Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish Frugality >

Foolish Frugality

Foolish Frugality

Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Add to "Foolish Frugality" scrimping at the fabric store. Trying to buy as little as possible often leads to a trip back to buy more! BTDT... (been there, done that.)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Quilting is one of those great things that lets us all make our own decisions. There is no "right" or "wrong."

I'll agree with you on sharp pins, needles and rotary blades. And definitely agree that we should do our best with cutting and stitching.

However, I never pre-wash or make test blocks. Well, almost never wash - I do if it is required for a swap. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe some part of me likes living on the edge. Whatever, it works for me, so that is what I do. If prewashing and/or making test blocks is what somebody else needs to do to enjoy their time with fabric, then that's what they should do.

I think the most important thing is for people to do what they like to do. If they can't stand anything but judge-worthy work, then that's fine. If they are okay with the galloping horse theory, that's fine too. It's not a factory!
I wholly agree. I think you've got quilting in the proper perspective - well said.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Add to "Foolish Frugality" scrimping at the fabric store. Trying to buy as little as possible often leads to a trip back to buy more! BTDT... (been there, done that.)
I would rather have 1/4 yard left over than be one inch short! But with the price of fabric now, I do understand the need to try to be conservative.

That applies to clothing patterns, too. Especially when the print is large or the fabric or print is directional.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 AM

Let me first say, this thread is one reason I read my Quilting Board every day possible. In addition to all the comments above is, don't beat yourself up when you make mistakes, you will learn from them. Try something out of your comfort zone, it may just ramp up the creative juices.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I'd like to add: Changing your rotary cutter blade when you have to cut "twice" to make the cut. I tried to extend the life of my last blade and when I finally put in a new one it literally "cut like butter". So much easier than pushing hard to cut fabric and not taking it easy on my newly repaired rotator cuff. Not smart. So, my advice would be that when it becomes hard to cut - change the blade, you'll be glad you did.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by judi wess View Post
Let me first say, this thread is one reason I read my Quilting Board every day possible. In addition to all the comments above is, don't beat yourself up when you make mistakes, you will learn from them. Try something out of your comfort zone, it may just ramp up the creative juices.
Amen to this! I am making my first Jenny Doan quilt using pre-cuts and it's the most boring quilt I've ever made. I found out that I like to be challenged mentally when quilting. This 'Square in a Square' quilt has me leaving my sewing room after just a few minutes of work on it. I can't bear to be bored. I've never been bored sewing before. I will choose my projects better for now on. They must be challenging!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 AM

In principal I agree with all of the suggestions, in practice I don't (won't say never) dosom of them very often. Like washing fabric, for instance. You may cringe at the thought of buying old clothing at a thrift store, but I simply love some of the colors and designs and I make many different kinds of quilts. Anything bought at a thrift store gets washed in HOT water, no matter the fabric content, even though I try to stay with cottons, wools and natural fabrics. I'm a nut for buying new gadgets. Unfortunately, many of them I haven't used and probably never will. They make all those new things look soooo easy, but often the opposite is true. Mainly, I just have FUN, that is why I quilt.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Part of making a quilt is the fun I have shopping for fabric, using new tools and notions, trying new threads, buying a new quilt book or pattern. If I couldn't enjoy quilt shopping then making a new quilt would lose some of it's excitement. I don't want quilting and frugality to mix together in my world. I'll use frugality in other areas. LOL
Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Not a new topic - but I think we have members that have recently joined this forum.

These are MY opinions on some of the following.

1) Skipping the washing before cutting step. I prefer to know what kind of manners my fabrics have before I use them in a project. I would rather spend 20 minutes ahead of time than hours later trying to salvage something. I have this idea that commercially dyed fabrics should not need further treatment to be usable. I also want to know how my fabric is 'au naturel' with the sizing removed.

2) Trying to use fabric that should be discarded in a project - if it is a bleeder, sleazy, scratchy - or if it just looks awful in the project - it really will not get better with age or time!

3) Using poor quality thread, dull needles, dull blades, dull seam rippers.

4) Sloppy cutting and sewing - it really takes very little more time to do it carefully than sloppily - and it takes a lot more time to redo than to do correctly the first time.

4) Not making a test block - sometimes the templates/instructions for a block are wrong - it saves time and aggravation to make sure that the directions actually work before cutting out many pieces.

4)
We're supposed to use templates and read instructions? I seldom, almost never, use a pattern of any sort besides seeing a design I love and copying it on my own.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
Buy the best quality fabrics and threads that fit your budget. Don't assume that you can't find quality items at affordable places. Learn what quality is....
Most of what I use is not purchased for quality. I make a charity rag quilt just about every other week. I have bunches of thrift store or inherited fabric. I'm not trying out for blue ribbons, just gifts for ill people.