Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The first quilt you make will be your worst...? >

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM

That statement wouldn't be true for my first quilt. I made it back when I was still in high school just because I wanted to get a start on things for my "someday" family. It has been wrapped around all three of my children and has also been wrapped around three of my four grandchildren. It still looks great though it could stand to be re-tied now. I told my DD to send it to me when this youngest grand baby is done using it so I can quilt it properly, now that I know how to do that.

Whoever was teaching your SIL is a downright negative drag in my opinion. I'm so happy she has persevered through it all and still wants to quilt.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM

I made my first quilt 38 years ago. It was for my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. She had a twin comforter that she dragged around, holding it to her face while she sucked her thumb. After multiple washes and lots of dragging, I finally realized it only had maybe one more wash left. Someone had given me some large bright polyester squares and some extra brown yardage in same fabric. I laid them out on the comforter and decided I could sew them together to make a top, then find a sheet for a back and put that comforter inside. I showed her what I was going to do, then proceeded to make my first quilt. She loved it! She is grown now with teenagers and a daughter who just turned 21. She still had the quilt when we were up there for Christmas, but the sheet was in tatters and the comforter had disintegrated. I told her I would bring it home and repair it. It was tied and the border is awful, but I'm going to make it pretty for her! Of course the poly is in great shape! Here it is, and I'm proud of it. The second picture is the back of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails my-very-first-quilt-003.jpg   my-very-first-quilt-005.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM

My 1st was not my worst.
It was Scrappy Maple leave appliqued on pale yellow kettle cloth.
It went on an antique oak bed in my daughter's room and was very pretty.
J J
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM

I am not sure the first quilt is the worst. My first quilt was a mystery quilt and it is on our bed as I type. I think it looks great and so does Hubby. Also all the people who have seen it, like it. Sure we get better as we go along, but sometimes it just doesn't matter what the first quilt looks like. At least you, we, I got it done!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Been there, done that --- love my mother dearly, but she has in the past been my quilting stumbling block with her --- grandma would've done it such and sew --her grandmother was a wonderful seamstress in the nineteenth century and no treadle in her life! My first quilting attempts produced so many toe catchers, but they were mine. Finally got back into quiloting a few years ago and I would be sorely tempted to flush the anally retentive instructor --there wouldn't be a straight grain to work with taking a seam out that often, I don't care how carefully one picks apart a seam. I am learning that the qtr inch foot is my friend and to pit it aside for a while when I make the same mistake more than twice in the same spot. The pieces will be there when I get done with my cup of tea and the latest quilting magazine!

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I don't think anyone's first quilt is destined to be their worst, any more than their first pot roast will be their worst. I DO think your SIL needs to find someone besides those quilt shop instructors to learn from or she's apt to wind up never finding the joy in quilting. Sounds like they've gone way beyond being 'quilt police' right into being 'quilt gestapo'...ripping one seam 30 times, really??! That's SO wrong.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM

Actually took my first quilt to the Centennial Quilt Show Jan. 28, (2012), I have made too many to count since then but showing it reminded the first timers WE ARE STARTED with a FIRST quilt.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

My first quilt was definitely not my 'worst'. I knew I had to take my time with a stack and whack and the top turned out very well. I don't like the colors, but that is just the way it is.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 AM

I am very proud of my first quilt although I haven't made very many since. Even my husband still says my first quilt is the best one so far--it's a Turning Twenty pattern. I feel so sorry for your SIL--she must be tough to have endured that from her instructor. Tell her good job for sticking with it and not giving up on quilting.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I think my first quilt was quite respectable.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM

That's a put down she could do without. No quilt is your worst. What her teachers should have taught her is that she should always make a practice block or four. If there is a problem it is worked out in pratice, and she could see if the pattern she wants is right for her..