Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone had a problem with Brother embroidery machines? >

Has anyone had a problem with Brother embroidery machines?

Has anyone had a problem with Brother embroidery machines?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 AM

My Brother machine HATES Sulky, LOL. It seems to jump all over the place. Have had mixed results with the Gutierman. I do best with Admelody and Robison Anton.

I consider my Sulky collection a wall decoration. :)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
My Brother machine HATES Sulky, LOL. It seems to jump all over the place. Have had mixed results with the Gutierman. I do best with Admelody and Robison Anton.

I consider my Sulky collection a wall decoration. :)
Oh dear, most of mine is sulky, where do you find the other threads? :?:
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM

I order Admelody from www.bfc-stash.com

jhittlesewing has great prices on RA but you have to get packages of 3 spools per color.

shoppersrule has some ok prices on RA as well

I have a couple of spools of Coats and Clark that my machine likes much better than the Sulky, even. Go figure!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
I order Admelody from www.bfc-stash.com

jhittlesewing has great prices on RA but you have to get packages of 3 spools per color.

shoppersrule has some ok prices on RA as well

I have a couple of spools of Coats and Clark that my machine likes much better than the Sulky, even. Go figure!
Thanks I will have to check that out, most of the time I just run to JoAnns because its close and I always have a coupon or two. :)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Maybe buy a spool of a couple of their brands. I'm no JoAnn's snob, I just get started with RA because my first machine worked best with it and then I switched to Admelody because it is really good and the cheapest I've found.

Like I said, my Brother does fine with Coats and Clark (which some people swear comes stratight from hell!) and JoAnn's has it.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have the SE270D and it has issues from time to time :wink: I wonder if it is the top thread ?

Didn't someone say they just did a redesign and no more cassettes that is why they sold the 350 so cheap after Christmas . But I still love it , it is a GREAT entry level machine :lol:
I had the SE350 which I never had a problem with, the Innovis 1250D is the one I have now and is giving me the problems. I sold the SE 350 wish it would have had a bigger field, I would still have it and my$$!!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM

I think it happens also when you fabric isn't real snug or pulled tight in the hoop. Mine does not like sulky thread either. Anything that is loopy or twisteddoesn't work well. My friend told me not to use sulky when i purchased her machine. I purchsed some from ebay that works well. Will tell you the seller if you want to know. I bought some coats and clark but haven't tried it yet. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by happy sewer
I think it happens also when you fabric isn't real snug or pulled tight in the hoop. Mine does not like sulky thread either. Anything that is loopy or twisteddoesn't work well. My friend told me not to use sulky when i purchased her machine. I purchsed some from ebay that works well. Will tell you the seller if you want to know. I bought some coats and clark but haven't tried it yet. Good luck.
Very interesting about the fabric texture and snugness of the hooping, I was using a textured tea towel doing cross stitch and had it in a magna hoop because the regular hoop left a hoop burn on the fabric and it was for a gift and I didn't want to have to launder newly done embroidery. Of course by the time I pulled the magna hoop set up off the machine for the 5th time it was positively sloppy! The project of course is toast and I have to start over, think I will find a different texture tea towel more smooth, and skip the magna hoop. I bought it to use for quilting and it didn't work for that either. DIME told me it was never intended to quilt. Thanks for the input. Oh Well. :-)
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM

May I ask where you bought your machine and how long ago?? If you purchased it from a reliable Brother Dealer and they say there is a defect in the machine you bought, then you should make certain that they do something about it and they should. However, if you bought it at Walmart or off the internet, then you have a different story. The machines they sell at Walmart are not the same quality that are sold through a dealer and they often have flaws or flimsier parts because they are mass produced at a lower price (cheaper quality) to supply the lower end market of the discount stores. With an embroidery machine when the thread starts breaking, you need to check out the thread you are using, the bobbin and change the needle more often. I have owned three Brother machines all purchased at a brother dealer and have only experienced minimal problems.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by McQuilter
May I ask where you bought your machine and how long ago?? If you purchased it from a reliable Brother Dealer and they say there is a defect in the machine you bought, then you should make certain that they do something about it and they should. However, if you bought it at Walmart or off the internet, then you have a different story. The machines they sell at Walmart are not the same quality that are sold through a dealer and they often have flaws or flimsier parts because they are mass produced at a lower price (cheaper quality) to supply the lower end market of the discount stores. With an embroidery machine when the thread starts breaking, you need to check out the thread you are using, the bobbin and change the needle more often. I have owned three Brother machines all purchased at a brother dealer and have only experienced minimal problems.
I purchased it from a local Brother dealer, Ace sewing. The repairman had another Brother machine there at the same time with the same problem and said the problems are stemming from thread not being guided into the proper channels inside when pulling through the outside guides. I plan to contact Brother about this and thats one reason I was wondering if others have had this problem. Just making sure that the reason stated for the problem is really the problem. Thanks for your input.

:D :D :D