Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The first quilt you make will be your worst...? >

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

I disagree. It is the most inexperienced piece but that doesn't mean it lacks. My first top was a sampler and I learned so much from it. The first 3 quilts I made (in quick succession) are still in use and well-loved. I have made one later that was a piece of crap - not even sure why it didn't turn out. So there you have it.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM

My first lapquilt I made on my own, was so sad, I even tried FM. how silly that was for a newbie. I was just sure no one would love it the way I did. I fixed the FM issue and kepted the little thing for me. I know I love it, come to find out many people do. I have it in my car, incase someone would get cold on a trip. Everyone just loves it, mistakes and all. They don't see the mistakes like I do, gee, they just see this lovely little quaint quilt and they love to hold it and wrap up in it! I love that little quilt. Everytime I see it, I am so happy I kepted it for me! Like it was meant to be with me!

As far as a class goes, I then later took a class, it was suppose to be fun, all I got was dissappointment and discouraging remarks, the patterns were even wrong which was part of the class I paid for. That was my one and only class.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 PM

my first was given to my father who has passed on nearly 15 years ago. That quilt is being passed on in another branch of the family as I have no children to pass it too. Good or bad is ALL in the perspective. I have done (I think) better since but none of the cousins think so.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 PM

She has found a new quilt shop. I'm very happy about that. And throughout her working with the gestapo shop, I kept telling her to not stress too much, it didn't have to be perfect, etc. If she lived closer, I would have taken her to the Tucson Quilt Show last week and shown her all the imperfections in the hanging quilts. Usually I won't pick apart quilts like that, but just to show her a) her teachers were crazy and b) they can still be lovely without being perfect.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I don't think anyone's first quilt is destined to be their worst, any more than their first pot roast will be their worst. I DO think your SIL needs to find someone besides those quilt shop instructors to learn from or she's apt to wind up never finding the joy in quilting. Sounds like they've gone way beyond being 'quilt police' right into being 'quilt gestapo'...ripping one seam 30 times, really??! That's SO wrong.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM

You offered her cash - LOL!

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Oh.. my first quilts ( pre - rotary cutter) , I wish I could reclaim from those I gave them to. Not that I want to keep them and treasure them... I wish now.. no one to have any evidence that I made them. .. One hangs at my Moms house and everytime I see it I want to take it down. I have even made replacements.. but she won't take it down. last time I was there I even offered cash! then fabric.. and still it hangs there.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM

She swears the 30 isn't an exaggeration. They made her pick out so many of the seams so many time. When I saw the piecing, it was really really good, but I would have set the thing on fire if it were me. And for a 1st time quilting beginning class, they had them do 2 LeMoyne stars (love Y seams!) and CURVES and CIRCLES. Yeah, way to start someone off. Forget those 9 patches or rail fences. I'm just glad she's found a new shop

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
I agree 30 times is a little much - is that a literal number or an exaggerated figure? I can't imagine a seam not fraying like mad after about 15! LOL! Just make sure she takes a class from another shop and can see for herself that there are as many kinds of quilters out there as there are quilts. She will be fine!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Great idea. I definitely will!

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
I think I would have been in the car with you. I hope you quilt it for her and post a pic so we can all tell her how beautiful it is for a first!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Though I'm guessing this is coming from her quilt shop instructors who made her rip out the SAME SEAM 30 TIMES BECAUSE IT WASN'T PERFECT.

I teach beginning and intermediate quilting, and I almost NEVER have a student rip out a seam, unless they feel they should. Why do we quilt? I think it is for enjoyment, relaxation, maybe even meditation and "therapy".

Yes, first quilts can be a little rough, but not necessarily the "worst". After 16+ years of quilting I made a fantastic stinker last summer..... The next was that much more beautiful, in my opinion!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM

Not necessarily so.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by SoSewSue View Post
I bet that is NOT true. I bet most people spend an excrutiatingly long time making their first quilt. Ripping and resewing and ripping and resewing and oh a little recutting and uming and ahing and reading oodles about the next step. (Or is that just me ?). As a result I bet first quilts are generally something to be quite proud of. Yes they will serve as a sign post of how much more we have learned in later years but that is to be expected.

I bet the 'worst' quilt we make is the first one we rush through - letting one to many 'that's good enoughs' go by.

But I might be influenced by the fact that I just finished my first proper quilt. All washed and resting proudly on the couch. (Yeah me!).
Just love the way you expressed yourself Sue and that is surely the truth!
Lucy I feel sorry for your SIL having instructors that obsessed with perfection. Hope they didn't suck the joy out of quilting for her.
My first quilt - a OBW - is on our living room wall, so I guess that means I'm proud of how it came out too.