Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting?????? >

Fusible batting??????

Fusible batting??????

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM

I love Hobbs Fusible - crawling around on the floor to iron it (TWICE! Once for the quilt top and once for the batting! ACK!) is not fun.

But I have made a waist-high 8' square basting table out of sawhorses and 2x4"s and 4'x8' sheets of OSB ply split lengthwise and basting is now much easier, whether I'm ironing, pinning or tag-basting. It's still no real joy to baste a quilt, but I try to set up the table and do a bunch of quilts all at the same time, and even though it's a pain in the neck to set up, my knees and back aren't screaming at me for the next week.

The Hobbs Fusible feels stiff when you've ironed it, but I think that that's actually an advantage when you're free-motion quilting - you can push the quilt around more easily when it's not flopping around, limp.

And it softens up after only one laundering - I can't tell the difference between a quilt made with fusible and a quilt made with Hobbs Premium or Heirloom after it's been washed. I really love the stuff!

Connecting Threads has all their batting on sale right now - 30% off and free shipping on orders over $50:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...v--BattingSale

I wish they made the fusible in the 120x120" size.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

I did some crib and 1 lap size. Cribs worked very well; I think I won't do anything larger in the future.
I domake fairly large cribs, smaller through than a lap
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Have not heard of this, I will have to check it out. Thank you for info.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM

One quilt shop I frequent, only sells the Hobbs Fusible, have not tried it. Since I have to lay my quilts on my basement carpet and have a burn mark on it, have stayed away from it. Maybe I am missing something. I am always happy to get the quilt sandwiched together and start quilting.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm new to quilting and have made a 24" square wall quilt. I've just used Tailor brand Quilter's Fusible Batting for the first time. (In fact, this is the first quilted item I've ever used ANY batting on and it the fusible batting seemed the easiest choice.

So far, I've only steamed the quilt top and backing to it. It seems quite stiff and slightly, hmmm, what's the term here? Puckered? Dimpled? all over, front and back. Does the stiffness go away when the quilting is done? Does the quilt have to be washed when finished to remove the glue or does it just get softer and allow the fabric to "fall away" from the batting. Maybe it's just not noticeable when done?

Thanks!
Helen
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 AM

I attempted to use it on a twin-sized quilt. After wrestling with it for a couple of hours, trying to get the sandwich smooth, I quit. There were too many wrinkles and puckers. I'm saving it for smaller projects....probably no larger than a placemat...and I don't plan on buying any more, ever.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM

I love it and would use for all , it is expensive, but worth it for placemats, purses, and alot of other.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Wouldn't use it for any large quilts. It's very stiff.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM

I have used it on several large quilts, I think it's a bit thin. haven't seen it in anything other than low loft.

But it is easy and I like it.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I'm new to quilting and have made a 24" square wall quilt. I've just used Tailor brand Quilter's Fusible Batting for the first time. (In fact, this is the first quilted item I've ever used ANY batting on and it the fusible batting seemed the easiest choice.

So far, I've only steamed the quilt top and backing to it. It seems quite stiff and slightly, hmmm, what's the term here? Puckered? Dimpled? all over, front and back. Does the stiffness go away when the quilting is done? Does the quilt have to be washed when finished to remove the glue or does it just get softer and allow the fabric to "fall away" from the batting. Maybe it's just not noticeable when done?

Thanks!
Helen
When the quilt is washed, the glue dissolves and the quilt is soft.