Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The first quilt you make will be your worst...? >

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM

My first project was a table topper. I just came across it and it is simply terrible. The first quilt I ever made is hilarious but loved deeply by its' 6 year old owner who has no idea how bad it is.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 AM

I'm thinking that that statement was to point out that you will improve with each quilt you make. I don't think it was meant to say the quilt she was working on was bad, although 30 times was a bit excessive. We all try to improve our skills as we go along. When I look at quilts made by others, I think my skills need a lot of work, but my friends and family think my quilts are wonderful. I will never enter a contest, so I guess that is good enough.
Sue
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 AM

My first was a sampler quilt . I don't think it was my worst one but there were some mistakes. I had all the knots from the quilting on the back. I was coming from a sewing background and didn't know about burying the knots. It was all hand pieced and hand quilted . I wish I had kept it, stupid me let my eldest have it when she moved out , she asked , and she let the dog chew it and bleached the color right out. Sad. Some of the worst ones are ones I rushed just to finish. I now need to go pull them at least one apart and do it right.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 AM

The more you sew and quilt the more you learn....and enjoy....and get hooked...
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM

My first was an a mess technically.It was to be a baby blanket for my first niece. I didn't know anyone who quilted. I took a one-sided pre-quilted fabric because how else was it quilted?? I used stitch witchery and used it to fuse down an applique i designed with teddy bears . After zigzaging the edges of my applique. [ It was hard as a board using Stitch Witchery but it was the early 80's and Wonder Under and Heat n Bond weren't around.] I layerd my quilt on a backing fabric then what do I do, I tied, it because it was already quilted. I used the pre-packed satin binding. I still like for a baby blanket because i think they like to feel it. I kept on trying I used to watch Georgia Bonestel on PBS and i learned to hand quilt from her by watching her show. I also joined a quild and went to quilt shows and started asking complete strangers how they did that. Its been an adventure.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 AM

This is very discouraging for Newbies. Here we spend all this money to buy all of the supplies needed to make our first quilt. And we are now hearing it wont be much better than rags for cleaning God I hope not. I am sure there will be a lot of differences in the technical skills. I can see a difference just in the initial assembly and where I am now. However, at this point (fingers crossed) things are lining up as they should.

Diane
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 AM

I also think the first time you are exceptionally careful and do good work when you piece it, But I agree with the quilting you improve each time you do one.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 AM

my first quilt was done one winter night a loooong time ago when I was so bored I went to my sewing room and dug up a bag of fabric squares I had bought at a garage sale that past summer and started sewing them together......using a 5/8"seam (from clothing sewing....) I was so please with the final "thing" I went out the next day and bought some fabric for the border, sewed it on and took it next door to my neighbor who was a prolific quilter....she saw that I was hooked and with a smile on her face, gave me a chunk of batting and told me to tie it with yarn...I went home, did that, was not happy (to much space in-between knots so I took button thread and did what is now called a "primitive" quilting stitch on diagonals between those yarn knots.....and that was 20+ yrs ago....I still have it, still put it on a bed occasionally.....my second one was more controlled...by that time I have obtained some quilting books, tools and decided on trying a pattern...Did Lady in the Lake...handquilted...showed how to by my dear neighbor and a few years later submitted it to a local quilt show and won first place for hand quilting.......that is my first footsteps into this wonderful world of quilting........I have never regretted started......it has been an excellent therapy for my life.....good times and bad...saved my sanity.........I do believe.......
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM

Hehehehe. I love the prequilted fabric part

Originally Posted by CoCoQuilter View Post
My first was an a mess technically.It was to be a baby blanket for my first niece. I didn't know anyone who quilted. I took a one-sided pre-quilted fabric because how else was it quilted?? I used stitch witchery and used it to fuse down an applique i designed with teddy bears . After zigzaging the edges of my applique. [ It was hard as a board using Stitch Witchery but it was the early 80's and Wonder Under and Heat n Bond weren't around.] I layerd my quilt on a backing fabric then what do I do, I tied, it because it was already quilted. I used the pre-packed satin binding. I still like for a baby blanket because i think they like to feel it. I kept on trying I used to watch Georgia Bonestel on PBS and i learned to hand quilt from her by watching her show. I also joined a quild and went to quilt shows and started asking complete strangers how they did that. Its been an adventure.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM

My first was a baby quilt that I made in a class. It turned out beautiful, at least to me. I had no babies to give it to until my first grandbaby was born many years later. My daughter still has it after 20 years. My worse quilts were the ones I made with polyester batting. I thought I wanted more fluff but that darn stuff kept cutting the threads so I know those quilts are probably long gone by now from those who I made them for. That was when I was quilting about 25 years ago. Then I got busy with working and haven't been able to really just play and quilt until now.