Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish Frugality >

Foolish Frugality

Foolish Frugality

Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Power Poster

Default Foolish Frugality

Not a new topic - but I think we have members that have recently joined this forum.

These are MY opinions on some of the following.

1) Skipping the washing before cutting step. I prefer to know what kind of manners my fabrics have before I use them in a project. I would rather spend 20 minutes ahead of time than hours later trying to salvage something. I have this idea that commercially dyed fabrics should not need further treatment to be usable. I also want to know how my fabric is 'au naturel' with the sizing removed.

2) Trying to use fabric that should be discarded in a project - if it is a bleeder, sleazy, scratchy - or if it just looks awful in the project - it really will not get better with age or time!

3) Using poor quality thread, dull needles, dull blades, dull seam rippers.

4) Sloppy cutting and sewing - it really takes very little more time to do it carefully than sloppily - and it takes a lot more time to redo than to do correctly the first time.

4) Not making a test block - sometimes the templates/instructions for a block are wrong - it saves time and aggravation to make sure that the directions actually work before cutting out many pieces.

4)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

Buy the best quality fabrics and threads that fit your budget. Don't assume that you can't find quality items at affordable places. Learn what quality is....
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM

I always wash my yardage fabric. Not the charms or Jellies. I like it this way. Saves on the bleeders, scratchy and no good...
Measure twice, cut once.
Buy the best you can afford and depending on usage, go with what works. A dog quilt is fine with lower quality fabric...if you are spending hours on a heirloom, then spend the money for quality fabric.
Change needles often...seriously, is it worth the aggravation of a few pennies.
It's your craft and your signature....how do you want to be perceived?
Do what makes YOU happy!!!! Never settle for less!!!
K
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM

I agree with everything here, , whilst I am fairly new to quilting, I have been sewing forever and previously had a wedding dress business, and the old addage you can't make a silk purse out if a sows ear comes to mind. If you want your work to look its best, choose quality fabric, pre wash, measure twice cut once and ensure you seam allowance is accurate. Half a mm on one piece will be multiplied by the amount of blocks in your quilt.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 AM

I learned the lesson the hard way on not doing a sample block first. When you do a sampler quilt hosted by a quilt store, they give you enough fabric for the block, but not for mistakes!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 AM

* You can do any block/design/technique you want! We all learn by trying new things. Find something that makes your heart happy or intrigues you and just 'do it'! (It also teaches patience, good ripping skills, and satisfaction)

* Ask questions! Either here or to your support group, or both!

* Share what you learn! Techniques are constantly being changed, improved, reverting to an older method, developed.

* There IS more than one way to do any thing.

* Document somewhere (blog, scrapbook, dairy, log) your quilts as you make them AND

* Label your quilt with pertinent info so in 50+ years, the history of it is preserved!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 AM

Remember your time and effort have value too. Many non-quilter don't see value, because they don't understand and mostly have no clue how much effort and work are in a quilt.

So just because people don't know the value of a quilt, doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Cut accurately.
Figure out where that pesky 1/4" seam is on YOUR machine and double check when you start a project as fabric and thread can make a difference.
Learn to press carefully. Watch out for those little tucks that sometimes get pressed in.
If you want to make a quilt quickly, choose an easy pattern, don't rush thru a more involved one and cut corners on your quality. It is quicker to be accurate than to rip!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 AM

I like to add , not taking the time to de- lint your machine! and not reading all of the directions prior to starting a project.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I guess I have lucky, I never make a sample block. When I start a quilt I am committed to make it no matter what. I just know it will go well. Dumb luck I guess.
I always wash and dry fabrics before using and I wash and dry the finished quilt. Luckily the fabrics I buy don't bleed or not much. From reading on this board the more expensive fabrics bleed more than mid cost. Since I give most of my quilts away, I only buy fabrics I can afford. I use quilts for our bed(about6-8) from the same fabrics and they have held up very well.