Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 10-30-2009, 03:05 PM

That sounds like a neat place to live. But I like it here, mainly b/c of my family.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM

My kids and their families all live in Idaho, but we are thinking of moving there when we retire, but here in Montana we don't have sales tax, and we are pretty sheltered. Fads don't seem to hit here until they aren't fads anymore, and there is even one lady that rides her horse into town to do errands. It's cowboy friendly and Huey Lewis (remember him?) lives here. not that I would know him if he stepped on me, but they say he is real friendly.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Too funny. Wouldn't it be nice to be that young and clueless! :?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM

What town do you live in?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM

The Long's Drugstore near my daughter's home in Northern CA has a very nice fabric & notions Dept, a mix of quilt store brand names & Walmart type fabric. The whole store is like a mini Walmart. But a Long's about 4 miles away is just a drugstore.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Oh I like that idea...my sister use to live in Northern California, Mount Shasta area until her husband passed away, then she moved to the Cayman Islands and is now in the Bay Islands retire. Northern California is such a pretty area. I really liked it. When I plan road trips or have to go on business to a location, I plan the trip on how many different quilt shops I can visit along the way. Its been very interesting and everyone is so different from another. I've not been disappointed, but these smaller towns have also either the old fashion general dry goods store or in your case the drug store with fabric which are also very unique now a days. I keep a log book and a sample of each fabric I buy and the price in case I need more some day I now the area or source but's its also interesting to see where I've been and how the next quilt developed from it. I love this website as I've got another whole outlet of quilting friends from it and I am new to it. Thanks to all of you who are sharing.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 PM

re: pressing seams in quilts. Very, very seldom should you press seams open as it causes a weaker seam than when pressed closed. "simply" alternate the pressing direction of your seams so when two pieces are joined, the seams go in opposite directions. I say "simply" . . .ha! I can't tell you how many times I've messed up! re: dressmaker's ham - indispensible (oops! I quilt better than I spell) for pressing curved seams on garments.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM

I'm old, but what IS a dressmaker's ham? :shock:

Oh--I see it's in a reply... going to learn something.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM

I absolutely LOVE your story! The world needs more of us "silver foxes".
Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 PM

To qbeth, when I lived in Northwest Arizona (Bullhead City) there were no LQS, my only resource was Walmart. When they closed their fabric department two years ago, the clerk told me I could drive over the mountain 45 miles to the next town over and go to that Walmart. I laughed at her and told her if I had to drive for fabric, I might as well go to Vegas (100 miles) and go to Joann's. Now that I'm in Socal, there are two Joanne's within 20 miles. I haven't ventured to the LQS's yet, I'm on a hiatius from buy fabric till I whittle down my stash (but that doesn't count towards what I can find at the second hand stores - tee hee hee.)