Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Maybe before you finish the quilt, you could have an honest discussion with them and ask them if they might rather have something else? The main expense in a quilt is in the batting and backing (and having it LAQ'd, if you were going to do that...) so I would be sure it was wanted before I made that investment.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Earleen View Post
I got this all the time from my mother no matter what I made for her she had to add to it or tell me where my mistakes were. Sure makes you feel not to good. Thanks for listening but I know how you feel
Earleen, you're not alone. My mom was the same--she'd even pick up the hem of a dress I was wearing to inspect it and the seams. However, after teaching kindergarten for 25 years I found it hard to overcome my "teacheritis". I suspect mothers have the same problem: we're their kids forever and they want to teach us to do better; no time-limit on "motheritis."
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Maybe before you finish the quilt, you could have an honest discussion with them and ask them if they might rather have something else? The main expense in a quilt is in the batting and backing (and having it LAQ'd, if you were going to do that...) so I would be sure it was wanted before I made that investment.
You are 100% correct. Otherwise resentment/hurt may just fester.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 AM

My daughter-in-law has a great deal of trouble with homemade gifts of any sort. It's as if she feels it's a cheap way to give gifts. She and my son were given a king sized quilt made by my mother for a wedding gift that has never been on a bed in their home. I am not sure how long you have known your in-laws, but perhaps they just cannot appreciate what is entailed in giving a quilt stitched with love. I agree with others that you should finish it. Then ask them if they want it or another gift. If they don't want it, you can use it yourself or give it to someone who would appreciate it...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I agree with this statement. I also think they may have been caught off guard a bit.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM

OK what more did you expect them to say. To me "it's nice" is a good response.

Some folks show no emotion or little no matter what they receive but they love it.

Once it's complete they may have yet another jumping up and down reaction, who knows.

Some folks are just not jump and down screaming there heads of in joy about material things but it doesn't mean they don't love it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 AM

After reading this sad story, I would suggest saying to them "you might not have use for such a big quilt so I'd like to make you a lap quilt which you could use more often". Then make them a quick, easy lapquilt & make other plans for the king size one.

I find that a king size quilt can be a problem. I once won a beaut. southwest themed kingsize in a raffle that just didn't fit into any of my bedrooms decor so it's still folded up & not being used.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 AM

I have also made items for my mother in law but have yet to see her use them. I also gave my mother a quilt one christmas and she knows what goes into it as grandma also quilted but she didn't say much and a couple years later gave it back to me. I no longer make items to give to them. My daughter on the other hand has asked for quilts and has used them all the time. The granddaughter has asked for one but I'm not such if I should as she changes her present bedding all the time
Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 AM

I gave my MIL a quilt in January for her 96 birthday. My husband told her it was coming as she lives 900 miles from us. It took her 5 days to open it after it arrived. Then she said, "That's nice." I know what you mean.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM

I agree this is very hurtful and completely understand it as it has happened to me. HOWEVER, after I soothe my own hurt feelings, I realize I am blessed in the giving and that it was a wonderful time for me when I was working on it and just plain let it go. I am learning to never expect to be thanked and it makes life much easier. When I am thanked, it is an added blessing.