Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what else they had at Harbor Freight?

After reading this post I checked HF also, even though we don't have any in this area. Backordered until kingdom come. I looked at some other hardware stores on-line but didn't find anything that seemed suitable. This kind of bargain just makes you feel good about all the money you spend on fabric, right?

watterstide in the pictures area on this board has a picture of snap bags.

where in Northern New York did you check We found them in the Watertown store PM me with your address and I will go back and see if they have more and mail them to you

Blog Entries
    This is too funny. At the bottom of my page is an ad for Harbor Freight Coupons. Guess I better print one off.

dont forget that when buying the carpet cutter blades they are VERY VERY sharp

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all, I need blades really bad, but I can't afford the shipping. Sometimes things just suck. God bless.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    watterstide in the pictures area on this board has a picture of snap bags.
    Didn't find a watterstide in pictures. Can you repost where again.

Blog Entries
    Today I went to HF and they had just put out rotary blades and I got them all but 1 pack because I felt so guilty taking most of them I tried them out and was thrilled to death. Thanks to whoever told us about this great deal.

about 2 degrees north of H-E-double hockey sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    I checked at HF and still don't know what your all talk'in about :?: I saw no Roto blades :?: and now grip handles :?: ;)
    search rotary carpet blades for the cutters and suction cups for the handles.

I wondered what a snap bag was too and found this tutorial. When I get to HF I guess I will buy a carpenters tape measure also.

http://tatteredgarden.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

Another thing you can get at Harbor Freight is canvas drop cloth. With the coupons they are really cheap. I cut up several to use as the base for shopping/market bags. The canvas is a little heavier than that sold through JoAnn's, but it makes great shopping bags.

DH is constantly going to HF for all kinds of things tht are either on sale or to get using their coupons. Now I guess I'll have to go in with him instead of sitting in the car!!

Blog Entries
    HF & I have been friends for a long time. My Jo-Ann store is located right next to Harbor Fright. DH can hang out there while I shop, and I can pick up quilting supplies in conjunction with my Jo-Ann trip. Check out the clamps. I use the heavy duty ones when making the sandwich. The office clips don't work on the big table I use, but the red clips are great!

Blog Entries
    HF & I have been friends for a long time. My Jo-Ann store is located right next to Harbor Fright. DH can hang out there while I shop, and I can pick up quilting supplies in conjunction with my Jo-Ann trip. Check out the clamps. I use the heavy duty ones when making the sandwich. The office clips don't work on the big table I use, but the red clips are great!

The coupon is the link I used to find the store here in Ocala, FL. I'm going tomorrow and check them out.

I got blades, and a rubber tile with self stick stuff on the bottom to put on my machine pedal. I am tired of chasing it all over the room on that slick laminate floor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    They also have the big round magnetic ashtrays. I have two of them and they are strong. Your pins will not get away.
    Hardware stores and such are great places to find all sorts of neat things for quilting at a much more reasonable price. Just a quick word of caution...If you have a computerized sewing machine, please keep the magnetic ashtrays (pin trays) away from your machine...The magnet is too strong and will mess up your machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Little did I know we have a Harbor Freight here in town, and, right across the street from a quilt store! I bought the last pack of blades, didn't see the cutter, but I will check back from time to time. I'm wondering if the quilt store will notice a drop in sales of blades.
    Forget the cutter unless you cut carpet. It is not designed for fabric. I would rather spend the money on the blades. I got the cutter and the blades. Threw the cutter in the tool box in the basement where no doubt it will never be used, unless maybe I give up quilting and go into design carpeting --- NAW!!!!!!! Edie

Nzm
    Blog Entries
    Ive made these in several sizes and they are great.. I even transport my laptop and wires etc in individual ones when Im travelling.. fits better in my carryon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you. I have lived in this city for 40 years and never knew we had a HF. Called them and they do have the blades. Can you believe it? I would never have thought of it if it hadn't been for this board.

Okay, I got the part about the carpet blades, but I don't know what kind of handles you are talking about and what you use them for can you give me a hint?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanawdeb
    Okay, I got the part about the carpet blades, but I don't know what kind of handles you are talking about and what you use them for can you give me a hint?
    You can buy the rotary blades 2/package for $1. 45 or so, and they also carry the blade holder or cutter holder to use when you cut carpeting and that has one blade on the cutter and two blades underneath. $4.00 for the cutter and three blades. You can't use the cutter like an Olfa or Fiskars or whatever kind of rotary cutter you get for sewing. It doesn't fit. Trust me on those three words. It isn't made to fit, it doesn't fit and there is no sense to buy it if you aren't going to use it. I am not cheap - I am old and wise and frugal. (Yah, right!). Hope this helps. It just isn't worth the money to pay for something you aren't going to use and get three blades in the deal. It is still cheaper buying the two blades - For what it is worth, the order number for the blades is #97642 - Hope I helped on this. And then to top it all off my mom gave me her brand new blade sharpener. Yay! Edie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzm
    Ive made these in several sizes and they are great.. I even transport my laptop and wires etc in individual ones when Im travelling.. fits better in my carryon.
    Am I the only one confused by this post? :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzm
    Am I the only one confused by this post? :shock:
    I was puzzled by this too. Maybe the poster just posted to the wrong thread?

I love going to the hardware store for quilting supplies!

Me too! I found a telescoping magnet for picking up pins and needles. I also found the magnetic dishes really cheap. I found small needle nose pliers for pulling needles through when quilting really cheap. I found clamps to keep my quilts tight on the frame rally cheap. Every time I go into a hardware store or an automotive store, I look at everything to see if I can re-purpose it for quilting. It's fun and when I do find something, I feel really smart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've gotten three of those super grips on garage sales for 50 cents or a $1 each. LOVE THEM! I'm planning a trip to HF or a similar cheap tool store the next time I go to town. If they have cheap blades I'm going to get all they have. I also want to see if they have some cheap 3/4 or 1" metal tape measures so that I can take them apart and cut them up for snap bags.
    They have metal tape measures" at the .99 cent store.
    I have bought several.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast