Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving them away? >

Giving them away?

Giving them away?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

A basic utility quilt can withstand a lot of abuse. (I should know coz I sure abuse mine.) A quilt can be such a personal gift and we want this gift to be appreciated. The only strings that should be attached to a quilt is "to love it to death." Whatever that means to the recipient.

If you suspect that the quilt will not be treated well or appreciated, get a Target gift card and use the quilt for a different occasion.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Maybe practicing setting your quilts free with a charity would help. I'm not that attached to the quilts once they're out and about. I keep a journal with pics, though I rarely review it. As others have said, I send it on it's merry way with lots of love and no worry. I have heard back about one of my quilts that has traveled with it's little Miss from Indiana to Oregon...and now to Japan!! It's still going strong and doing it's job---keeping a little one wrapped in love. I never in my wildest dreams thought that my very first quilt would still be in tact, much less traveling farther than I have. Best Wishes and HAPPY QUILTING,
RETRO.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I was thinking about making one for a new neighbor who does not have much. My sister said that I cannot say anything if the kids take it outside and sit on it in the dirt. Now I am not so sure I want to do it.
:lol: :lol: Make the quilt and then go over and join the kids in their "afternoon tea" :lol: :lol:
Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree, I made a bunny for my daughter when I was in a knitting stage and within a month she wanted to sell it for a QUARTER!!! That thing took forever to make since I'm so slow and I don't want to ever have that happen again..... especially when its a quilt(how could people not want to keep them forever, lol)
Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator

buy the bunny for the quarter. when she's ready to go away to college she'll want it back. offer to sell it to her for $10.

better yet, wait until she's "with" her first child. you can easily get $50 for it then.

:lol:
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 AM

I had babies in my early 20s and cherished everything given to me. I still have the wallhangings that were sewn for their rooms. Possibly you may give her the benefit of the doubt and happily give her the quilt.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
buy the bunny for the quarter. when she's ready to go away to college she'll want it back. offer to sell it to her for $10.

better yet, wait until she's "with" her first child. you can easily get $50 for it then.

:lol:
I like that idea... very smart, hehe.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM

I began quilting about 14 years ago. My first baby quilt was for DGD Josi who is now 13. Fabrics weren't the best and the batting the cheapest poly. This quilt is still going strong after years of daily use and picnics in the back yard. Last year Josi told me it was too small for her especially when she went to friends for sleepovers. I made her a Big Girl lap sized quilt using better fabrics and best poly batting I could find because this quilt will also be used, washed and dried many, many times. Only best fabrics, threads, batting and patterns are for older family and friends who will appreciate the time and effort I put into their quilts. Baby shower quilts are made with good fabrics and simple designs and quilting, and when the child gets older they get a lap size quilt. My nieces have all commented how much they and their babies like the quilts and how easy they are to take care of. All my grandkids have at least one quilt. All get lap sized for high school graduations and a few have twin sized ones for their beds. Now that one is getting married and another bought her own condo I'm thinking they'll need larger quilts - maybe some queen sized scrappy quilts that they can use as extra blankets. Have to keep adding to my scrap baskets. May in Jersey.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 AM

As a new quilter you begin to realize how much goes into making a quilt and therefore, you also realize that there are different quilts for different people. There really is nothing wrong with feeling this way, you must put into a quilt what fits each occasion. Then like others have said "Let it go" You will still find times of disappointment in the circumstances but it's okay.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 AM

I think a cheater quilt would be good for her. I crocheted my granddaughter an afghan about 20 years ago when she was born and it would up under the Christmas tree for a skirt and then a dog bed.