Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate Binding Quilts! >

Hate Binding Quilts!

Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM

When I am nearly finished with the binding I fold one end in (on the cross) and press. I tuck that over the other end so that it is lying flush. When I am happy with the result, I put a drop of Elmers glue on the folded edge, put it back in place and press with iron (to set). When you open up you can stitch the two ends together easily.
I hope you can understand this process.
Lynette Rees
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM

I don't mind binding because for a while I forced myself to finish a quilt before I started an new one so when I get to the point I'm binding a quilt I know I'm almost done and I can start planning the next quilt I'm going to make.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM

I love the binding part. that means I am done. I maching it on the front and fold over and had stitch the back. I don't use a thimble. I don't have any trouble at all. I curl up in my chair watch tv and the cats have to join in as well.
Good luck I hope you find a way that works well for you.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Default binding

Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
I love to quilt but hate doing the binding. I have tried 3 methods (including the Binding Thingy) and I keep reverting to
the old tried and true overlap method. But then I don't like the way it looks unless I hand sew it. I made 6 quilts for the Holidays and still have 4 more to bind. I have worn a blister on the middle finger of my right hand because I am thimble challenged. How do others cope with binding blues?
I have found using the stick on moleskin normally used for foot blister protects finger tips from quilting pricks and handwork!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I wrote on the Main board about a new and AWESOME EASY way to machine bind quilts. If you go to my blog: www.mylifeasaquilter.blogspot.com, you will see the new way. I dislike binding (before I found this way) so much that I hate to say, but I usually have a little old lady hand sew my binding on. I pay her $20 and she does a terrific job. But now that I found this new method, I don't need to send my quilts out anymore. I tell you, this new way adds to your quilt. It makes it look like you did so much extra work on your quilt when you really didn't. I've written about it on the main board, but then it doesn't show up. I'm new here and don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe no one reads it so it's discarded or whoever maintains this doesn't think it's interesting enough. I don't know. But please check out my blog. You'll be happy you did.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Have no fear. You aren't the only one with binding issues. I enjoy the hand binding but my right hand fingers are getting cuts in them from the needle going into the skin. I should use a thimble but I just don't like them. One of these days I will stop poking the holes into my fingers and use the dare thimble. Your not alone. Every one has the same issues.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by lnlwhitt View Post
Does your decorative stitch on top line up with the seam line on the bottom? This is what I was wondering.
I use a blanket stitch on the front and yes, I try to line up the folded edge of the quilt with the seam line on the back. Then the blanket stitch pretty much catches the front and back of the binding. I stick my binding down with thin strips of fusible webbing (the stuff you use for applique) and it holds it in place while I sew
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM

I found a good method of machine binding and I will never go back to the hand method. It just takes too long and I want to get them finished! I know if I waited to do it by hand I would never get them done. So, while I like the looks of the hand work I'm pretty darn good with the machine now - just takes practice
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM

I also hate to do the binding but only because ( I machine not hand) when I go to put the two final pieces together I just cant get that mitered look so I end up doing the fold one end into the other and do not like the way it looks. I have tried the Fons and Porter binding tool and still can not master it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Smile Bad hands unite

I love your quilt and the binding also, could you put a photo of the hole quilt ,I also do machine binding because of bad hands . I don't show my quilts ,they are for family mostly, Dottie Bug