Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The first quilt you make will be your worst...? >

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

The first quilt you make will be your worst...?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM

I made my first quilt 52 years ago. I don't think it was that bad. My grandmother helped me. She quilted most of it. My stitches were a tad long. It was made from mostly old shirts that were my father's and uncle's from their childhood. Pretty neat.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 AM

My forst quilt is my Avatar quilt and I still love it. TOW is a simple pattern and all the seams don't match up perfectly. However I still get tons of compliments on it,
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
This is very discouraging for Newbies. Here we spend all this money to buy all of the supplies needed to make our first quilt. And we are now hearing it wont be much better than rags for cleaning God I hope not. I am sure there will be a lot of differences in the technical skills. I can see a difference just in the initial assembly and where I am now. However, at this point (fingers crossed) things are lining up as they should.

Diane
Not really the Newbies here have something I, and probly lots of others didn't, lots of internet access , this board , youtube with instructions etc. I had no one in the family to teach me , no one around me to help. I think now its just a matter of practice. At least you are not flying blind. :-)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM

Lol I completely disagree with that statement. I think my first quilt was one of my best. It was paper-pieced, so it was pretty accurate. It's been so loved that the binding is wearing.

I once threw away a quilt that was so awful I couldn't even let it lay on the garage floor under the car, and it was nowhere near my first quilt! It would probably be number 18 or 20, lol.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by SoSewSue View Post

I bet the 'worst' quilt we make is the first one we rush through - letting one to many 'that's good enoughs' go by.
I'm inclined to agree with SoSewSue - especially with the above statement. My first quilt top involved a lot of hyper focus and attention to detail, later tops, I've been a little more inclined to let "good enough" pass by until I stop to look at it, and then start ripping seams out again.

Cheers, K
Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Well, while my first was extremely simple (taught in a class) and no prize, it's well used and I learned a lot. I learned that not all purchased patterns are correct. When 2 of the sides didn't come out correctly, I had to make adjustments. It bothered me so much, that I re-did all the calculations and found an error in the pattern. Then I bought EQ and started designing my own. I learned fmq by trial and error and did leaves over the whole quilt with paper cutouts, not the easiest way to do it, but it turned out well, if I do say so myself. Learned to do a real mitered binding... and best of all I learned that I LOVE TO QUILT !!! It is now 3 years and 20 quilts later.

I'm glad that your SIL found a better place, so that she can enjoy the process : )
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM

My son has the first quilt I made- on his spare bed in his new house. My other son sleeps every night under my second quilt. Neither are prize winning quilts. I look at them and think- I've come a long way. I didn't have a walking foot (can we say "buckle") and I sewed on an old Kenmore that I bought a big foot for to fmq.

My latest quilt, hubby's is much better. I only have the binding to finish and he will be so happy. Only took 2 years to complete between other projects.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM

I really treasure my first quilt - it sits proudly on my couch for a tv lap quilt just for me. Ahh the memories of making it roll right back each time I use it.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Jacqiue, I think your first quilt is great. It's made in my favorite colors! I guess beauty is, indeed, in the beholder 8->

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I don't find that to be true...unless the person is self taught and has NO guidance by way of book, pattern, mentor, or You tube!
I mean really...my first "class" with a rotary cutter was a rail fence...not perfect I found out years later when I put it all together, but still NOT ugly! Of course it is not something I would pick now, the colors are not me, but it was a kit at the time and the only one I liked out of all the ones we had to choose from!

So yes, I suppose if you are "trying" out quilting, and not using the best fabrics, or fabrics you LOVE, then perhaps it is not the BEST quilt, but by golly I doubt it will ever be the worst!

come to think of it, I have a pix of my WORST quilt..not in construction but due to fabric choices..it was a mystery and my fabric choices were placed wrong!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307729[/ATTACH]
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM

I completely disagree! My first one is all hand pieced (yet to be hand quilted) and I was soooooo anal about perfect seams that I marked EVERY seam. ;-0 It is a queen size sampler called "Pathway to the Stars". I love it.

I am still particular.... but have learned to love my 1/4 inch foot.