Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish Frugality >

Foolish Frugality

Foolish Frugality

Old 09-13-2013, 04:37 AM

Amen...very well said.....I am a new quilter...and I have had people tell me "you absolutely must never buy fabric at walmart, hobby lobby, etc...you must do this, you must do that". Thank goodness...being a true ol' Texas southern gal at heart, I took to heart about opinions the following old southern proverb years ago "Everyone has a rectum(uhmm....I am interjecting that nice word here...it ain't in the southern version)...ain't no one's special". I march to my own drummer...I find what works for me and what doesn't. I know what I can afford and what I can't and I am not going to wreck my household budget to fit what someone else's standards are.

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I just want to talk to new quilters out there that may be on a strict budget , don't think for a second that you have to have fancy tools and fabrics . Now if you can afford all the gadgets and luxurious fabrics that is wonderful , however , if you really want to sew, just remember that 20 or so years ago these things did not exist and many beautiful quilts were made. I know some VERY POOR ladies that still use cardboard templates cut from various food boxes and use every scrap that comes their way. So to those that can not afford to even buy "on sale" fabric do not loose hope if you want to make a quilt that will be used and loved. I myself quit sewing for a long time because I was so discouraged thinking I had to have the finished quilts longarm quilted to make them "worthy" After a swift kick I started sewing again, Do I make masterpieces? Show quilts? Absolutely not , and never will , but I do make quilts that I love , and that my friends is what counts. I am not trying to rant here , I just do not want someone that can not afford it to think that they can not sew . I know people that do not always know where their next light bill money is coming from and I would hate for them to think that they can not have an enjoyable hobby. I know a lady that has not had heat in her home for three years , She turns out many many quilts and sells them to buy her medications, You know where she gets fabric? She cuts up dime and quarter clothing from yard sales ! She loves to sew and it gives her extra cash. I have bought two of her quilts and they are holding up just fine . I hope this does not offend those that think you have to have the best , I just want those that can not afford it to know they can still enjoy a rewarding hobby Sometimes we are so fortunate that we have no idea, or we quickly forget just how tough some have it
Old 09-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I just want to talk to new quilters out there that may be on a strict budget , don't think for a second that you have to have fancy tools and fabrics . Now if you can afford all the gadgets and luxurious fabrics that is wonderful , however , if you really want to sew, just remember that 20 or so years ago these things did not exist and many beautiful quilts were made. I know some VERY POOR ladies that still use cardboard templates cut from various food boxes and use every scrap that comes their way. So to those that can not afford to even buy "on sale" fabric do not loose hope if you want to make a quilt that will be used and loved. I myself quit sewing for a long time because I was so discouraged thinking I had to have the finished quilts longarm quilted to make them "worthy" After a swift kick I started sewing again, Do I make masterpieces? Show quilts? Absolutely not , and never will , but I do make quilts that I love , and that my friends is what counts. I am not trying to rant here , I just do not want someone that can not afford it to think that they can not sew . I know people that do not always know where their next light bill money is coming from and I would hate for them to think that they can not have an enjoyable hobby. I know a lady that has not had heat in her home for three years , She turns out many many quilts and sells them to buy her medications, You know where she gets fabric? She cuts up dime and quarter clothing from yard sales ! She loves to sew and it gives her extra cash. I have bought two of her quilts and they are holding up just fine . I hope this does not offend those that think you have to have the best , I just want those that can not afford it to know they can still enjoy a rewarding hobby Sometimes we are so fortunate that we have no idea, or we quickly forget just how tough some have it
Thank you for this post.