Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Free Fuse Basting Powder Has anyone tried this yet?

Free Fuse Basting Powder Has anyone tried this yet?

Just saw this Free Fuse Basting Powder and couldn’t find any reviews for it. If you have tried it, how did it work, how much did it cover, was it easy to use. Any pros or capons
    Thanks
    Patty

I have been using Quilter's Select Free Fuse Basting Powder for awhile now. I bought the refill package and put it in a large kitchen shaker I had. I like it as there is no mess or over spray and no smell. It's perfect for applique and small quilts. I can be very precise where I want the powder. I will probably use it to baste my next large quilt as it only takes a little and it's repositional. I think it's a great product.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I haven't tried it but just now read about it and I read the reviews also. It is $20 and does a double quilt or so it says. Refills are $10. A king size is said to cost $30. The video looks like it does a very nice job but I don't see myself spending that much.

It's a product that I will never buy simply because it is a powder. Powder floats in the air and I don't want to breathe it in. I use basting spray grudgingly, but not very often, because I don't like the idea of the glue droplets going into my lungs.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    It's a product that I will never buy simply because it is a powder. Powder floats in the air and I don't want to breathe it in.
    It does not float in air. I have been using it instead of sprays since it came available. It's much better then the older versions of adhesive powder. I don't need but a little to baste a large quilt and the value is much better then the quality basting spray and no mess or fumes.

Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    I haven't tried it but just now read about it and I read the reviews also. It is $20 and does a double quilt or so it says. Refills are $10. A king size is said to cost $30. The video looks like it does a very nice job but I don't see myself spending that much.
    I use a much smaller amount then called for and it works fine. I buy the refill packs, less then a can of basting spray and lasts longer.

Interesting.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I use Elmers Washable school glue straight out of the bottle. I can do a queen size both sides with one small bottle. Cost $1. No fumes. No overspray. Does not gum up needle when it dries. It washes out.
    Alyce

I use Elmer's too but like this dry fuse better. I was searching for a good sale and found a quilt shop online going out of business and bought a lot of refill packs 1/2 off. I'm good for a long time.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

"I use a much smaller amount then called for and it works fine. I buy the refill packs, less then a can of basting spray and lasts longer." Thanks for that info FruitLoop.

I haven't seen a link to purchasing this powder yet. Is there one?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I haven't seen a link to purchasing this powder yet. Is there one?
    this is one source, there are others
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...hoCPmkQAvD_BwE
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

this is one source, there are others
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...hoCPmkQAvD_BwE
    Wrong product.

Fast Fuse is a Quilter's Select brand. It is not Bo-Nash. Bo-Nash is permanent. Fast Fuse is basting and will wash away.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 05-15-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Wrong product.

Fast Fuse is a Quilter's Select brand. It is not Bo-Nash. Bo-Nash is permanent. Fast Fuse is basting and will wash away.
    Oooops, here's a link to Free Fuse from Quilters Select, which is what was asked about, not Fast Fuse https://store.thequiltshow.com/Quilt...noti-ffuse.htm
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Oops for me too. LOL It is Free Fuse not Fast Fuse.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-15-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Where do you buy the Free-Fuse and refills? Thank you.

The video says that it does not was out, but either does 505 Spray.. I might try it sometime! The ironing part looks like a pain for larger quilts

Quote Originally Posted by YC Quilter View Post
    The video says that it does not was out, but either does 505 Spray.. I might try it sometime! The ironing part looks like a pain for larger quilts
    Free Fuse does wash out. Go to 4:14 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SO7yLFSf0