Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 AM

It is hard to judge how a person will react. I gave a charm on point lap quilt to my SIL aand BIL for their 50th anniversary. We had to drive 4 hours each way. After having a cup of tea (no cookie) we got into our car, and as we were driving out the driveway, she said, "oh, thanks for the quilt". And this woman is a sort of quilter, i.e. she quilts cheater cloth. That was over 8 months ago and we have not heard another word. No more for her!!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
Ditto on deemail and sewgray. You can post a pic for us to see, Please
Same here!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

WELCOME...if I were you, I would explain the process of making that quilt FOR THEM, and then just ask them, if the quilt was something they would like, or if you should perhaps find something else for them.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 AM

A few years ago I made a patriotic twin size quilt for my daughter's best friend whose husband was serving his second tour in Iraq. Having been thru this sort of thing myself during Vietnam I could empathize with her. I never heard a word back, not even an email. Recently I found out that she keeps the quilt folded over a chair in her bedroom. She won't put it on her bed because her dogs might get on it. She was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. I sent her a teal and white (colors for cervical cancer) and received an email thanking me. My daughter told me that when her friend went into the hospital for several surgical procedures that she took that quilt with her and wrapped up in it all during her stay. I guess my point is that you never know what really goes on in another person's mind.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 AM

If I didn't quilt I might look at a quilt top and say "oh" not being able to visualize the finished quilt. When the top has a back,binding and quilting it will look so different! That oh will turn into a great big WOW! Give them a chance.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM

On Thanksgiving Day I gave my brother in law a baby quilt for his new born grandson & still have not heard a word from my step niece whether she liked it or not. I know it was given to her as they were going the next day to see her. My brother in law thanked me on Thanksgiving and I said you can't thank me for something you don't even know if you or Allanah will like and his reply is he appreciated all the hard work and time I put into it. It would still be nice to hear from my step niece but I will not say anything as I am a firm believer someone should say thanks without being reminded, especially adults.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've made three quilts for my MIL and none of them are anywhere in her house, that I can see. When she found out I quilted, she said she didn't have a quilt and would like one. Well, I made her a lap quilt and she laid it over her love seat for a few weeks and it disappeared. She loves orange and I made her a lap size pumpkin quilt (she loves to decorate for Halloween) and I don't know where it is. I also made her a third quilt and never saw it displayed. Now I know better. What I would like to do is to show her one of my nice large quilts and hope she says she would like to have it and then tell her "Can't. Don't even know what you did with my 3 quilts I already made you." I would love for that situation to happen. I made all those quilts specifically for her. I think they are in a closet. I don't think she thinks I'm good enough for her son.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 AM

was this a total surprise for your inlaws, or did you discuss it with them first? I would never give a KS quilt as a gift unless I know the person wanted it and had picked out colors and patterns. That is a BIG gift - like giving someone a sofa!!

Not everyone is a "quilt person" - some people would rather have a bedspread or duvet on their bed. That being said, they should have expressed more appreciation for your gift or ANY gift.

Depending on how well you know them, you might ask if they really want the quilt and offer to make or get something else for them instead. Then give it to someone who will like it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Here's my thought: give something you want to GIVE. Don't give something because you want accolades or appreciation or notoriety. If you want everyone to fawn over your talent, save it for a quilt show. But there's nothing wrong with 'nice' except that you wanted more. And I don't blame you; it IS wonderful when your quilt is the hit of the season, but that's not the reason to give a gift.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 AM

I find situations like that a test to see if I am giving from my heart or to please others. I have been guilty of the latter and it has caused me much grief...so if anyone gets a gift from me it is because I care about them and not to make them care about me. If they don't like it that is their prerogative.