Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what else they had at Harbor Freight?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I love going to the hardware store for quilting supplies!

Me too! I found a telescoping magnet for picking up pins and needles. I also found the magnetic dishes really cheap. I found small needle nose pliers for pulling needles through when quilting really cheap. I found clamps to keep my quilts tight on the frame rally cheap. Every time I go into a hardware store or an automotive store, I look at everything to see if I can re-purpose it for quilting. It's fun and when I do find something, I feel really smart!!!!
    How much are the telescoping magnets? Edie

Quote Originally Posted by piepatch
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzm
    Ive made these in several sizes and they are great.. I even transport my laptop and wires etc in individual ones when Im travelling.. fits better in my carryon.
    Am I the only one confused by this post? :shock:
    I was puzzled by this too. Maybe the poster just posted to the wrong thread?
    What they are talking about when they say 'snap bags' is the fact that you can use parts of the tape measure in the top of bags, putting the number sides ( the curve) toward the outside, I think. Then you can pinch the bags apart to put things in them, and when you let go of the bag, the top snaps back closed. I hope this helps. There is a link above that explains how to make the bags.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis
    Ive made these in several sizes and they are great.. I even transport my laptop and wires etc in individual ones when Im travelling.. fits better in my carryon.
    What they are talking about when they say 'snap bags' is the fact that you can use parts of the tape measure in the top of bags, putting the number sides ( the curve) toward the outside, I think. Then you can pinch the bags apart to put things in them, and when you let go of the bag, the top snaps back closed. I hope this helps. There is a link above that explains how to make the bags.
    You're right about the bag. The pattern is by Stitchn'Sisters, called Snap Happy! They have a 2nd one out called Snap Happier(purse & tote). Hope this helps you find them.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've gotten three of those super grips on garage sales for 50 cents or a $1 each. LOVE THEM! I'm planning a trip to HF or a similar cheap tool store the next time I go to town. If they have cheap blades I'm going to get all they have. I also want to see if they have some cheap 3/4 or 1" metal tape measures so that I can take them apart and cut them up for snap bags.
    They have metal tape measures" at the .99 cent store.
    I have bought several.
    What is a snap bag?

OK, girls, i read through all the posts and did not see anyone mention the magnetic wrist band. I got one and it is great!
    I put it on my left wrist, turned inward, and when I pin the quilt to the leader cloths, I have my pins handy. This is a better idea than those wrist pin cushions. It was $2.39 No more reaching for and fumbling with pins. A Great find! I also got a magnetic bowl to use on my quilting frame. That sure will help round up the stray pins.

I bought these items when I stopped by a 2nd time, to buy the other 5 sets of blades I had left for someone else. They didn't need them as bad as I did!

June in Cincinnati

Bev
    Please, please ladies ... leave a few for me. I won't be able to get there until this afternoon!! 8-) ;-)

June in Cincinnati, did you get the magnetic wrist band at HF?

Yes, I did and each of those items were in different departments. I found the gal who does the ordering and stocking. She took me to each area, got the item and put it in my hand. Great service.

June in Cincinnati

If you order from HF online, they will order them for you. I just did and got a confirmation on my order.How cool is that!!

With postage it should still be a lot less than anywhere else.

June in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I love going to the hardware store for quilting supplies!

Me too! I found a telescoping magnet for picking up pins and needles. I also found the magnetic dishes really cheap. I found small needle nose pliers for pulling needles through when quilting really cheap. I found clamps to keep my quilts tight on the frame rally cheap. Every time I go into a hardware store or an automotive store, I look at everything to see if I can re-purpose it for quilting. It's fun and when I do find something, I feel really smart!!!!
    How much are the telescoping magnets? Edie
    I got mine for $2.99!

She was talking about the snap bags. They are really easy to make. The "snap" part is pieces of metal measuring tape sewn into a seam at the opening of the bag and it snaps shut. Remember the old snap bracelets from the 1980's? It behaves the same way.

Blog Entries
    I think we might be going to a town with a HF on sunday. Are they open sundays? We need a part for our dryer and dh thinks the sears there will have it. Just need to talk dh into going to HF (he's probably the only man in the world who hates shopping SO much even Harbor Freight is a chore).

