Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate Binding Quilts! >

Hate Binding Quilts!

Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 AM

Recently went through the trials of learning to sew binding on by machine for my neice. She has trouble with her hands and cannot hand sew for long periods of time. Had a few misstarts and then success. The best part is that she has now mastered the art of machine binding also. Just takes time and patience and eventually you will find what works best for you.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 AM

When you machine quilt the front do you pin it so the seam matches front and back. Hope that makes sense. I know the back is already sewn on (I've done that) but do I want my decorate seam on the front match where the seam line is on the back too?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nanaquilts44 View Post
I really don't mind binding once I get going on it. But for some reason I seem to put it off when my quilt is finished. I have several waiting for binding right now!
I cringe when I look at my pile of UFO's and realize that some literally could disappear with a few hours of binding...

I have tried machine binding, but honestly, I like the idea that I sat with the quilt in my lap and hand bound it...there is something like putting myself into the quilt in a more personal way...thinking about the recipient or why I am making it...infusing it a bit with some soul, if you will...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM

Im with you on binding being my least favorite part of quilting - I usually machine it on both sides but my problem is htat place where the two ends meet seriously it gives me fits - my prices are high on binding becasue I dislike it so much ....
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 AM

Putting on the binding is my favorite part of quilting. I enjoy the hand sewing and the fact that my quilt will be finished once I've completed the binding. I did have trouble joining the binding until I bought "The Binding Tool" by TQM Products from the Missouri Quilt Company. That tool has been a real time saver for me! I do need to wear a thimble when I do bindings. I did the hand sewing on a binding last night without a thimble. I'll never do that again.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Binding is one of my favorite parts. My friend taught me an easy way... 2 1/2 " strips sewn together on diagonal, overlap tails by width of binding... 2 1/2 inches, cut, sew on diagonal... should fit perfectly on quilt. A must is a walking foot to sew binding to quilt... I love sewing by hand... don't like machine sewing, never can get it right. It tells me mentally I am almost done. Quilter 1234
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Sad but true, I love binding quilts. The margin of error for screwing up is so much smaller than when I piece. I use the thimble it. I do a few stitches ,just so I know where I'm poking myself THEN put on the pad. Strangely, I hate sewing on the sleeve. When in doubt, pour a cup of herbal tea! (or wine) curl up in a comfy chair with your favorite music and let it be a zen moment. Don't be afraid to walk away and bake some cookies . OR maybe you can find a quilting buddy that hates something else and you can swap. I bind for a friend of mine and she cuts pieces for me. It's win-win. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM

I do all mine by machine now. I sew binding to back of quilt then fold over and use decorative stitch ontop. I learned a great way to join the binding from Nancy of Nancy's Notions. She called it the "kiss" method. You might could find it on Youtube. It's kind of hard to explain.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM

I love to bind. My corners are usually good. Occasionally they are rounded, so I do not offer my services out to others. Binding to me is getting to sit down with an old movie on and a warm quilt on my lap and not feel guilty about watching a movie in the middle of the day. Even in summer I enjoy it.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM

Does your decorative stitch on top line up with the seam line on the bottom? This is what I was wondering.