Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 AM

not all people are "quilt" people. I really think those of us who do crafty things appreciate the "works" of others so much more than those who do not do any crafty things at all....They just don't see the work/love/creativity..and a hundred more adjectives that fit....in something "made by hand" and will generally dismiss it as "oh, thanks- not the WOW, THANK YOU we are expecting. I guess you think I am cynical, and maybe I am, but this has happened a few times to me and now I hesitate and and really think twice before giving someone something "I have made"......
Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by cinnya View Post
I totally agree with you.!!!!!!!
I only make throws for my friends,use the colors of their decor, and so far everybody has been happy.
I don't even have a full size quilt on my beds. I make oversized throws and just put them on the foot of the bed.
Quilts are too warm in the summer here and not warm enough in the winter, at least for me.
Everybody has their own personal style, and I would never presume that people have to love it, just because I spend my money and my time making it.When I choose to make a quilt for somebody I will give them MY gift and than it is Theirs, to do with as they please.
I guess it kind of sounds cold hearted, but this is the only way for me to keep from getting my feelings hurt
I also think that you should have input from the recipient for an item that needs to reflect someone's personal taste and will be part of their daily life.

My MIL was an avid quilter and decided that she wanted to surprise everyone and make quilts for her three children/spouses and five grandsons one year for Christmas. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time and energy that she spent getting the quilts done. I think she was around 80 when she decided to take on this major project.

Our beautiful Christmas gift quilt is safely tucked away in the basement storage cabinet. The quilt is green and white which are not colors we would have picked out for our bedroom nor is the pattern anything that we would have chosen. She did show me the fabric when they were visiting from out of state and we were in a shop in the Amish area near our home. Her question was vague when she showed me a group of green fabric bolts ... "do you think these look nice together?" My honest response was that I didn't think I was very good at mixing patterns. I didn't comment on my dislike of green since I knew that she had quite a bit of green in her home and didn't think my personal opinion on the color was appropriate.

My MIL passed away five years ago. We displayed all of the Christmas gift quilts along with the grandsons' t-shirt quilts at the funeral home during visitation. It was quite a sight and allowed her extended family and friends to see her talents.

I would love to have a quilt that she made that would be along the lines of my husband and my taste. I know that it would have been made with an abundance of love.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 AM

This sounds familiar. I made a crib quilt for my new niece, born in October. I never recieved a "thank you"
from my brother. At thanksgiving I finally asked, "Did you recieve Aubreys quilt"?
Yes, thank you, was the reply. I guess others just don't have the love of quilts as we do. (?)
Quilts are made with love, and given with part of ourselves in each of our quilts. Unfortunately sometimes they are not received with as much apreciation as we would like. I will still continue to make them and give as giftts.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 AM

I think they should have been more gracious. I would try and finish it as soon as possible, and return it to them. If they are still not thrilled I would not give them another quilt. I think you can get a good indication of what the finished quilt will look like from the quilt top. Post a pic if you can.Try not to let it bother you too much.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Perhaps they cannot visualize the quilt top as a completed quilt. I think there's a magical transformation of the quilt top when the quilting is applied - the WOW factor goes way up. Surely they'll love it!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 AM

I made a quilt for my son a few years ago and I hadn't given it to him until this Christmas when I was sure he would appreciate it. A few years ago, I don't think he would, but this past year I think he understands more about what goes into my quilts. So, sometimes I think it is best to just wait before you give your quilts away. His wife too is showing appreciation for my quilted items.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM

Sorry to hear that, but i do know what you mean. I made a double bed quilt and showed my sister. "Thats nice" I put it back into the car and it is now sitting on the bed in our spare room. Every day i walk passed and enjoy seeing it. I am glad i did not tell it was for her until i heard her response.
There is really nothing you can do now, but get it completed. Just do not make them anything again.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 AM

I too had a similar reaction when I first gave a quilt to my daughter. This was 2 years ago and now that is the only one she uses for snuggles and comfort time. So I asked her why she did not like it in the beginning and she said "well Mom it did not go with anything in my house, it was too busy for me" which I should have known the only 3 colors that are in her house other than a splash of something here and there is black, beige and white...so now I have quieted down the colors and did a two color quilt for her last year and it is on her bed..and her reaction was yeah instead of "oh this is nice Mom". But it did make me stop and think that I do not think I will ever give a scrappy quilt again to someone, I will try and keep within their color scheme. Just putting another thought out there...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 AM

I only read the first page and last page of this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating what has already been said. I too have experienced this lack of response, and I imagine all that has been said is why...lots of reasons. But that is why we come here, is it not? Here we have support for our work/art/creativity. We understand and we support each other unlike any other place or persons in the world. Show us your quilt and let us praise you and love what you have done. Then what the recipient thinks is their problem.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 AM

I made quilts for each of my granddaughters (ages 7 & 8) last year for Christmas. When I got to their house this year for Thanksgiving, there was no sign of either of these quilts anywhere. I even peeked in the girls' closets once when I was in their rooms and did not see them. I have no idea what happened to them and I did not ask. It broke my heart that they were not being used, or displayed or even stored.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post2007573

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...as-t79671.html