Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG - freezer paper or precut hex >

GFG - freezer paper or precut hex

GFG - freezer paper or precut hex

Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 AM

I like the cardstock because it seems to have a perfect shape.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 AM

I am using freezer paper to make my GFG quilted wall hangings. The hexie is 1/4 inch and it is working out quite good. I am on my 2nd wall-hanging using the "Quilts from Grandmother's Garden" Jaynette Huff's book. I use my printer to run the hexagons onto the freezer paper. It is time consuming to cut them out but I like the freezer paper method the best. I do put a hole in the center of my hexagons to help get them out ot the fabric easier.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 AM

I love using cardstock. I traced mine onto a plastic template material, then cut that, and use that plastic template to trace the hexagons onto cereal boxes. So I'm recycling at the same time.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 AM

I'm just finishing up my GFG after 2 1/2 years of working on it. It's all hand stitched, I've only gotten the top finished. I printed my hexs out on my home computer, 1" hexs, cut them out myself, saved my alot of money, very expensive to buy pre cut ones. I left them all in as I've been stitching the hexs together for stability and to keep the fabric from stretching while I was working on it, adding flowers, rows between the flowers, borders, etc. I'm really glad I did because the quilt is very even on all sides, top and bottom and although I'm 'sceared' (lol) at the thought of having to start the actual quilting (this is my very first quilt) I think it will be easier to remove the paper pieces, spray starch it really well and then start to sandwich with batting and back and then baste since the paper peices are still in place and it's been carefully folded in between periods of working on it. I've come this far and I can't wait until it's done. I do have one delimma....what to do with the little tabs that hang off of the edges of the last row on the sides, top and bottom. I don't know if I want to cut them off and make it even, then add a binding....OR....I saw on Youtube where someone quilted the whole quilt except the edges, then she made extra hexs the same color as the backing and actually stitched them to the front hexs so that you have the tabs in place but there are hexs on both sides, the hexs on the edges are stitched back to back so that the pretty side of the fabric is showing on both sides. I hope this makes sense. I like that idea but I'm not so crazy about all those little tabs hanging all over the quilt. I'm hand stitching the whole thing so I guess I can wait until I get to that point to figure out what I want to do. After all, this is no traditonal looking quilt. I did not make the flowers traditional. I made symetrical patterns with placing the hexs evenly around the flowers but there are no circles of flowers like you see in the traditional patterns.Some of my flowers have 5 or 6 different pattern of fabric in them. When I started this quilt, it being my very first project, and I had no clue what I was doing. I found a website that really only showed how to make the hexs and stitch them together so I just started making hexs and making patterns in the shape of the flowers with a center and two rows of hexs. I think it turned out pretty well all in all. I didn't realize that there was so much history and general 'rules' when it come to making a quilt until I started looking at the tons of websites on the computer about quilting. I went into this project blindly. I've learned alot along the way. I have some raelly rough areas in my quilt and I considered taking it apart but I though, 'no', that will be something to tell the grandkids (if I'm even lucky enough to have any in my lifetime). There are areas where I doubled the thread when stitching the hexs together, again not really knowing what I was doing, and it looks a little bulky, an area where the hexs I printed and cut out where a smidge smaller than the rest, didn't notice the setting on my printer until I had made them and had sewn them together but you can't really tell because they are scattered around the quilt, so far I haven't noticed any puckers or weird looking areas.Next time, and I do think there will be a next hexagon GFG in the future for me, I'll know better and be more wise to what the 'quilt police' would see if they looked at my quilt. LOLOL Good luck with your GFG, I hope it turns out great for you........
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 AM

I have used some precuts, when traveling & ran out of ones I cut myself. I mainly use the cards that come in magazines, you know, the ones that pull out & want you to subscribe. They are free & work great! Hadn't thought of file folders either, another good idea. I also cut squares, then trim them down as I stitch around the hex, & don't stitch through the paper, just double stitch at each crease around the edges & that will hold it, & make you papers last longer too... Love projects like this, enjoy!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 AM

I don't use either. I print my hexies from a site on the comp. (texasfreckles.com is a good one) using mostly junk mail paper, and cut them myself. I usually have a few pages printed up so I can cut a page or two at a time. I just stright pin the papers to the fabric, and baste. Goes pretty quickly. I think the precut would be nice, but don't think there was such a thing when I first started doing GFGs. Keep thinking to try the freezer paper, but just haven't gotten my round tuit yet! What ever you do, enjoy the process. WARNING it can be addicting. :)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by simplyme
I made my first GFG out of 1" hex's and used freezer paper. I like this because you could take them with you and not worry about loosing anything. The one I am making now is of 1/2" hex's and I print out hex's on card stock. I enjoy all parts of this, I cut and sew while watching TV with hubby in the evenings. He likes it too because I'm not in another room on my sewing machine. When I finishe this one I want to try one a little smaller just to see how it will go together. Not sure how big it will be.
You are so brave to do 1/2 in. hex's! Are you doing the "Insanity Quilt" ? I have done a few 1/2 in. to use in applique borders but don't think I would do a whole quilt. Happy Hexing!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Patti Mahoney, I hope you will post a picture of your GFG. It sounds like it will be awesome. What size will it be?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm doing my GFG with 1" hexies, and another will be done with 3/8" hexes
Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 AM

Boy make me want to put away my Apple Core and start on my Hex's.I have a baby GO and the die.Maybe make a scrappy FGF.