Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >
  • Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

• Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 10-30-2009, 03:25 AM

lol that is funny. I am 34 and know what a ham is. The kind you sew with and the kind you eat...lol but then I have been sewing since I was 8 and started with clothing construction. I worked at jo-anns when I was in high school but back then you had better had known a good bit about sewing or you weren't getting a job there. now they just don't care. I was lucky to have home ec classes still in high school too but those were just easy A'a...lol I wonder if they even still teach home ec?
    Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 AM

Crashnquilt doesn't say where she's from so I don't know her Joann's location. Guess I'm blessed, having two knowledgeable Joanns near me, here in Nashua, NH. Perhaps they know their stuff because it's a nice mix of older and younger staff. I can honestly say that they've been able to direct me to the correct spot everytime I've looked for something, even after a (dreaded) store reorganization.

Unfortunately, three quilt shops closest to me have all closed in the past two years. One has gone completely on-line, one only vends at quilt shows, and the last is gone. This is a trend that is disturbing. I like to "feel" the fabric and, really know what color I'm getting.

Anyone else see this trend in their area; i.e., quilt shops closing?
    Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 AM

LOL :)
    Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
    Banned

thats why i wrote in one post that i often wonder just how many sales clerks there actually sew.? :x
    Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Olivias Granny----The ham could be used for pressing seams open so the next row doesn't get "unpressed". I took a banister rail and monted it on a flat board then wrapped it in batting and covered with muslin. I use it for this purpose. Works great and don't have to keep repressing the other rows that get "Messed up".
    Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 AM

Maybe those hams are near the tomato pincushions...right on over at the farmer's market??
    Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM

ooooooooooh tooo too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well said!

me thinks this young whipper snapper needs some further sewing notion education!!
    Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Olivias Granny----The ham could be used for pressing seams open so the next row doesn't get "unpressed". I took a banister rail and monted it on a flat board then wrapped it in batting and covered with muslin. I use it for this purpose. Works great and don't have to keep repressing the other rows that get "Messed up".
    I don't press my seams open, but the banister rail is a good idea. However I have a tailors tool that could also be used to press open seams. I do use the tailors tool for garmet construction. Which seams do you press open in quilting, certain blocks or all of the seams?
    Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 AM

"I don't press my seams open, but the banister rail is a good idea. However I have a tailors tool that could also be used to press open seams. I do use the tailors tool for garmet construction. Which seams do you press open in quilting, certain blocks or all of the seams?
    "

I press most of my seams to the "dark" side or at least to one side. The seams that I press "open" are the binding, when I'm piecing borders together, and if there are a whole bunch of seams meeting together.
    Old 10-30-2009, 09:12 AM

That is sew funny!!! Glad you gave her a good come back. Now -- can't you just imagine this child going home and telling her mom that some "old lady" came into the store wanting to buy a ham????? :lol: :lol: :lol: