Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to Lancaster this weekend >

Going to Lancaster this weekend

Going to Lancaster this weekend

Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 AM

Quiltluver: Is the Fabric Shack or Quilt Shack also off the PA turnpike or is it in Lancaster? Going to Lancaster in Nov and want to hit as many places as possible. Already have DH exercising arms to build up for "holding bolts." :roll:
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by SSTeacher
Quiltluver: Is the Fabric Shack or Quilt Shack also off the PA turnpike or is it in Lancaster? Going to Lancaster in Nov and want to hit as many places as possible. Already have DH exercising arms to build up for "holding bolts." :roll:
It's going into Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse. Route 340 or something like that. It would be on the left side. Maybe three miles (?) or so further down is the People's Place Museum on the right.

I used to have a map of the area with all the shops but I can't find it at the moment. Should I come across it I'll definitely get back to you.

Hayloft has about 8,000 bolts, charms, jellys, scrap baskets to dig in (my favorite), battings, flannels, repos, 30's, the latest new lines, patterns, books, made for sale items, fat quarters. I love how their fabric is organized and labeled. It's upstairs overlooking a little grocery store, which the whole thing is made to look like a barn, thus the "hayloft" fabrics above. And they have a coupon on their website to use each month. Just print it out.

(Your husband will thank you at this store, they have carts for the bolts. Thing is you may need more than one!) :mrgreen:
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Yes this is exactly what I mean. My DD is a Theater Geek and I love things that are Theater/Renaissance related.
Ooh, wonderful! I'm hoping to design some quilt projects with a medieval/ Tudor/ Renaissance look. (Yes, I know these are different centuries, but I meant all of them.) Have you made any quilts with your jester fabrics and are there pictures of them? I tried doing a search, couldn't find any - but I didn't check every thread.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks so much, quiltluver. You are a dear. I am not sure I can wait until Nov. to get there :D . My DH also thanks you for the "cart suggestion." We are going to Gettysburg in Oct. for a short visit so will not make it over to Lancaster, but definitely in Nov. Going to the Am. Music Theater Christmas Show also.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 AM

SSTeacher,

Here's a list of places I came up with. I'm sure you'll have such a great trip and can just imagine the fun you'll have exploring, buying, touching new treasures to bring home. Be sure to tell us all the details!

My personal must-not-miss places:

The Quilt and Fabric Shack
3137 Old Philadelphia Pike
Bird-In-Hand, PA 17505 (717)768-0338
features 6,000 bolts, locally made crafts

Omar and Sylvia Petershiem
2544 Old Philadelphia Pike
Bird-in-Hand, PA 17505 (717)392-6404
features handmade quilts, fabric

(my note: Lovely fabric but what got me was the quilts and the prices! The "shop" is the basement of her house and she has beautiful quilts hanging outside throughout her yard. I really hope you get a chance to go in. You won't be sorry by what you see.)

I've also mentioned Hayloft Fabrics. Probably my absolute favorite store. Off the PA turnpike, exit 298, near the intersection of Rtes 10 & 23.
150 Moreview Blvd.
Morgantown, PA 19543 (610-286-5045)
features 8,000 bolts, sale coupons printed from website, notions, batting, handmade items, books

The Old Country Store
3518 Old Philadelphia Pike
Intercourse, PA 17534 (717)768-7101
features large selection of fabrics, books, locally made items
2nd floor: The Peoples Place Quilt Museum
Free admission
(another must see if you can squeeze it in)
Directly across the street is the Kitchen Kettle Village which has a variety of shops offering homemade foods, meats, cheeses, handcrafted items, souvenirs, candles, sports stuff, leather items, and a whole bunch more.

Other shops, in no particular order:

Burkholder's Fabrics
2155 West Rte. 897
Denver, PA 17517 (717)336-6692
features 12,000 bolts
Truthfully, I had a hard time find this one as it's out in some really rural area. With all that fabric to choose from, I didn't find what I thought I might, but at least I made it out there to see it all. :-)

Dutchland Quilt Patch/Village of Dutch Delights
2851 Lincoln Highway East
Ronks, PA 17572 (717-687-0534)
features 6,000 bolts, patterns, books, locally made items. Downstairs is handcrafted items and quilts.

Then there's all the stores too numerous to mention that will feed the fabric addiction. Pick up some local literature so if you ever get back you can explore even more.

Happy quilting!!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Ya know, all of you who want to go with her, we could plan this out for a couple of days next summer. We could meet each other and shop and get a group rate on a good place to stay and eat Amish food and quilt and quilt and quilt and quilt...

OH! I am totally in! What fun! And there's a whole year to plan! Woo hoo! Come on ladies, this could be a blast! Terri, you'll be back by then too!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm ready Lets hit the road.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Wow, quiltluver, you "outdid" yourself with all of those wonderful store names and locations! You are an angel. We will try to get to as many as possible and will post our success on the Forum in November. Thank you so very much for all of that valuable time you spent giving the info (you could have been quilting :D . Anyway, I appreciate it so much. I am sure others do also.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM

:oops: :oops: Aw, shucks! :oops: :oops:

This is what the board is all about, passing along good info and all. Glad I could contribute.

I can't wait to see what all you come home with and if your husband survives the workout! :lol: Half the fun is combing thru all the shops, shelves, bins and baskets. Many hidden treasures await. :D

(Now, if I could find a way to minimize myself and email me to you I could hitch a ride and plunder the shops too! I got Monopoly money if that'll help!) :lol:
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
If you are going East on Route 30 and pass the big mall, about 1 mile (I am a poor judge of distance) there is a place called Dutchland Quilt Patch. They have gifts on the 1st floor and fabulous fabric on the second level. It is on the left hand side of the road. There is also several other shops in the ares (not fabric) like woodworking things etc. Enjoy your trip. Also if you are up around Lititz there is a place called Weavers just outside of Litiz on Route501 north. They have excellent prices. Marge
Thank you for this info for I am also heading up this weekend and plan on spending tuesday and wed in Lancaster, and the way things look maybe even this Friday on my way to North NJ... cant go through the area with out planning a shopping trip. taking a friend to South Jersey so I figure well instead of driving in one day might as well go a day early stay over night and shop half a day away and it is worth the hotel stay.. we were supposed to just drive straight up and not shop till tuesday but heck I cant go that long without fabric! I have a whole list made of stops but didnt know of Dutchland so I think it will be worth swinging by and seeing what they have. We used to live in Southern NJ so we used to shop up there all the time