Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up "too much" for quilting?

It is hard to give up exercise when you have a large dog and a yard that is not fenced in. Walking 4 miles a day in the fresh mountain air rejuvenates me and gives me time to think of new quilting projects. Love quilting and walking evenly so I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds!

I have given up counted cross-stitch that I have loved to do for years. Sewing quilt pieces is as theraputic as putting a puzzle together and much more productive! My daughters have been very generous in keeping my shelf of quilt projects filled which helps with the expense. This message board has provided answers to all the questions that have popped up from no where so the world is good for me right now!

STRESS!!!!!!! I'm a pre-school teacher and quilting is my way to unwind. Right now I'm making a banner for the school, that had our school mascot and logo on it. "Children's Corner Caterpillars"

Lady Tapioca, try audio books, you can get them at the library, they come on cd, or cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    I gave up SMOKING for quilting. I had been a smoker for 20 some years, never in the house or car because I didn't like the way it smelled, but a smoker non the less. I was up to about 1 1/2 packs a day. To make a long story short my DD had a baby, had complications and had to be rushed back to the hospital. I had a 2 year old and a 3 day old and a diaper bag and had to rush from one side of a large hospital to the other and almost didn't make it to see my daughter before they took her into surgery becasue I was out of breath from years of smoking. Went home crying about it that night and DH said well quit smoking then, well all you smokers know that is easier said then done. When I was struggling to quit my DH said If you quit you can have all the money we spend in a year for your quilting. He figured that it totaled about $6100. WOW so after six smoke free months (I quit for good on Nov 3) I bought a Accuquilt Go, and the EQ6, and fabric galore and now I am in the process of trying to decide between the Juki 98Q with the Grace Pro or the Bernina babylock with a Grace Pinnicale and as soon as I can decide I will get it.
    I feel better even though I have gained some weight and am working on getting more exercise. I found the QB and am having so much fun that I don't even have time to miss smoking.
    So sometimes the things we give up for quilting are good things to give up!!! :lol:
    I too had giving up smoking over a year ago but started up again recently and everyday I am mad at myself for going back. It is very hard to stop "cold turkey" but that was the third time I had stopped. I never seemed to lose the desire. I truly want to quit and am going on a bus with a totally non smoking group. My hope is that my will power will hold out this next week and I can say again that I have given it up once again.

I admire your stamina. Keep up the good work.

I don't have a support group, i.e. spouse, etc, live alone so no one to fuss at me.

PS: what is DD and DH?

Jan

Let's see, I've given up smoking and I was a 38 year smoker. Now I have lots of money for fabric. I have gained having something in common with my sister(it's her fault I started quilting!!) I'm not bored anymore tons of stuff to do. I've gained creativity plus a few pounds, but that is from not smoking. My kids and grandkids just love the things that I quilt for them so that is a plus too. I guess it is all in what you like and don't like. In the end they will all have hand made quilts from grandma.

Hi Jan,
    It was so good to see you on the web site. Glad you are doing well. The Appomattox Quilt Guild is still going strong. Need to get with you and talk about you doing a class with us.
    Bonnie

I haven't given up anything.

However, I have added lots of new friends, the joy of learning something new.

I have given up alot of stress!

The only thing I really gave up was all the hours that I used to have the tv on or reading. I did those 2 much so now I only watch tv in the evening with hubby or read at bedtime. I really was going thru about a book a day which is really 2 much. And of course now I actually have my kids come over to me when I am at the computer looking at this forum that actually come to see what I am doing and to talk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Actually I have given up quilting time to be on this board. I am on here at least a couple of hours during the day, time that I used to be quilting. What's up with that. It is just so engrossing to see what you creative people come up with every day.
    I AGREE..WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?

i agree but i have started walking keeps the doc happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janmwalker
    I gave up SMOKING for quilting. I had been a smoker for 20 some years, never in the house or car because I didn't like the way it smelled, but a smoker non the less. I was up to about 1 1/2 packs a day. To make a long story short my DD had a baby, had complications and had to be rushed back to the hospital. I had a 2 year old and a 3 day old and a diaper bag and had to rush from one side of a large hospital to the other and almost didn't make it to see my daughter before they took her into surgery becasue I was out of breath from years of smoking. Went home crying about it that night and DH said well quit smoking then, well all you smokers know that is easier said then done. When I was struggling to quit my DH said If you quit you can have all the money we spend in a year for your quilting. He figured that it totaled about $6100. WOW so after six smoke free months (I quit for good on Nov 3) I bought a Accuquilt Go, and the EQ6, and fabric galore and now I am in the process of trying to decide between the Juki 98Q with the Grace Pro or the Bernina babylock with a Grace Pinnicale and as soon as I can decide I will get it.
    I feel better even though I have gained some weight and am working on getting more exercise. I found the QB and am having so much fun that I don't even have time to miss smoking.
    So sometimes the things we give up for quilting are good things to give up!!! :lol:
    I too had giving up smoking over a year ago but started up again recently and everyday I am mad at myself for going back. It is very hard to stop "cold turkey" but that was the third time I had stopped. I never seemed to lose the desire. I truly want to quit and am going on a bus with a totally non smoking group. My hope is that my will power will hold out this next week and I can say again that I have given it up once again.

