Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Giving up "too much" for quilting?

I am hard pressed to think of what I've 'given up'. Quilting is more of a giving thing so I've not given up anything. I've always been a lousy house keeper, clutter does not bother me. Now I am out in my 'sudio' as my sweet sister calls it and so even more, the clutter in the house doesn't bother me. I've not given up anything, but I've gained so many friends and with each friend comes a new confidence!!!

i have solved the problem of missing books; i moved to books on the mp3 player and listen as i sew; i just finished the new book by jodi picoult(?), which was my first one, talk about zoning out - book and sewing at the same time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    My quilt guild asked me to be the featured quillter for our upcoming show (Oct. 2nd and 3rd) IN my efforts to complete 30 quilts for the show, I have given up a summer of golf. Next summer, I'm not going near my sewing machine!
    WOW!!! To have an honor like that given to you must make you very proud. Congratulations!!!

I was an avid reader before I found quilting, now I'm lucky if I read a book a month!

I like your way of thinking np3!

i am sooo proud for you! what an honor! i know your family is so proud of you! congrats from the bottom of my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Artsyfartsy
    I gave up a lot of things:
    Guilt: at not having a clean house, done dishes, and a career.
    Anger: at being disabled, went 'poof' when I started being creative again.
    Frustration: at not being 'perfect' at sewing or any daily task. Perfection is up to God, and frankly, I'm not Heaven Material yet. ;)
    Depression: Just the joy in creating something helps, even if its just a mess!
    So very well said AF, I couldn't agree more!!! Hugs and smiles.

Do these people who wonder what we quilters give up in order to satisfy our need to quilt (time, $$$, exercise, etc.) ever wonder what we women sacrifice to raise children or how we benefit from it? This comparison may be outrageous, but raising children is the single most expensive, time consuming, joyful, sometimes heartbreaking endeavor that we ever get to do. And first, there is the stinkin' pregnancy, followed by horrendous labor pains, followed by many sleepless nights.

These "children" are not a hobby that we can get tired of and discard ... they are with us for life. I think & hope that, for most people, parenthood is a wonderful blessing. My children (who have been adults for many years) are my best friends and always have been, but I still feel a huge responsibility towards them.

If we can spend decades feeding, clothing, caring for children, (and a spouse, to boot) we have earned any and all rights to a lawful hobby, whether it be quilting, pole-dancing, whatever! Ditto for you "youngsters" who quilt & are still raising your children.

Blog Entries
    :) I am blessed to have found quilting at my age and enjoy the whole process. I do find I have to watch the spending since on a fixed income, but all the scraps given to me thus far and scraps left from small projects I have made and some purchases of material are adding up, so now I can relax and just work with what I have ( only buy if absolutely needed) Ummmm well we will see how that goes! A quilting show is coming up the 16th and I have vowed to be very conservative in spending and scope out the all the goodies and pick something special. That could be a Thimble!! As for giving up things, TV somewhat, Reading (Not) I try and read some each night before turning in. Exercise I get in moderate amounts, but could use more. Time with family (hub for the most part) is sufficient ( no complaints as of yet) When grandkids and son/wife visit all time is spent with them... and there are day trips. So all in all I don't feel I have really given up anything for quilting :)

Banned
    How can you be giving up anything when you gain so much in return? Quilting is my therapy!

You took the words right out of my mouth Weezie!

At first I gave up reading but then I missed books so I got audios and now I can quilt and listen to a bool best of both worlds - other wise I haven't given up much

Oops meant to say Books

I do not know what site I was on when the question arose about the left twisted thread. There is no difference, the thread is only wound the opposite way.

hi,i wouldsay i have not given up anything, as a matter of fact ,i have gained so many new friends ,and learned so much about quilting ,we have a new guild, we started with 6, and now we have 23 ladies, and they look forward to our meetings including me, and my husband helps me with our computer items,and he is very proud of what i have learned to do. very relaxing and addictive..teresa

between quilting and this forum i find i read less than i used to. still watch tv but only b/c is on when quilting so don't really watch it too close. cleaning? ha! but at least now i have a better excuse why house is clean - since my family benefits from my quilts (gifts etc) they don't dare complain!

In my new sewing room, the machine table faces the tv, and there's a cd player on a shelf, so I can sew and enjoy them at the same time.
    Right next to my sewing table is my elliptical machine. It sure looks nice, good thing, that's the only place it could be. It faces the tv too, I guess so they can keep each other company when I'm not there. I suppose the ekkiptical can be used to hang fabric?

It gives me something nice to look at if I choose to. Can you tell it doean't have many miles on it?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quilting has added to my life, as I can't do things because I am disabled, so I actuly get some excersize because I hobble in the kitchen to iron. God bless.

Doesn't this site count for reading?LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    Quote Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    My quilt guild asked me to be the featured quillter for our upcoming show (Oct. 2nd and 3rd) IN my efforts to complete 30 quilts for the show, I have given up a summer of golf. Next summer, I'm not going near my sewing machine!
    WOW!!! To have an honor like that given to you must make you very proud. Congratulations!!!
    That is something to be very proud of, Congrats! (Jan)

I have given up my genealogy, cleaning and some cooking. Thank goodness I have a husband who loves to cook!

It is true that we can become over focused on a project and ignore some of our necessities, like exercise and healthy eating. But maybe we should gather a few gals of like interest together here and compare ways to reinvent a healthier routine...like walking 10 minutes every day before going into the sewing mode, or measuring out our meals early in the day so that we don't run to the refrig to snack when we find ourselves hungry during a focused session. Would anyone like to be involved in such an accountability project??? It could be fun and very rewarding.

Dee
    I fully agree with np3. I don't feel guilty at all. Cuz it was hard work getting to this point in life. Now I enjoy the things I never had time to squeeze in when I worked.

I don't feel guilty, I worked hard and now I can only some things with light exercise and since I am home alone mostly during the day, the house is clean and I have only myself to worry about. I have been doing the twist( you remember that dance) it is my way of exercise and tone up at the same time. 5 minutes is all my back will take at one time so I do it a few times during the day. I am not giving up any thing I like doing at all.

Quilting isn't an exercise? OMG that explains it!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast