Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frogging "tools" recommendations please!! >

Frogging "tools" recommendations please!!

Frogging "tools" recommendations please!!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:33 PM

For unquilting, I use a box knife blade. I pull the sandwich apart as much as I can and just touch the blade to the threads, and they cut like butter. This does leave bits of threads, so I run a cheap emery board across the fabric and it picks the threads right up. No, I have never cut the backing or batting, and the blade doesn't get anywhere close to the top.

For unsewing, I picked up Ricky Tims' frogging technique. He takes the piece in question, snips the first 4-5 threads, then with hands on both sides of the patch or piece in question, he rips. Literally. Just like ripping yardage. He yanks the seam apart. I wouldn't do this on anything bias, though.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 PM

Are you removing quilting, or taking apart blocks? I haven't used a trimmer myself, but I saw someone removing quilting with one, and I was *amazed* at how fast it went! If I was removing a lot of quilting, I would buy one in a heartbeat to try it (and return it if it didn't work well). For disassembling blocks, I would stick with my seam ripper - it's fine for single seams.

When I saw the moustache trimmer being used, there were two people working together. They laid the quilt out backing side up (so that if they nicked the fabric, they didn't ruin the top). Then one person pulled the backing up while holding down the batting and front, and the other person did a back-and-forth with the trimmer along the backing. They basically peeled the backing off (it kind of reminded me of skinning a carcass). The moustache trimmer meant that more than one line of stitches could be clipped at once, so it went really quickly. They removed the fairly dense FMQ from a full-sized quilt in about half an hour. Obviously they had practice, but it worked really well. They used a sticky lint roller on the front to get off the thread bits.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 AM

I love my "beard trimmer". I have worn out one and now have a new one.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:23 PM

I have one purchased at my LQS called the "Quick Ripper". It stays right next to my sewing machine all of the time.

I use it a lot, but not for every single ripout. If there is a lock stitch, I use the clover seam ripper. You also have to be very careful you don't cut the fabric.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:07 AM

I had to rip a entire baby quilt, ran to my LQS and bought a shaver thingy!! Worked great, did have to be careful not to cut fabric. Don't use it often but it works pretty good after a small learning curve.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 AM

I use mine all the time. I paid $20 for from a quilt show vender. I peeled off the label and discovered it was a Wahl trimmer. I went to Walmart and looked at the razors and they were around the same price. Then I went over to the pet department and they had them for $8.97. That was a few years ago so I don't know if the price is the same. It's worth checking out.
I found that if you use it on an ironing pad or some other non-slick surface and anchor the bottom piece down with one hand or pin then it will cut the threads better.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:38 AM

For seam ripping, try and eyebrow razor. It is small, has a sharp little blade with little plastic "fingers" covering the blade. Just barely touch the stitch and it cuts. Works pretty fast too. I have never cut the fabric with one. Also cheap!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.
In answer to one question, this is "unquilting", not simply "unsewing".

Neither of them are a joy.

I have a box knife blade, so I will try Peckish's suggestion first. I may "sneak" and "borrow" hubby's mustache trimmer too, just to "test" if it works. Come to think of it, I think the horse trimmers are out in the barn... may have to "test" those out as well, and see what happens.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM

I paid $10 for my mustache trimmer. Works great.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 PM

I have a stencil cutter I use, not real handy if your doing it yourself but can be done. It would be a breeze if one person was hold it while the other touched the thread to cut...it only takes a tough with the blade and its cut.