Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate Binding Quilts! >

Hate Binding Quilts!

Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM

I like binding my quilts. I enjoy sewing down by hand sitting in front of the tv. Now, that be said, I'm still learning and trying to perfect my binding technique. There are some great you tube tutes that are great.

Kitsie, great machine binding. looks gorgeous!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 AM

Love binding by hand. I use leather thimble. I'm still practicing with my binding foot by machine and find using invisible thread even in bobbin helps hide the mistakes.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM

I do all mine by machine too. Sometimes, I don't use a binding, as I don't care for the look of it, just turn my edges inward, & stitch together. That works too. Do what works for you & keep it simple. I care more about my quilt, than the binding...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Default How do I do binding like Kitsie's

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Many of us (and more every day) machine bind with very good results. I didn't learn from a tutorial, but I'm sure there are many. One thing that really helped my binding was to only pin a bit at a time of the binding to the quilt when first sewing it on. It sews on nice and flat and you don't have to "scrunch" or pull it to fit. Sew it to the back first, fold it over and use a decorative stitch on the front:[ATTACH=CONFIG]295281[/ATTACH]
WOW Kitsie, I do just what you suggested, sew to the back first, fold it over and I TRY to use a decorative stitch on the front. HOWEVER, from your pic above, your back stitching looks as great as your front! HOW DO YOU DO THAT?? My bottom stitches never, ever fall right on the edge of the back side of the binding, sometimes they are too high, sometimes too low and the stitches are down into the quilt body, and once in a while.....they fall right on the edge, but very very seldom. Do you have a trick you can share? I do love to put on the binding too, love to cut the bias pieces out of larger pieces, love to do the whole thing except I'm somewhat disappointed that I can't get the back stitches to fall in the same place on the binding as the front stitches.