Blog Entries
    OMGoodness!!!!! I have never heard of this store before. I went to their web site and did a search to see if there were any stores near me. I could hardly believe my eyes!!! There is one that is 7 miles from where I live!!! I'm going shopping!!! :lol: Personally, I love hardware stores and outdoor/hunting/fishing stores. I always find the greatest stuff there! :oops:

Hubby brought me the handles last year from HF. love them! thanks for posting about the blades. I'll have hubby keep a look out for them. he goes to HF at least once a week.

Bev
    I just got back from HF and am so pleased with my purchases!
    Here's what I got ...
    A magnetic parts tray, which will be my pin,etc holder. There were two sizes, I got the smaller one. It's just right.
    A telescoping magnetic pick up tool.Extends to 27 and a half inches.
    A micro magnifier with LEDs that give off great light.
    And I found a coupon on-line for a 16' by 34" metal measuring tape. It's a beauty and I only paid $1.49 for it.
    I saw lots of other goodies I left for another day. There was a solid oak work table at cutting table height. It had felt lined drawers and a large shelf underneath it. There was a clamp on one side. I don't know what I'd do with it (the clamp) but I'm sure I could think of something. (on sale for 159.95)
    And, oh yeah, I got the carpet cutter refills too. They had a ton of them.
    This is a great place and it's open 7 days a week. Most nights until 8pm. I think I've died and gone to heaven! It's only ten minutes from home!

I went to HF today too, the store in Southern Plaza in Indianapolis, IN. It is just 26 miles from my home!!! I got some of the carpet cutter refills, only 5 packages as I thought it would be enough for a while, and I told a friend I'd get her one too. They had a bunch of them!!!
    I also got a couple of suction cup handles. I got a Mini Suction Cup item no. 46900 for $2.99 that I thought would be good for smaller rulers, and a Gordon Aluminum Handle Single Suction Cup item no. 92825 for $5.99. The Al. one is heavier and I thought just the weight would be enough to help hold the ruler down. I had looked at the big white ones that had the 2 suction cups and thought it might be too bulky to use. I have small hands. I haven't actually tried any of the things I got, except to hook the small suction cup one to a small template. I think it might be a nice way to hold some of the smaller ones in place when cutting.
    Thanks for letting us know about all of the good stuff they have there.
    I also have telescoping magnets that I got at Auto Zone, for about $3.00 each. I am careful to keep them away from my machine, just in case, but keep one in each of my little bags of sewing supplies; hand piecing bag, hand quilting bag, hand sewing and mending bag, etc.
    My little bags are a see through mesh that I bought a few years ago. Knowing what I do now, if I need another one, I'll make my own with the window screen that is not metal and put a zipper between 2 pieces while it is flat, and then turn inside out and sew a hem around the other 3 sides. I like bags that I can see into without having to open them up.
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    Thank you all, I need blades really bad, but I can't afford the shipping. Sometimes things just suck. God bless.
    Penny, you don't have to pay shipping because we have one locally. There's a Harbor Freight in Beaverton right near the Sunset Hwy/217 interchange. It's only 10 min. from me. Are you planning to be at the get-together at Alice's house next month? I can pick up some blades and bring them for you.

Jen

What a nice friend.

In my message above, I copied the numbers on the boxes, but later saw that there were stickers on the back that might have HF's item numbers on them. They are 462009 for the little suction cup, and 282010 for the larger one, in case anyone was wanting to look them up on their web site to see what they look like. Just trying to be helpful. :) Janis

Blog Entries
    Just saw your post.I get HF ads....usually in with Sunday paper coupons. There's a 20% off coupon for any one thing in the store. Haven't read it, but could be a good deal for you.

What are super grip handles? Where did you fing them in the store and is that what they're called?

Blog Entries
    We went today but I only got 3 packs of rotary blades and a long handled magnetic thing. DH was looking at a lot of stuff so maybe he'll want to go back someday. I was going to get a handle but then I remembered I have one that I really don't use much.

Blog Entries
    The Columbus,OH store didn't have much that interested me. Out of handles,out of blades.I passed on the magnetic pin holder.My machine is computerized & not worth taking a chance.Really didn't care about the blades.Have used 60mm size since they 1st came out & am used to them.

I went to the HF in Southern Plaza yesterday. Bought 10 packages of blades...left 6-8 for someone else. The HF in Castleton did not have any blades.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast