Janome Jem Gold, which I think is a model 600, but think the Platinum would be great because of the needle up - down feature, which the Gold does not have. I was on the lookout for those machines until I stumbled across my first Singer Slant 301. My first encounter with the Jem Gold was with the county 4-H. Just remember to clean often to remove lint from the bobbin area, especially under the Race. There are other desirable Janome models in model numbers higher than the 700s, but I cannot remember numbers. I bought one and was given one, both of which I cleaned, lubed, and passed on to people who needed them. One of those machines, I paid about 30 dollars for, the largest expense driving to the city and back to pick it up at at the Goodwill.com online pickup store in Tacoma, WA.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM

I have a Janome Gem … perfect for classes and to take to sewing parties!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM

I have a Janome DC 1050 but haven't used it for over 2 years when I upgraded. I liked it for a beginner machine and it's certainly light enough to take to class. It was decent, and sold me on Janome, but I don't know that I'd recommend it above others. I think the Jem has more happy users. Or the featherweight if all you want it for is portabliltiy and piecing.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM

If I were looking for a lightweight portable machine, I'd try very hard to find a Singer 301. I have several of them and just love this model. It is a slant stitch, straight stitch only machine but very dependable & simple to use & clean. Both of my mostly nonsewing daughters can use them without too much guidance from me. My $.02 worth of advice.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM

I have this machine, it is just OK. I do now have the wonky stitches that mac mentions and seems I'm always messing with it. I replaced an old Brother machine, really wish I had bought another Brother. I would never buy it again.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:07 AM

I have a 301A that was my main machine until I could afford to purchase another machine. It is only 6 pounds heavier than the Featherweight, but I like its footprint and stability better. I also have a vintage New Home that is slightly heavier than the 301A. It is always in my van, ready to sew. I have purchased two new machines, a Singer, which I immediately sold, and a Janome, which resides in a corner of my sewing room. My preferred machine is a Viking 6430, which is very happy residing in my sewing room and is used daily. It weighs a huge 34 pounds and only travels with me three times a year for specific sewing sessions. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a 301 or 301A.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
If I were looking for a lightweight portable machine, I'd try very hard to find a Singer 301. I have several of them and just love this model. It is a slant stitch, straight stitch only machine but very dependable & simple to use & clean. Both of my mostly nonsewing daughters can use them without too much guidance from me. My $.02 worth of advice.
I was walking through an upstairs area of a thrift store and from across the room saw the profile of a 301 slant. It had been there a while and no takers. I immediately loaded it into my cart, but had to haul it downstairs by hand. Same store, same area, I found the second one in a regular cabinet.

I have sewn many baby gowns and a few donation quilt tops on it. For the baby gowns, there were small, narrow fabric ties that the 301 handled with ease. I found a canvas bag that looked like a briefcase shape, and it works perfectly for carrying the 301. The rolling sewing machine case I bought, ends up packed with my clothing and toiletries when I go to sewing retreats.
Chris, I would say that your $.02 worth of advice is golden.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM

I bought the janome jw8100 for my grandson to use. Lightweight needle updown no need for pedal good lighting many different stitches n only cost $270 free shipping
Old 06-02-2018, 12:02 PM

I have the Janome 3160 -- I upgraded from the Gem Platinum because it had features like my Janome 7700. Don't think the 3160 is made any more but I like the 12 pound weight and its solid feel.