Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Maybe you can apologize for your lateness, give them something 'bought' and tell them you're working on their quilt. You'll probably never hear about it again as they wanted something you had to buy anyway, by then maybe the quilt will have [choose an ending your conscience will let you live with].

Personally, I would finish it, give it, and keep my head held high.

Some people just want things which had to be bought, the dollars giving the value. Maybe the next time you visit, leave a little scrap printed from Etsy with some quilt ads with prices.

Good luck with it and welcome!
I'd simply finish the quilt for this year and next year they'd get gift cards. Or pass gift buying for hubby's parents to him.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
They may have been very disappointed that it was not done and they could not take it home. If you think about it, you open this lovely gift only to find it incomplete and now you have to wait even longer to enjoy it. Would bum me out. I think the only solution is, hurry up and finish it so they can take possession!
Not me! I'd be tickled to see what what headed my way! eventually!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
Finish it , give it and forget it. Next year get her something at Target....say, a lovely non loving crockpot.
I'd tell hubby to find gift for HIS parents.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Meet her needs???????? Color me confused!
If the gift giver has expectations of how the receiver ought to respond, those are the needs of the giver. Perhaps the giver has unrealistic expectations?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 PM

How often do we receive a gift that takes days, wks, months to create ?? not many but lots of folks haven,t a clue of time spent on special gift , i don,t like hearing them called blanket,s either
but if we enjoy quilting we must be prepared to let it be our, award only, sometimes. Blessed to be able to quilt.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
I have given much thought to the whole concept of gift giving the last couple of years, not just during a holiday or a birthday, but for any occasion.
I think we who are doing the giving should ask the givee what they want. If we have a limited budget then ask them if there is something with in your means that you could give.
We as the giver have no right to expect any kind of reaction from the receiver, if we do, then we are not truly giving for them but for ourselves.
If your reason for giving is to make you feel good then find a place to give to for that purpose.
If your reason for giving is to make the other happy then be sure what you are giving is really what they want.

We really have no right to have unrealistic expectations from others, shame on us when we do.
Amen! Best way I have seen this put.
Whether a quilt, or a jacket or a book or candy, this holds true.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Perhaps this is hard for us to understand because we are talking about quilts.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM

What if our hobby were restoring antique motorcycles? If we spent weeks and weeks restoring an antique motorcycle and then gave it as a gift to someone would we be so upset if they didn't like the gift or didn't ride the motorcycle? Most of us would understand not everyone would appreciate being given a gift like that although perhaps even more hours of love had gone into it. My point is, you should know ahead of time if a quilt is wanted, if the colors are right and if the pattern is right. Some people would rather have the motorcyle than the quilt. LOL
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM

Sometimes its hard to understand people ,girls. But , its great you are all here .Everybody chimes in and I love the input. I would have loved to give quilts to my new extended family of grand kids. It seems like they wouldn't appreciate them. So, I spend my valuable time (according to me) on the ones that do appreciate .
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Maybe your new extended family of grandkids , girls, if they are young, would like a vest or sweatshirt or even a floor pillow with Dora the Explorer or some other cartoon fabric that they watch? If they're older maybe you could make them a cover for their Ipad.