Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gammill Owners - Questions and Thoughts >

Gammill Owners - Questions and Thoughts

Gammill Owners - Questions and Thoughts

Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM

I bought my innova with the intentions of starting a business immediately. I think that it will take some time before you feel comfortable doing customer quilts and that is based solely on how much time you will have to practice. I bought mine with a computer system thinking I could start right away. And while it didn't take me too long to put out quality work..it would have if I was doing hand guided work. I started accepting customers 6 months after receiving my equipment. I'm making payments but not relying on my business to make the payments and that has worked for me. I'd probably be scrambling and putting a lot more effort into finding customers if I needed that income to pay for the equipment it but I'm active duty military with a 2 year old so I still work full time too. Doing charity quilts is a great way to get some experience without quite as much stress...good luck!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
I bought my innova with the intentions of starting a business immediately. I think that it will take some time before you feel comfortable doing customer quilts and that is based solely on how much time you will have to practice. I bought mine with a computer system thinking I could start right away. And while it didn't take me too long to put out quality work..it would have if I was doing hand guided work. I started accepting customers 6 months after receiving my equipment. I'm making payments but not relying on my business to make the payments and that has worked for me. I'd probably be scrambling and putting a lot more effort into finding customers if I needed that income to pay for the equipment it but I'm active duty military with a 2 year old so I still work full time too. Doing charity quilts is a great way to get some experience without quite as much stress...good luck!
This is such great feedback, thank you!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM

I started with a table top frame (B-line) and a Juki machine. No one in my area had the same set up, so I was on my own. About 2 years later, I upgraded from the Juki to a Handiquilter16. Mine was a sit down model..I modified the carriage on the frame to hold the HQ16. That machine was a work horse. I found a Gammill used, local to me. My husband agreed it was time for me to jump up. I sold the other set up to a friend and she is still using it heavily. I am not sorry I started with a smaller set up. I learned alot - its a process for me. Some people can jump right in. That was not the case for me. I do have customers, but I dont' have to quilt for others to pay for my frame. I have a Gammill Classic Plus (the + is the stitch regulator). I doubt if I will ever upgrade to a computer assisted machine..... I like guiding the machine myself and am getting comfortable with free motion , SID and light custom designs. I think I may be ready to quilt more for others as my youngest just started driving. I will be free-ER to set up a routine to get more quilting done. Maybe one of the long armers who are close to you would be willing to share about their workload/opportunities in the area/etc. Some will not be willing, but in my area, they are very helpful. I guess it boils down to what will work for you. For me it was worth working up to my current set up. I would have been unhappy to spend all that money, only to find out that I didn't like it or was awful at it. Let us know how it works out!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM

I have a Gammill Premier Plus, and I love it. It's on a 12-foot frame and has served my needs well.Bought it new about three years ago, and to be honest with you, I have been sorely tempted to upgrade to at least the Classic, possibly with the Statler Stitcher. I bought mine new, from a dealer in Snellville, GA and have not regretted the purchase for a minute. And I am sure if I carry out my temptation for the Classic, this will be the same dealer I will use again. And they will take trade-ins...oh, and I paid cash for my system so payments were not an issue. Just as a side note; we have a Babylock dealer here, and I almost bought one from them until it came to the setup in my home details...they wouldn't! I told them I was a widow and didn't have anyone who could help me...and it didn't make any difference to them...so apparently, my purchase didn't either. I felt like, if they had that attitude about a $10,000 cash sale...it would be a lot worse if I needed help with a ten dollar part. So...no way! The GA dealer I bought from is wonderful...anything I need help with, I just call and my help is there!
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even if you get a smaller system or a gently-used one,I would recommend Gammill both in terms of quality and support. Good luck, let us know what you do!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 AM

My experience with Gammill support has been great, too. The dealer closest to me is about an hour and a half drive away, but if I have a problem, Doug will coach me through it on the phone to take care of the problem myself. He really knows what he's doing, and is a really great guy. I also took a Gammill Maintenance class from him once, and highly recommend that to you if it is available.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM

You mentioned in another thread that your budget is rather limited. I didn't even realize you could get a used Gammill for just 3-4000. I've used a Gammill several times, but the one I rented time on was one of the top of the line 30,000ish models. I liked it, but not as well as others that were much, much less expensive.

The dealer from whom I rented time had problems several times with the tension. Once I had to stitch down some loops in the back that we didn't notice until it was too late to go back and another time she only charged me for supplies (batting and thread) rather than the quilting time because I had loops in multiple places on the back. It worked out okay for me because that one was just a scrappy for around the house. She actually rescheduled another time I was supposed to use the long arm because she was waiting on a part to fix the tension. I think tension sounds like one of the biggest problems with multiple brands of machines though so that might be normal.

If this one is in your budget and is in good condition, you're probably getting a really good deal. I hope it works out for you! I understand your worry about spending so much money. I'm struggling with the same thing. It really is a lot of money, but Gammill certainly has a good reputation.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 AM

I love Gammills but more the older one than the new ones. That being said I would never pay the price of a Gammill. there are too many less expensive machines that are just as good and IMHO one or two are better. You will have to decide if you can make a go of the business in your area. How many quilters are already there and what do they charge per inch? It took me 3 months before I started quilting for money and about a year and a half before I started to have a good following. There are only 2 other quilters that are competitors and we are all friends. If you think you would love it than find a way to quilt. It does not have to cost what a Gammill costs! Try a Nolting I love love love mine. I bought it for about half the price of the Gammill.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM

I bought my Gammill Premier Plus with me only in mind...I was paying a fortune to have my quilts quilted. So I decided to buy a smaller machine. My husband thinks I need to do others quilts however, I still have 27 more of my own to go an I don't want to do anyone elses...LOL. Actually I am a tad afraid to work on someone elses quilt. I think I am confident enough as I haven't messed up on anything of mine. However this year I plan to do at least 1 to 3 other quilts monthly with pantographs for others as I have owned my machine now for 5 or 6 year and it is time...LOL. I'm not looking to make a fortune off these people, just enough to supplement my thread and batting.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:02 AM

Hi,
I have a room above my garage I would like to move my longarm in to. Does anyone know if I can put it in a room that will freeze?? Will this hurt the machine?? How about the minimum temp?? It's a great room, I would like to not have to heat it all the time. Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Just a comment from a quilter who considered a long arm.
1. make sure you enjoy the process and have no physical impediment to doing a lot of work on the machine. A good friend tried for a year to do stand up work and her back could not stand it. She now has a sit down machine and is in heaven.
2. source your accessories and additional items like batting, backing and thread. There will probably be inventory. Decide ahead of time what batting and backing you will work with and how much work/time you will do with and without pay to resolve customer issues. You will be surprised what they will expect of you. Inventory takes room.
3. understand the business and sales tax items applicable to your state.
4. please be honest with customers about your ability. I appreciated one long arm quilter who was upfront on what she was comfortable doing. Note: I do not yet do feathers etc.
5. Consider doing as many charity tops as you can to learn how to use the machine and resolve issues before you start doing for money.
6. Have a written contract ahead of time and make sure all costs are explained with a written document that you can hand to a customer before doing any work. So many problems are due to misunderstandings. Know how to explain to a customer that you cannot do her quilt for the .......reasons.