Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 AM

The people in my family don't like or appreciate them for gifts, except my mom who is a quilter, so I don't give them anymore. I make them and keep them for myself. In my will my quilts are to go to charities or be sold and the money given to charity. I don't sweat it anymore. If you don't quilt, you don't appreciate the time and effort that goes into the making of a quilt. So don't feel bad, you're not alone.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 AM

Finish it , give it and forget it. Next year get her something at Target....say, a lovely non loving crockpot.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by smm06 View Post
For Christmas I was planning to have a king size quilt completed for my in-laws. This year was crazy (which they would understand why I was so busy) and I was unable to have the quilt completed. So I wrapped up the quilt top and stated I would take it back and get it quilted and returned in January. The only response the quilt top go was "It's nice". This makes is very hard for me to want to finish the quilt for them as I spent so much time and effort to make them this gift. Has this happened to others? How do you get over the lack of reaction to gifts that you spend so much time on?
People in day in time are not raised up correctly,by the Grace of GOD they grow up phyically sppeaking but not raised up.I am sorry they didn't show more interest.I sure would have I have only 2 quilts from other people one is now in heaven and the other is from a 78 year older lady.I love them both.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 AM

once you've given a gift it's like a freed bird. it's gone. they are now responsible for it and how they use it or appreciate it is up to them. your love is still in it, if they don't have the ability to feel it, that is their shortcoming. but you have to let it go once you've given it. i would not be surprised if they fell all over it when it's done and loved it. it's hard to understand what people are thinking during christmas. i just don't try. i send the gift and hope for the best. finish it, give it, and someone will recognise it's worth and warmth!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 AM

I don't give them anything else I've made. Its their loss if they can't appreciate the time and effort, and the amount of money that goes into making a quilt. Next time buy them one of those quilts from China that will fall apart the first time they wash it. Maybe that will make them happy. Do I sound a little bitter? You betcha! It's happened to me too many times.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 AM

Maybe they didn't understand that the quilt wasn't finished. Communications during gift giving gets confusing. Gift giving is really hard on the giver when lots of time, effort, thought, expense and love are put into a gift. Some recipients have a hard time receiving such a wonderful gift, some recipients just don't know how to be thankful, and the gift giver feels hurt. Alot of us on QB have been through this reaction, take the quilt back, finish it, put a loving label on it and let it go. You did an awesome thing by making a king size quilt, I wish you were my daughter in law.
Originally Posted by smm06 View Post
For Christmas I was planning to have a king size quilt completed for my in-laws. This year was crazy (which they would understand why I was so busy) and I was unable to have the quilt completed. So I wrapped up the quilt top and stated I would take it back and get it quilted and returned in January. The only response the quilt top go was "It's nice". This makes is very hard for me to want to finish the quilt for them as I spent so much time and effort to make them this gift. Has this happened to others? How do you get over the lack of reaction to gifts that you spend so much time on?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 AM

I know a gift is supposed to be from the heart - but we are human and sometimes get heartaches in return...
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 AM

A number of years ago my in-laws (now former) response to the quilt I'd slaved over for them was, "A blanket." & it was tossed aside. Never made anything else for them!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 AM

Yes it has even with a finished quilt. That person in my family will not be the recipient of any more. There are others that really do love what I've given them. Finish the quilt, give it to them, and know in your heart you did a really nice thing.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Each stich is planned. and.. anyone can pick up a J C Pennys catalogu and get beautiful creations for 150 dollars .

So, it is hard not to take it personal. so sorry. "it's nice" is not the WOW factor youd wished for.