Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A girl I know wants to buy one of my quilts,  EEEEEK! >

A girl I know wants to buy one of my quilts, EEEEEK!

A girl I know wants to buy one of my quilts, EEEEEK!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 PM

I charge from $250 up to around 500 for a queen/king size. But it depends on how much work goes into it. I sold one of my lap size for $200 not too long ago. She was using it as a large wallhanging.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 PM

what she said
Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
Melanie,

You have asked the question every quilter faces. How much is our work worth? If the person really wants a quilt take them to a store to look at fabric so they know how much it costs. Let them see how expensive batting can be and the difference between them. Show them a price list from a long armer if they want it machine quilted and then tell them your construction of the quilt would start at $10 a square foot for basic piecing or simple applique. Don't be afraid to raise the price for more complicated patterns. As a handquilter for hire I charge $10 a square foot for basic quilting and go up by 2 cent inquirements if the qulting gets elaborate. I also charge at my cost if I supply the batting and backing. I also charge an extra $15 if I do the binding. I usually charge what the original price of the backing and batting would be if I was not able to find a bargin or discount.
If the person does not supply the fabric or in my case the backing and batting I get a deposit big enough to cover that expense up front. I usually get a $50 deposit if I am supplying the backing and batting. If they decide they don't want the finished quilt the deposit is none refundable and I keep the quilt.

Just for kicks keep a count of the actual hours you spend making a quilt. It will be an eye opener for you and help you realize how much your time is probably worth.

Good luck
This is all great info. People don't know the time, money, energy that go into a quilt.

And the actual hours... I FINISHED a quilt for my husband's aunt (some assembly, some quilting) and there were 30 hours logged into that. I asked for something, she gave me $50 more. Said I did a great job, but she knew what went into a quilt.

And the cost will vary depending on where you get fabric/supplies, too. Craft shops are cheaper than your LQS.

I really like the "per square foot" costs. People should be able to multiply that up to a pretty good number.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 PM

My suggestion, keep track of the hours you put into the quilt, both piecing and quilting it. You'd be amazed at how much time goes into a quilt and those who don't quilt will appreciate knowing! I often keep track of how much time I put into a quilt, especially when doing hand applique and hand quilting, and will add that information on the label on the back of the quilt. I have a quilt that will have about 500 hours into it after all is said and done. My hubby thought I should sell it but because it is a pattern from a published book, I cannot sell it because it has a copyright. You will want to check into copyright laws if you are using an established pattern and if it is out of a book or magazine, read the fine print in the front. Often it will state that the patterns inside are NOT for resale but for personal use only. I think such things are a bit rediculous because most of us are not making these quilts in a production line but it is better to be safe then sorry and read the fine print. If you are creating your own patterns, just ignore this. :wink:
Piece ~ Tiffany
Old 02-02-2009, 01:42 PM

i charged and got $250.00 to do a simple 6" block (in the customer's colors) quilt, twin sized. it was pillowcase style and only tied off.

it depends what the traffic will bear and how badly the customer wants the item. it's just so hard to know. but don't set the precedent of selling too cheap. you can always come down in price but not up. how little are you willing to make per hour?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 PM

I'VE NEVER SOLD A QUILT, BUT OUR LOCAL CRAFT SHOP CHARGES 15 CENTS PER SQUARE INCH FOR HAND QUILTING ! ADD THAT TO COST OF MATERIAL---GETS PRICEY!! LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, I WOULD RATHER GIVE THEM AWAY THAN BE INSULTED WITH A BELOW ROCK-BOTTOM OFFER !
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM

the only quilt I have ever sold was to a friend of my husband. It was a raggedy quilt, generous size lap quilt. I only had $30 invested in it. I told him he could buy one from China for $50 to $85 but he said he prefered one that someone he knew had made. I charged $75. Didn't want to sell it to low in case he told anyone......the price of material goes up and I had got a bargain on material for that quilt. But I agree with everyone else most people don't have a clue what material, batting, thread ect costs let alone paying for your time and skill. Always set a price you are comfortable with if they are willing to pay great if not let them buy elsewhere. So many things to factor in, location for one very important thing. I think making quilts is something we just love to do and most of us would rather give them away than to be underpaid and under appreciated!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM

I've talked to a few of my friends who sell quilts and they would not sell anything except a crib quilt for less than $200. One gal frequently gets $1000 or more for her quilts. I think the problem right now would be the economy. Everything seems to have slowed down and that can affect prices.

I would NEVER recommend a quilt from China. Have you ever taken a look at the quality? The quilting is horrible and very minimal. :( JMO.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Ok... several years ago I made a wall hanging called Los Doches (sp) that was essentially 12 - 8 pointed stars. It was what we now call fussy cut. All hand pieced and hand quilted, Jinny Beyer fabric.. it ended up being 36" x 45".. I had several people offer to buy it. I wasn't sure I wanted to sell it, but I priced it at $250. neither person blinked, but I wound up selling it to the person who lived closest (my now ex-SIL.) I didn't want to worry about checks clearing, mailing, etc. The purple and black Kaleidoscope Star quilt that I posted a pic of is already sold.. a friend I work with asked me what a quilt went for and I told her that story. She said "Ok.. I want that one." so I guess it's sold.. although if it was anyone but her I'd probably charge a bit more. It's a lot of work.