Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finishing Quilts >

Finishing Quilts

Finishing Quilts

Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 AM

I tied my last one for just that reason. It's much quicker and at least its on the bed! I can quilt it later if I want to.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I just do my best at quilting--even if not exactly right--and I have never had someone say that I give them to, "I don't want that--the quilting is not right!" I expect them to use them and love them and stay warm under them.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I used to make one quilt and finish it before starting on another, but in the past couple years, that's changed. A couple years ago I discovered OBW's and started on more than one at a time. I cut and sewed half hexagons for a quilt, but didn't like how they were turning out, so set it aside to make a table runner and nothing more has been done with it since. Last winter I pieced blocks for one side of a duvet for us, then put all the blocks in a zipbag and there they sit waiting to get sewn together. I have bought fabric and found the pattern for the other side. I am planning on sewing that this winter. A OBW is waiting to get the last 2 sides bound and hanger sleeves added for a gift for friends. I participte in a Fireworks Quilt Challenge and have made 2 of 7 blocks for that quilt. The end date for that is Aug. It's over a hundred pieces in one block, so I've been taking a break in between each block by sewing on some gifts for Christmas. Now those need binding and they'll be finished. So right there is 5 different projects!
Your avatar is georgous!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
Originally Posted by featherweight
I wish I could quilt my own. I have had surgery on left hand and my hands and wrists are to darn weak to quilt anything bigger then a baby quilt or lap quilt. So LAQ here I come!!
Hi Featherweight. I hope you will be getting stronger soon. I love your bargello quilt. Did you get the pattern from the bargello quilt book? I'm thinking of making one for my bedroom since I think the pattern will go well with the curtains. I've already made Trip Around the World with very small pieces so I'm thinking this bargello is put together almost the same way.
Hi Quiltbuddy, It is called "The Long and Winding Road" Got the pattern out of "The Quilter" Jan 2004. Thank You, Beth
Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I am enrolled in an 8-week quilting seminar at the local dealer so I can learn FMQ and other techniques to do exactly that: FINISH some of my UFOs. I got tired of only doing SID and wanted to branch out but I also wanted the product to look good. When I started the class I was so bad I did't even suck. Now I have progressed 2 rungs above sucking. Yeah for me!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I am enrolled in an 8-week quilting seminar at the local dealer so I can learn FMQ and other techniques to do exactly that: FINISH some of my UFOs. I got tired of only doing SID and wanted to branch out but I also wanted the product to look good. When I started the class I was so bad I did't even suck. Now I have progressed 2 rungs above sucking. Yeah for me!
You go girl!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom
I pretty new at this so I don't have a fabric stash either. I have gotten carried away at purchasing several different projects. I didn't used to understand how some had different projects going at the same time. But I now have two different tops I'm working on both for Christmas presents and another top that's done just waiting to be quilted. I want to do free motion on the one that if finished but haven't done it before so not sure what I'll do but I will do them myself, can't afford to send them to anyone. The point in beginning to quilt was to do it all myself.
YES! I found myself in exactly this situation about a year ago. The quilt doesn't feel like it's mine if I don't quilt it - I don't cuddle under it and say, "I did this." I know many people who don't quilt their own tops. For some it's time and for others, like me, it's the sandwiching. Just blogged about my long armer basting tops for me to quilt (http://www.farmgirltransplant.blogspot.com)
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM

I love every step in quilting. that being said, I have a large number of tops waiting for quilting. I am a hand quilter so that takes a long time. Some I do send to a longarm quilter but she is my mom so it's all in the family. I will have them all done someday....I hope.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:51 PM

My grandma has been quilting since the 80's? Maybe longer. I have no idea. Sometimes she is really into it. Other times she looses interest and doesn't quilt for months at a time. She completes all her little projects. Table toppers, hot pads, wall hangings and such. But her quilts are all just tops. She says she likes to piece them but not quilting. A few months ago we were talking about it and I had her pull them out. She had so many beautiful tops all packed away. She said the fun was putting them together. And she is ok with the fact that she is never going to use them or finish them. it gave her hours of entertainment and enjoyment and she's ok with them sitting.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM

lol, yay for you. you go girl! I love the way you express your self.

edited to say this was directed to Mad Quilter ;)