I don't have a support group, i.e. spouse, etc, live alone so no one to fuss at me.

Jan
    Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying!!! In this instance everyone loves a quitter. It wasn't easy and I used the Rx drug Chantix for the first month. I highly recommend it everyone out there that needs help. If you don't have insurance call Pfizer and they have programs to help pay for it or give it for free. That being said Please talk with your primary care physcian before and really reseach the drug, it isn't appropriate for every one.
    Good Luck!!

DD=Darling Daughter Dh=Darling Husband or Darn Husband depends on the day

Quote Originally Posted by janmwalker

Jan
    Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying!!! In this instance everyone loves a quitter. It wasn't easy and I used the Rx drug Chantix for the first month. I highly recommend it everyone out there that needs help. If you don't have insurance call Pfizer and they have programs to help pay for it or give it for free. That being said Please talk with your primary care physcian before and really reseach the drug, it isn't appropriate for every one.
    Good Luck!!

DD=Darling Daughter Dh=Darling Husband or Darn Husband depends on the day
    Thanks!! jan

Actually I am getting more exercise since I keep my ironing board on the other side of the room. The biggest thing I have given up is boredom!!!

I can't say that I have given up anything for the love of Quilting. I never did watch T.V. during the day. I don't turn the T.V. on until I go to bed around 11:00 and then it puts me to sleep. What I gained far out weighs anything, such as many quilting friends and a great wealth of knowledge from them.

Blog Entries
    I gave up my guest bed..its now where I pile fabrics, cutting mats, etc. because I have nowhere else to do that! I also gave up some of my reading time. I used to read 4-5 books a week. Since I've read everything in my little bitty library I guess its a good thing I slowed down! I've gained a lot more than I've given up I think!

And for those of you quitting smoking....CONGRATS! For those of you trying...KEEP AT IT..YOU CAN DO IT! I'm at 3 yrs., 3 mo. , just got a reduction on my health insurance for being a non-smoker..so even more $ for fabric! Keep trying, its important!!

Blog Entries
    I'v given up TV time, clean house but really don't care to do house work any way.
    I've gained time with mom and sister that are also quilter.
    I think that I've gained more than I've given up.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Glorious story! You go girl, and congratulations are the anniversary upcoming!!
    Jan in VA

I have been quilting for about 43 years now and to the best of my knowledge the only thing I have given up is a bad attitude. Used to get real crabby and bored, not anymore always have something to do or plan.
    Happy quilting :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Glorious story! You go girl, and congratulations are the anniversary upcoming!!
    Jan in VA
    Thanks to everyone for the words of praise and the encouragement. If anyone is trying to quit and needs words of encourgement or just to sound off to someone please feel free to PM me, I know how long and bumpy the road is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I gave up my guest bed..its now where I pile fabrics, cutting mats, etc. because I have nowhere else to do that! I also gave up some of my reading time. I used to read 4-5 books a week. Since I've read everything in my little bitty library I guess its a good thing I slowed down! I've gained a lot more than I've given up I think!

And for those of you quitting smoking....CONGRATS! For those of you trying...KEEP AT IT..YOU CAN DO IT! I'm at 3 yrs., 3 mo. , just got a reduction on my health insurance for being a non-smoker..so even more $ for fabric! Keep trying, its important!!
    Congrats to you!!! Isn't awesome when you get rewarded doubly for doing something that is sew good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    I have given up boredom, depression, free time.
    Amen!

I've tried hard not to give up the things you've listed (and I think I read the same article). But I definitely have given up TOO MUCH MONEY!

Still, I've gained a pastime that is gratifying in ways too many to list, and I've given AWAY a lot of joy to the people I care about in the form of quilts created especially for them. It seems a good trade off to me.

Dust!!! For some reason, when I've in a manic-quilting mood, the dust just doesn't seem to bother me as much as usual. I just pray no one drops by for coffee during these periods. I would surely be embarrassed.

I haven't really given up anything for quilting. I'm still waiting for the day when I don't have all those other responsibilities tying me down! Oh, and a little better cash flow would help!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast