Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight and sewing room supplies

Harbor Freight and sewing room supplies

I usually take my Kindle and sit in the car when my husband goes to Harbor Freight. I've heard various people here on the Boards mentioning things they've gotten there. What have you gotten at Harbor Freight that has come in handy for your sewing? Next time my DH goes, I'm going in with him!

I have bought their carpet blades to use in my rotary cutter - I have also bought a set of their long nose tweezers, I am satisfied with both.
    Aronel aka Lee

Jim
    Carpet cutting blades, magnetized trays and bowls for pins and needles, tiny brushes to aid in cleaning, long tweezers, rubber mats to put under machine and foot petal to absorb shock and resist movement.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

You really, really need to go in that store!! They have all sorts of nifty dodad kind of stuff. I even got a cute little sewing caddy in HF.

There was just a thread recently that was about using the light on a headband to aid in sewing! I am waiting for the next time I am that way to get one!

I use the 14" scissors I got there when I'm cutting batting.http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...ors-90609.html

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I use the 14" scissors I got there when I'm cutting batting.http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...ors-90609.html
    Well, I guess I need to make another trip to Harbor Freight! Thanks! Also need to look for the rubber mats too. Got the rest of the stuff mentioned plus a stubby screwdriver - lot easier to hold and maneuver that stubby screwdriver than the one that came with the machine.

I like some of their little plastic boxes...for pins, etc. Then there is the telescoping magnet...used to pick up screws, etc...great for picking up dropped pins and needles. I feel like I am forgetting something I have bought there, but cannot think what.

Oh, my gosh. Thank you everyone! I told my husband today that I want to go with him next time he goes. He thought I was kidding and asked if I needed a trailer hitch or cement mixer. When I explained that it was for quilting stuff I got that blank look...(you know the one!)

I bought a mirror that I use to see the underside of the quilt while I am quilting http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...aft-97217.html and I love it
    Par

Good for you Michelle. I think it is always important to keep your hubby off balance. LOL

I got a side ways screwdriver. It's perfect for removing the screw in my cover plate.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I got clamps to attach quilts to a table when I'm pinning it.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I recently purchased a three shelf cart with wheels. It's for keeping my work space clean but it can hold my other projects so I don't forget about them. Love the cart by the way it is red.

I shop at Harbor Freight, while my dh just follows me around in there. I buy their carpet blades, the magnetic bowls, (don't get them around the computerized machines). I got the long 14" scissors which I do like for cutting batting.
    the magnetic long wand. My favorite item is the drawer storage thing with all the little drawers for bolts and nuts!

magnet on telescoping wand, blades for rotary cutter, magnet bowels, ratchet screwdriver, utility scissors about 14 inches, set of drawers to hang on wall (holds really small things, needles, special buttons, chalk) hooks and baskets for my peg board, a collapsible cart with wheels and handle to toate my supplies to classes, and retreats. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, LOL

I got a small laser light that mounts on my machine (on the frame) so I can trace a pantograph.It mounts by sticky tape, screws, or magnetic tape. I have a second light that I am thinking of mounting on the front of my regular machine so I can follow a line of stitching (like the new machine that has a laser light directly in line with needle). I think it only cost $5. and DH was the one who found it for me - the manufacturer of my frame wanted $60 for a "laser light" that works the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
    I usually take my Kindle and sit in the car when my husband goes to Harbor Freight. I've heard various people here on the Boards mentioning things they've gotten there. What have you gotten at Harbor Freight that has come in handy for your sewing? Next time my DH goes, I'm going in with him!
    One favorite is the extending magnetic rod that I pick up wayward pins with. I'm not at all limber any more and often use it to pick up the scissors and other heavier stuff I drop------and I drop a lot. I've got an extra on in the kitchen to pick up dinnerware off the floor--------drop a fork or spoon every time I go to the kitchen

And I could never go back to a cloth pin cushion. I've got a 4" and a 6" magnetic parts bowl.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I also bought a head lamp that has an adjustable light. It's on a head band sort of thing. I don't use it all the time, but it's really handy for threading the needle.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    magnet on telescoping wand, blades for rotary cutter, magnet bowels, ratchet screwdriver, utility scissors about 14 inches, set of drawers to hang on wall (holds really small things, needles, special buttons, chalk) hooks and baskets for my peg board, a collapsible cart with wheels and handle to toate my supplies to classes, and retreats. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, LOL

I'm going to have to apologize up front------------but don't magnet BOWELS get to be a pain in the gut?

I really shouldn't even joke about this. I'm the worst speller and typist on this board.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I have gotten most of the things mentions before, but , I also bought a magnetic bar (about 15 inches long & about 1 inch wide) that I attached to the bottom of my pegboard. Then I just stick my tweezers, scissors, screwdriver, etc. to it. Make it so much easier to get to them. Very, very handy. As mentioned before, don't mount them to close to your computerized sewing machine. I love just going in & wandering around & using my imagination, to see what will be useful in my sewing room. YEAH, Harbor Freight!!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    I got one of the magnetic bars, too. When screws want to go flying off my bench it catches them. Then yesterday I got a lift for picking up sewing machines it was on sale and 20% off I hope it works.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing this! O neighbor of ours, an older gentleman has been looking (or actually I have been looking )for long-bladed scissors...Bingo!!!

Blog Entries
    LOL< when we go to HF, My DH goes His way and I go mine. I like gadgets and am always finding things there I can use in my sewing room. I have all that have been named, lol...always looking for more.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

I bought a rolling bag for my sewing machine at Harbor Freight. It has an retractable/extending handle like luggage. Carefully check the base dimensions of your sewing machine though - my older machine fits perfectly, my newer computerized one is too large!
    It was available with a second "tool" bag that worked well for all the "extras" like scissors, etc. -- my DH has borrowed that one.
    I think the two pieces were $30 range but they have 20% off coupons in nearly every ad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast