Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up "too much" for quilting?

I have a friend who goes to our local library, rents the books on tape and listens to them while she quilts or is working in her sewing room. I can't do that, it breaks my concentration but I'm not good at multi-tasking in any area!! :lol:

I feel that I have gained in taking up quilting more. The one thing that has become harder is money, but that is only because my craft money is draastically cut this time of year, because of my insurance I have to pay 100% of my prescriptions for a few months and they can run up to more than $1000 a month. I plan and save for this but it still is very hard when I am doing this.

Blog Entries
    I didn't give up anything. I do the quilting in the time when I would be sitting and watching tv or reading a good book. I just multitask and piece and quilt while relax and watch tv. Wspecially in the winter.

its give and take. i have given up obsessive reading, gaming on computer.
    i hand quilt so i'm still with my family during much of my off work hours.
    i've taken the opportunity to make a beautiful queen sized quilt for my son and daughter in law. babie quilts for my grandsons. (i'm still new at quilting)
    now i'll start on a quilt for my 80 some year old parents who are living with me and as the 3 of us select the fabric i am both giving and taking.

What I've given up? Lets see, quite a bit of TV, computer time, playing video games, house work not up to par, spending time with my wife and dog, using money that could have been spent on other things to buy supplies and upgrades. After all is said and done, I wouldn't give up quilting for any of this. All other things will work themselves out eventually and it gives me peace of mind to be creating something so beautiful and practical.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbuchanan
    Dust!!! For some reason, when I've in a manic-quilting mood, the dust just doesn't seem to bother me as much as usual. I just pray no one drops by for coffee during these periods. I would surely be embarrassed.
    Dust is my down fall too. I figure if you are coming to see me you won't see the dust. :lol: That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    If I want to have a good time....shopping, etc I leave HIM at the house. If he wants to have a good time hunting/fishing he leaves me at the house. A great arrangement (45 years worth)

:thumbup: DH and I rarely travel in the same vehicle. I will follow him in my car because I stop whenever I see something interesting. He goes straight to the destination, like it's his mission to get there as soon as possible. :roll:

My house keeping has gone to the back burner. Jus the necessities are done.lol

Blog Entries
    I don't feel like I have given up anything but in reality when I think about it I guess I have. I "used" to read constantly. There wasn't many times that you wouldn't find me with a book in my hands. Oh yes....housework. Thank goodness my DH really helps with that. He even cooks once in a while and at least once a week he likes just grilled cheese sandwiches and either tomato soup or chicken noodle. Easy peasy. Also there is cross stitching which I used to love to do. Just not enough time.
    For all those that have either quit or are trying to quit. Just hang in there, you can do it! Believe me, I quit 6 years ago after smoking 50 years. If I can do it, you certainly can too!

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I have not given up a thing. I retired last year and my quilting time is a replacement for the 60+ hours per week that I worked. I still get everything else done, including exercise and family time. In fact, I do more of that than I did when I worked. I earned my quilting and QB time and I'm not going to feel guilty about it.
    DITTO!! After 30 yrs of working, I retired to do the things I love! I quilt when my DH is busy with other things, but also spend more time with him...hee, hee, wondered how that would work! I also like to read and fish.

My Dr. noticed I had put on weight since I retired, so I'm spending 15 min a day walking up the road and back and measuring what I eat. I've lost 7 lbs since Sept. 1. I need to lose 43 more!

:shock:

I will admit to struggling with these issues, but I believe I have finally achieved a better balance. :-D
    I don't blame quilting for any negative habits. It's up to me as a human being to take care of myself.
    Quilting is nothing but positive and like anything else on this planet, can lead to excess. It doesn't have to.
    We have choices. For me...quilting stays!!! :thumbup:

Going to the YMCA to exercise, spending time in front of the TV gellin, and getting dishes done, as well as even bothering to cook, we've been eating out a bit more with me working every eve, I bring dinner home instead, so I can fiddle with fabrics, while hubby plays his computer games with his friends. It makes my living room a disaster zone, and we currently only have one chair because I've spread out over the chaise lounge and couch, as well as the dining room table we never eat at... :) Not having kids has it's advantages, but then again, when you have them, it tends to make you keep house more.

Quote Originally Posted by Boni53
    Hi Jan,
    It was so good to see you on the web site. Glad you are doing well. The Appomattox Quilt Guild is still going strong. Need to get with you and talk about you doing a class with us.
    Bonnie
    Bonnie, I would love to get with and talk about the class you spoke. My quilting time is limited however, I still work full time and don't have much time at night with going to Curves three time a week. You can contact me at my email address if you'd like: [email protected]
    Hope to talk with you soon.
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    Quote Originally Posted by janmwalker
    Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    I gave up SMOKING for quilting. I had been a smoker for 20 some years, never in the house or car because I didn't like the way it smelled, but a smoker non the less. I was up to about 1 1/2 packs a day. To make a long story short my DD had a baby, had complications and had to be rushed back to the hospital. I had a 2 year old and a 3 day old and a diaper bag and had to rush from one side of a large hospital to the other and almost didn't make it to see my daughter before they took her into surgery becasue I was out of breath from years of smoking. Went home crying about it that night and DH said well quit smoking then, well all you smokers know that is easier said then done. When I was struggling to quit my DH said If you quit you can have all the money we spend in a year for your quilting. He figured that it totaled about $6100. WOW so after six smoke free months (I quit for good on Nov 3) I bought a Accuquilt Go, and the EQ6, and fabric galore and now I am in the process of trying to decide between the Juki 98Q with the Grace Pro or the Bernina babylock with a Grace Pinnicale and as soon as I can decide I will get it.
    I feel better even though I have gained some weight and am working on getting more exercise. I found the QB and am having so much fun that I don't even have time to miss smoking.
    So sometimes the things we give up for quilting are good things to give up!!! :lol:
    I too had giving up smoking over a year ago but started up again recently and everyday I am mad at myself for going back. It is very hard to stop "cold turkey" but that was the third time I had stopped. I never seemed to lose the desire. I truly want to quit and am going on a bus with a totally non smoking group. My hope is that my will power will hold out this next week and I can say again that I have given it up once again.

I admire your stamina. Keep up the good work.

I don't have a support group, i.e. spouse, etc, live alone so no one to fuss at me.

PS: what is DD and DH?

Jan
    Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying!!! In this instance everyone loves a quitter. It wasn't easy and I used the Rx drug Chantix for the first month. I highly recommend it everyone out there that needs help. If you don't have insurance call Pfizer and they have programs to help pay for it or give it for free. That being said Please talk with your primary care physcian before and really reseach the drug, it isn't appropriate for every one.
    Good Luck!!

DD=Darling Daughter Dh=Darling Husband or Darn Husband depends on the day
    I too tried the Chantix but is caused ill effects. I think WILL POWER if the best way. Just how do you keep from going back?

jan

As for me, I would rather go to a dentist office and have all my teeth pulled without anesthic than exercise, and eating "healthy" is in the eye of the beholder! I don't look at it as "giving up things in order to quilt, I look at it as my way of meditating and making things. I think it beats being a couch potato watching TV all night!

tmw
    where did you find that cute fluttering butterfly. please,

I am along with you. Quilting gets rid of depression and keeps the long days a whole lot shorter. I live alone do not hear from my kids much so my quilting becomes my life
    Quote Originally Posted by 3flowers
    I give up nothing but a tad of depression. Quilting puts me on a new 'high'. After all, I am using up some of my endless stash, I am gaining a new piece of art, and I am insulating myself from some of the other stuff that goes on around the house. I am off to new heights when I quilt. Don't bother me with mundane stuff!

Kesa good for you, after smoking for 47 years , 3years ago ,I put them down and haven t picked them back up. Keep up the good job.

Blog Entries
    I have gained quilting friends and lots of quilting ideas.

I have given up nothing to do and getting bored and I guess my money. I had to much time on my hands when I retired and decide to put my hands and mind to something useful. My kids and grandkids think its great that I'm making all this stuff for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Don't you dare! No more chatting until you put in some time quilting! It's the experience that makes this valuable. BTW I am reading a very silly mystery about death by rotary cutter. Be careful everyone!!
    DO NOT PUT YOUR LEFT HAND AT THE END OF THE FABRIC WHEN YOU ARE ZIPPING WITH THE ROTARY CUTTER IN THE RIGHT HAND! Yes, I did. Now I can tell all the rest of you not to do it. It cut right through my fingernail. (Yes, I'm allright!)

Bev
    I haven't consciously given up things. But since there are just so many hours in a day, I've had to quilt in some of the time I might be reading or walking for exercise, which I try to squeeze out more time for. I don't go out shopping as much as I used to. I consider that a benefit. But I now have friends that I might never have found if it hadn't been for quilting. I think it's just a question of changing one's life around a bit to make time for doing something that you really want to do. My daughter started on a very regimented exercise program and had to change a lot of small things in her life to allow for it. She's so much better off since she's done that. We all make small sacrifices for something! 8-)

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have given up TV so I could spend more time reading and quilting. I tend to read during the week and sew on weekends with my friends. I have cut back on buying books to buy fabric and patterns and quilting books. But I have gained so much more than I have given up.

Being a recent widow, my quilting has become my therapy so what I've given up is the intense loneliness.

I enjoy sewing and quilting, but I also like being outside and playing golf. I do have UFO's but have a hard time sitting down to do them. Also reading this board takes me away from the sewing machine. I guess I have to blame it on something.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast