Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ help! >

FMQ help!

FMQ help!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 AM

Default FMQ help!

I recently purchased a used Bernina (Grace Co.) quilting table. Love the table after I figured out how to get the quilt on. BUT (you knew it was coming!) I have a Singer Confidence machine and a Baby Lock Ellure. I am having trouble with getting EITHER machine to quilt (or even sew) on my frame. I have fooled with everything....tension, stitch length, speed etc and it seems that neither one wants to quilt "sideways." What a mess I've made!!!! I feel like it's "user error" but don't know whats up. I've gotten so frustrated that I've even though of going back to hand sewing EVERYTHING!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 AM

I don't have a frame, but I do have a Singer Confidence machine that I have FMQ all my quilts from wall to king on. The throat area is so small that I don't see how it can be used on a frame. I recently bought a Juki TL2010Q. It has a larger throat and can be put on a frame although I am so used to FMQing with no frame that I will never get one. Would love to see your setup.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

To use a regular machine sideways, you would need a darning foot and the ability to lower your feed dogs so the quilt can move freely. I am not familiar with that frame but you might have the quilt too tight for a stitch to form properly. Can you use it to do a straight stitch with the frame?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

What exactly happens when you try? Doesn't stitch at all? Thread breaks? Loops????
As mentioned above, feed dogs need to be down, the sandwich can't be too tight (should poke a finger from the back, you should be able to easily grab it with your other hand). Need to have darning foot.
Read the owner's manual to see instructions on darning.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

You are talking about a frame, right? What type and size needle are you using? That, along with how much tension you have on the quilt, can affect whether or not stitches form. You do not want the quilt drum tight in the frame; the rule-of-thumb (no pun intended) is to be able to stick a finger up from below the quilt sandwich and be able to grab it with your other hand. In other words, you want the quilt somewhat slack in the frame.

Needle size and type is important also. It sounds to me as if your needle may be too small. A finger needle will flex as you move the machine, especially when you move the machine sideways. You probably want to be using the largest needle you can for the machine you are using. (Most midarmers and longarmers use size 14 or 16 needles.) As to needle type, I'm not sure which one is best for a domestic machine on a frame. Maybe someone else knows. What flexing of the needle does is change the timing slightly between the needle and bobbin so the threads don't "catch" each other.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:42 AM

Make sure your frame is level as well as your poles. Use a level to do this. I have a Gravce frame too, and at first used my Singer 301. I was able to quilt a few quilts but it took me awhile to get decent stitches. Now I have a Janome 1600p and my quilting time is so much better. I also bought a speed control box and upgraded my carriage. Wow! What a difference that change made. If you don't want to change machines yet, go to allbrandsdotcom for a good price on an upgraded carriage. You won't regret it. Good luck. Pm me if you want more information on this setup. Happy to help.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 AM

If your quilt is too tight in the frame, it won't stitch correctly, either. A few pics. or at least a description of exactly what it is or is not doing will help us help you!