Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish Frugality >

Foolish Frugality

Foolish Frugality

Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Use poor quality products and make a poor quality quilt. Use poor quality tools and get frustrated. Quilting is not a cheap hobby unless you are making a quilt to stay warm out of whatever the way quilting began. Keep an open mind about new quilting techniques and tools. What I have seen from many poster here is the instant poohing of a new tool without ever having used it because they think it's unnecessary but mostly because they think it cost too much.
Many times one CAN "get by" with so-so tools/equipment.

However, if one can afford to have a tool that works well (and is used!), many times it's worth the investment. The savings in time and effort more than justify the tool.

(Not so long ago, many people did not have indoor plumbing, electricity, and telephone services - it's only been within the last very few years ago that many people have electronic devices)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Another thing:

The acrylic rulers CAN wear done with a lot of use (some of mine did, anyway) - and I was wondering why the cut line was not straight when I moved the ruler and I had been very careful to not move the fabric - it finally occurred to me to set the ruler on edge on my kitchen counter. Lo and behold, I had worn a shallow curve into the edge of the ruler.
Hard as it was for me, I put the ruler in the trash. It wasn't even broken! I didn't want anyone else to cut crooked pieces with it.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM

I'd say quality of fabric is so important. When I hear talk about the fabrics people use I cringe sometimes. It really does take quality fabric (I didn't say expensive, they can be on sale, who knows if it's a sale piece or not?), but this is not the project to cheap out on.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Many times one CAN "get by" with so-so tools/equipment.

However, if one can afford to have a tool that works well (and is used!), many times it's worth the investment. The savings in time and effort more than justify the tool.

(Not so long ago, many people did not have indoor plumbing, electricity, and telephone services - it's only been within the last very few years ago that many people have electronic devices)

True, but to say a tool is not needed and the person never had one to compare is not worth my time to listen. I'm not into the we use to to it this way without any of the new things we have now. That makes no sense to me. My great grandmother use to wash with a rub board, I'm not doing that when a washing machine is in every appliance store, no more then I'd cut 200 hst squares with scissors.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Go with the colors/patterns/designs that "talk" to you. Quilt for fun, therapy and relaxation. Do not make it a chore. Sew with "good- happy thoughts". Spend time to watch "utube" lessons, you will learn alot. Quilting is a lifetime adventure, you will get better in time.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
True, but to say a tool is not needed and the person never had one to compare is not worth my time to listen. I'm not into the we use to to it this way without any of the new things we have now. That makes no sense to me. My great grandmother use to wash with a rub board, I'm not doing that when a washing machine is in every appliance store, no more then I'd cut 200 hst squares with scissors.
If one can achieve the desired effect without the new tool, then technically the new tool is not needed. Some people enjoy doing things the "old" way, just as some people prefer vanilla ice cream . . . and others prefer the newest gadgets/tools and the latest flavors. Neither is wrong.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Quilting is one of those great things that lets us all make our own decisions. There is no "right" or "wrong."

I'll agree with you on sharp pins, needles and rotary blades. And definitely agree that we should do our best with cutting and stitching.

However, I never pre-wash or make test blocks. Well, almost never wash - I do if it is required for a swap. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe some part of me likes living on the edge. Whatever, it works for me, so that is what I do. If prewashing and/or making test blocks is what somebody else needs to do to enjoy their time with fabric, then that's what they should do.

I think the most important thing is for people to do what they like to do. If they can't stand anything but judge-worthy work, then that's fine. If they are okay with the galloping horse theory, that's fine too. It's not a factory!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I pre wash everything. Small scraps go into lingerie bags and queen-sized knee-highs. Long strips get folded and a few long stitches so they don't come apart and get tangled up. Color catchers catch any bleeds. I also use hot water to wash everything. Unless not cotton. We had a lot of rain this weekend so I spread some larger shirts and a dress across a sheet attached to some chicken wire and clipped it so wouldn't blow away. Got rid of a lot of odor from perfumes.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 AM

lighting is always on the top of my list.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 AM

I would also like to add that if I am not enjoying the quilting experience (whether fatigue or just not in the mood), I will leave my project for a day or two. If you are driven by timelines or just want to get a quilt finished, sometimes it shows in your work. I like to think my quilts are made with "love."