Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up "too much" for quilting?

HOUSEWORK!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    I really haven't had to give up anything. My quilting works around my schedule not the other way around. We take the dogs out for walks 2 or 3 times a week and go about 2 miles each way.
    The house stays clean since there are only two here. Laundry gets done, folded but not always put away the same day. But thats not because of quilting, its cause I am too lazy.....LOL
    And meals get cooked, I cook at home alot to control our fat intake.
    That's me too. I can't think of anything that I've given up.

Computer and TV time. Which for me, is a good thing.

I've also given up having a "perfect" house, but again, a good thing. The counters are clean, the floor is swept. The bathroom is (mostly) clean! :D :D :D

I've gained more. Haven't given anything up, just changed the things I spend extra money on and I think I'm much happier now that I'm quilting again.

I have the same response. I have retired and now the creativity that went into teaching goes into quilting. And I enjoy it more than Suduko!

Loneliness.

Blog Entries
    Actually I have given up quilting time to be on this board. I am on here at least a couple of hours during the day, time that I used to be quilting. What's up with that. It is just so engrossing to see what you creative people come up with every day.

Don't you dare! No more chatting until you put in some time quilting! It's the experience that makes this valuable. BTW I am reading a very silly mystery about death by rotary cutter. Be careful everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter

I suppose reading books for pleasure would apply.
    I have to agree........I do miss my books

Anti-depressants--When I am creating I feel better about myself and don't need them.
    TV- DH likes watching the same movies over and over again.
    Budget- I have been unemployed for almost 2 years. My budget was blown a looong time ago. I firmly believe in the 3 R's
    Re-Purpose,Re-Use, Re-Cycle.
    I "get" much more than I "give up". The happiness of watching my DG's drag around a quilt I have given them is absolutely priceless.

I haven't given up a thing , my quilting and being on the board and my reading at night keeps me sane :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    I have given up boredom, depression, free time.
    DITTO…………. Me 2 and U know something I haven’t missed it one bit :D

I don't feel like I have given up anything. I have lost a lot of quilting time by being on here so much but I am retired now and after many years working in a factory I try to enjoy life.

We all have lost time which will never gain again but we gain FRIENDS that we will never lose. Thanks to all of you for being there for each other. Don't forget our New Zeland friends.

I don't believe I actually have given up anything. If anything, I have gained many things all of which are pretty positive.

Down time, stress reliever, family time as sewing room is in great room, I have something I do that I love and others in family admire and love, I learned NOT to take away from household budget but save for purchases, I learned I do not have to 'sneak' stuff into the house, I learned not everyone will like or admire my projects and that is ok, and many more things. And of course all my quilty friends on here.

Thanks for for charm pack site. I think I will enjoy viewing it and ordering from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I am very selfish with my quilting time. DH expected me to go to sporting events with him. I asked him to go to a quilt trunk show one time. He said he would never do that again he was bored to death. I said oh really? I haven't been to a sport event since.
    OMG I can so relate to this....DBF drag races and I must say being inside with fabric is 100x better than sitting at the track sweating it out and watching testosterone (from both men and women) get thrown around. lol

Blog Entries
    I gave up SMOKING for quilting. I had been a smoker for 20 some years, never in the house or car because I didn't like the way it smelled, but a smoker non the less. I was up to about 1 1/2 packs a day. To make a long story short my DD had a baby, had complications and had to be rushed back to the hospital. I had a 2 year old and a 3 day old and a diaper bag and had to rush from one side of a large hospital to the other and almost didn't make it to see my daughter before they took her into surgery becasue I was out of breath from years of smoking. Went home crying about it that night and DH said well quit smoking then, well all you smokers know that is easier said then done. When I was struggling to quit my DH said If you quit you can have all the money we spend in a year for your quilting. He figured that it totaled about $6100. WOW so after six smoke free months (I quit for good on Nov 3) I bought a Accuquilt Go, and the EQ6, and fabric galore and now I am in the process of trying to decide between the Juki 98Q with the Grace Pro or the Bernina babylock with a Grace Pinnicale and as soon as I can decide I will get it.
    I feel better even though I have gained some weight and am working on getting more exercise. I found the QB and am having so much fun that I don't even have time to miss smoking.
    So sometimes the things we give up for quilting are good things to give up!!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Cleaning house. LOL

Blog Entries
    Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    I gave up SMOKING for quilting. I had been a smoker for 20 some years, never in the house or car because I didn't like the way it smelled, but a smoker non the less. I was up to about 1 1/2 packs a day. To make a long story short my DD had a baby, had complications and had to be rushed back to the hospital. I had a 2 year old and a 3 day old and a diaper bag and had to rush from one side of a large hospital to the other and almost didn't make it to see my daughter before they took her into surgery becasue I was out of breath from years of smoking. Went home crying about it that night and DH said well quit smoking then, well all you smokers know that is easier said then done. When I was struggling to quit my DH said If you quit you can have all the money we spend in a year for your quilting. He figured that it totaled about $6100. WOW so after six smoke free months (I quit for good on Nov 3) I bought a Accuquilt Go, and the EQ6, and fabric galore and now I am in the process of trying to decide between the Juki 98Q with the Grace Pro or the Bernina babylock with a Grace Pinnicale and as soon as I can decide I will get it.
    I feel better even though I have gained some weight and am working on getting more exercise. I found the QB and am having so much fun that I don't even have time to miss smoking.
    So sometimes the things we give up for quilting are good things to give up!!! :lol:

I keep exercising b/c I started to have aches and pains quilting. I don't want to stop quilting so I exercise nearly everyday when I first get up. I'm no good at that time of day so I do the Wii Fit Plus for at least 30". I've downsized 16#s and am feeling better and better. I keep my ironing board across the room from DSM and that makes me get up and walk to get to the board. I don't want applique bottom. LOL Give up nothing for quilting. Gained quite a bit. I need to govern my computer time better. I'm still working but not quite full-time. I don't cook.

Let's see......housework, repetitous TV

I've given up having a super clean house! My sewing room is not far from my bedroom and I often go there first thing in the morning. And time goes so fast, pretty soon it's too late to start a cleaning project! I'm retired also so sewing/quilting replaces a lot of my time that I would have spent at work. My children live far away so my hobby fills the gap and since I usually give my projects away, I feel like I'm doing something good and not just for me!

Housework and television - not bad things to give up! And listening to my inner critic.
    http://uwillreadnews.blogspot.com/20...ans-we-do.html
    and finding out that quilting is a sign of maturity - so the younger quilters are more mature, and the middle aged ones are right on track, and the older quilters are younger in their thinking!
    Cheers
    Rain

I've given up a lot of outside contacts. The kind where there really wasn't any value to the contact, just a have coffee and gossip type contact. I now do things with other quilters, go to shows, retreats, road trips etc. I enjoy the day and feel good after a day of stitching. We do a lot of charity projects for nursing homes, etc. So our time together benefits the community. I've given up a lot of TV time, but do not miss that a bit. I find most TV shows just are not that interesting. Also hate the violence type shows. Or shows where nasty language is used (this is cable type shows) Haven't gone to movies for years as the film is played to loud and all the violence and bad language just isn't worth me spending my $$. rather buy fabric. grin
    I start every day with a 2 - 5 mile walk, so exercise isn't a problem. Love my slow cooker as I can put food in there and dinner is ready when we are. I think we make time for the things we really want to do.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast