Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish Frugality >

Foolish Frugality

Foolish Frugality

Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
I'd say quality of fabric is so important. When I hear talk about the fabrics people use I cringe sometimes. It really does take quality fabric (I didn't say expensive, they can be on sale, who knows if it's a sale piece or not?), but this is not the project to cheap out on.
Make it a point to NOT read my posts. Most of my fabric is thrift store or reclaimed. Nothing to do with quilting, but I found a cute skirt at a $5 bag rummage sale that I'm going to make my GD a dress from. Very pretty turquoise blue------I'm cute the skirt short to make her skirt and then cut the bodice from the bottom of the skirt. Fabric is in very good condition, so for about $.50, why not?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 AM

I'm with you on each and every statement. You are a wise quilter, not foolish frugality at all. Thank you for reviewing these items for all of our newer members and those just starting out on this adventure called quilting.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM

I was at a thrift shop about 2 weeks ago and picked up a beautiful Cathedral Window lap throw. It was made with deep red batiks and white. You guessed it: the white had red bled all over it, it was ruined. I think of how much money and time it took to make this throw and all she had to do was wash that fabric first. I did not buy it.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
An example of foolish frugality -

A neighbor lady was making a baby quilt. What she used for batting - against my advice - was a very old, very skewed, wonky, would not lay flat no how - blanket. Several years later, she did admit that using that blanket was a bad idea!

The really weird thing about her insisting on using that was that this person COULD afford to buy decent batting. She probably even had some around the house, because she did a lot of crafts.

There is nothing wrong with using recycled blankets, mattress pads, flannel sheets, etc. for the middle of a quilt.
But when the blanket was just plain out of whack - that was foolish because it was impossible to get the outer layers to lay flat.
I tried to use an uncooperative blanket once----------didn't take long to understand it belonged in the trash can.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

My definition of 'bad' materials (as far as using in a quilt) - I try to avoid using them -

Assumptions: Now I soak fabric in hot water until it cools down (at least an hour) - wash GENTLY with mild detergent - rinse GENTLY - and for yardage, I dry in the dryer or line dry (depends on whether dryer is handy or not). Bit and pieces are laid on a towel or dried on a rack.

1) It ravels badly - if I look at it wrong, it will be shedding threads - easy for the seams to come apart
2) It is flimsy - if it looks like it could be used for gauze bandages, it probably will not hold up well
3) It is still bleeding - if it's been rinsed and/or washed through 20 (really!) changes of water, and the water is still brighter than kool-aid - toss it - can't count on the next owner to use due diligence when washing it
4) If it is printed dreadfully off-grain (unless you don't care) - I try to check grain lines before purchase now
5) If it wrinkles badly -
6) If it smells funny
7) If used fabric - I give it some yank tests to make sure it hasn't gotten weak - some garments will have spots that are useless and still have usable areas - look for fading -

Sometimes an old quilt will still be good - except for all of the pieces cut from one or two particular fabrics. I hope to avoid that scenario.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Be free with your time because it can nourish your quilting spirit: attend quilt shows and be inspired rather than intimidated; join a guild and participate; encourage other quilters.
This one is my favorite and the best advice, in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Take a beginner's class: you'll meet other quilters, learn the basics, and you may make some new friends. After you learn the basics, your LQS will also give other classes which can be super fun.

Stop working when you are tired.

Buy a bit extra of each fabric. Better to use the leftovers from several quilts to make a scrappy quilt than discover you need a bit more fabric to finish the quilt and that fabric isn't available any more.

Bought patterns: go online to check for corrections. You may be shocked!

Make a sample block if it's a complicated pattern: it's a good way to make sure the directions are correct (see above). It will also tell you how big that block really is.

Change the blade in the rotary cutter when it starts "skipping" cutting threads. BTW, you can turn the blade over and get a few more hours of cutting from it.

Keep a notebook of tips and tricks and your personal discoveries along with photos of your finished quilts, etc.

Never hesitate to ask for help!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

The one thing I will not do without .... titanium blades...they are worth the extra pennies
Old 09-11-2013, 03:11 AM

Isn't what this board is about? Sharing experiences.........everyone just shares .......sometimes their thoughts or
things that have happened to them on their road of quilting. I try to read this board every morning with my cup of
coffee and I really really love to hear what everybody says. I don't wash my fabric either but now after reading this,
maybe I should. I usually give away all the quilts I make. AND there's no "my way or the Highway" Everybody's
road to a quilt is different........different strokes for different folks!!! Thanks All..........
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I look for name brand men's Egyptian cotton dress shirts at thrift stores. I don't find many but when I do it's usually several at one time. That is the best cotton fabric you can buy, that's why the new shirt cost $100 or more at most men's shops. My last best buy was five Canali men's dress shirts for $6 each!!!!! They didn't get cut up. DH wears them. I saved enough money to buy fabric for a long time. LOL I think the best money saving idea is to know the quality by brand name so when it's a good buy you know it.