Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by smm06 View Post
For Christmas I was planning to have a king size quilt completed for my in-laws. This year was crazy (which they would understand why I was so busy) and I was unable to have the quilt completed. So I wrapped up the quilt top and stated I would take it back and get it quilted and returned in January. The only response the quilt top go was "It's nice". This makes is very hard for me to want to finish the quilt for them as I spent so much time and effort to make them this gift. Has this happened to others? How do you get over the lack of reaction to gifts that you spend so much time on?
Perhaps their reaction was because the "gift" was not finished and they had to give it back for the time being????
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by WisWis View Post
Welcome to the Board-I wouldn't rush to give it to them if you're not sure of their reaction.
The quilt was gifted to them, how could you not give it back when it was completed because you were a little disappointed in their initial reaction? It is already their quilt. I'd give it witha a smile and hope they loved it when they saw the dramatic change the quilting makes.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 PM

People who don't quilt don't understand how much work, and love, go into making one. I'm so sorry you got that reaction because it does hurt. Maybe when you get it finished they'll show more appreciation. I know I'm not the only one here who would love to see pictures of it.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM

some people don't understand why you would give them an unfinished gift...I hope that is the reson for lack of enthusiasm.... please go ahead and finish it with love! If they don't understand now, maybee they will later
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Ditto to the fruitcake. Oh yea!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 AM

I made my daughter a quilt and she used it for her dogs! Isn't that nice? LOL. She just doesn't like quilts which I wasn't aware of. I don't think people who don't sew realize all the time and effort that goes into gifts like this.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM

You know, I think it is really how people are brought up. If they are not around quilters or quilts, they may not appreciate the love and work that goes intro making one. My children have grown up loving handcrafted gifts. I feel sorry for those who don't know the satisfaction of making something for someone they love.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 PM

It is a shame that you didn't get the response that you had hoped for from your in-laws. We never know other people's minds.... I know that some people are just not as expressive as others. Just because they are not very expressive does not mean that they don't like something alot. Who knows, maybe your mother in law likes to control things in her home to give it a certain look, and getting such a big gift, maybe she will feel like she needs to change the decor in the bedroom that she may have just gotten to look the way she wants it to look. Before giving someone such a time intensive gift, it might be good to make certain it is something they would appreciate and to give them some input into it or as you give it to them, give them permission to accept the gift as they will. Otherwise, just enjoy the creative process you have put into it and hope that someday your children might just inherit it! By the way, the quilt looks lovely!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM

sorry but i have to vent also. i gave all of my kids three daughter and all of there kids quilt also then went on to give all of my two sisters quilts and they loved them. then i went on to give all of there kids quilts also. my sisters grand kids all got throws. one of the quilt for my niece i had to pick out 16 hours lol. wont make that mistake again. the only ones that send a thank you was from two of the youngest twins. that got the throws, my sister helped them with it. as there only three. wont make the mistake of doing that again. dont that and got the t shirt. there all on there own now.
i did talk to one of the girls and she said oh ya i was going to send you a thank you card but i have been busy that was 7 months ago. i guess she is still busy. oh i have over that now. now i only make quilts for friend as i know they love them and at least i get a card saying how much they love them. sorry to vent. blessings ogama
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
You imply there are circumstances which led to you not being able to finish it, are you expecting a huge reaction from them when in fact they are not able to meet your needs right now? Just a thought?
Meet her needs???????? Color me confused!