Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated >

Frustrated

Frustrated

Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 PM

Whenever I make a quilt and give it away, I tell the person that if they don't like it, won't use it, or decide it doesn't "work" for them anymore, they should give it back to me rather than letting it languish in a closet somewhere. I love every piec I have made. If they don't like it (as it is) at the outset, keep it or give it to someone who will cherish it. Every quilt I make is much more than just the cloth I use and the cost of my time: I put my heart into every one. It should be loved and feel special to someone.

Otherwise, they may as well go to Walmart and pick up a cheap comforter.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Re: pieces not fitting together. I had this happen with some lone star pieces. I had them pinned to my design wall for quite awhile and the fabric had stretched from hanging. Didnt realize until I decided to finish and it was so stretched I dumped it. Couldnt deal with unpicking and re-cutting to make make it fit! Had to move on and cut the stress
Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 PM

LOL This scenario sounds so familiar. Here's a thought:
Leave it exactly like it is. Find a nice box or attach some unwanted fabric around a large shoebox. Place the quilt topping (only) pieces inside the box, put a nice ribbon around the box, and add a card. The card could read "This quilt was once very loved, but alas, it was not meant to be. Please enjoy whatever you will do with these pieces, and here's hoping that whomever is gifted your handiwork, will treasure it exactly as you have envisioned it." Then leave it in the office of the church of your choice. They will know the right person to finish it.

I wouldn't have gotten through 3 different people as you have. I have had a few become UFO's that have been donated to the local church. I always thought I would box them up nicely and discreetly leave them. Each one ended up in bags of donated fabrics to the church quilters.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Those family members don't sound like people who would appreciate a quilt. I think they are "blanket people." Quilt for someone who appreciates the quilt, or for yourself, but not for "blanket people". Now go enjoy your quilting.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM

I would have to agree with all those who advised you not to try to please everyone! I had a beloved Aunt who told me a quilt was too busy! I made it as I wanted and gave it to my husband! He loves it just the way I made it.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I don't have a way to post a picture right now. I will post a pic as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for the support. I forget that I always put everyone else first and need to be reminded that all bending over backwards for people gets you is a bad back.

Yep....that is for sure!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Wow, I agree with everyone, try starching and pressing, take a deep breath and think about making this for youself, you were excited about the pattern and the fabric. Wave bye bye to the ungrateful people (metaphorically) relax and enjoy it for yourself, if that doesn't work as someone else suggested bag it up and pass it on, good luck. x
Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 PM

I agree - it's their loss. Perhaps it's time to forget about the whole thing, as you don't want to keep thinking about their lack of gratitude every time you see it!

Pass the half-finished quilt on to your guild or some such. The money you spent on the fabric is long gone and you'll never get the time back.

Instead, use the time to make something you want. Now would be a good time to start one of those bucket list quilts - just for you. Happy quilting whatever you decide!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Power Poster

What a ton of good advice.....time to move on and get back to the quiltmaking you love. I wanted to post something earlier but bad words kept creeping in, I knew the others would say it nicely. Happy quilting.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 AM

totally agree..their loss is your gain