Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate Binding Quilts! >

Hate Binding Quilts!

Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 AM

I don't mind at all doing the binding. I sit in front of the TV and am warm from the quilt and my hands are occupied. My suggestion is if you don't like to do the binding or find it boring, have a binding party. I did this for our quilt guild raffle quilt. I was in charge of the quilt and it was 106" X 106". We had about six of us show up and we sat around the quilt and had it done in no time. We gathered at our LQS and she provided treats for us as well as the space. We had a great time stitching and socializing.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 AM

Just found a ton of tutes on bindings after googling the Shelley Rodgers method: http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowAr...spx?NavID=1671
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures...that is great and I love the look of it. I will have to try that on my next quilt.

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Many of us (and more every day) machine bind with very good results. I didn't learn from a tutorial, but I'm sure there are many. One thing that really helped my binding was to only pin a bit at a time of the binding to the quilt when first sewing it on. It sews on nice and flat and you don't have to "scrunch" or pull it to fit. Sew it to the back first, fold it over and use a decorative stitch on the front:[ATTACH=CONFIG]295281[/ATTACH]
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 AM

I hate to bind too!!!! I usually hire it out....LOL. Except for the quilts I have made for family...I sit down and painfully hand sew them. LOL
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 AM

I used to have my mother do the bindings for me because I dislike getting the quilt trimed and sewing it on the first time. I finally learned a fast way to trim using my ruler and rotary cutter. I have learned a way to attach the ends that works for me every time and now my bindings look good. I sew most of them on by hand because that is the way I do them the best. I have seen some machine bindings that looked very nice. Would like to learn how to do them so the back sewing would be in the ditch but can't seem to make them that way.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 AM

I don't mind binding my quilts, sometimes it seems a long ways around there but I fold the binding in half and sew it on the right side and I hand sew the binding to the back. I always hand sew mine to the back because I have not had much success at having it look very good when I try to finish it with my sewing machine. I'm satisfied with the way mine ends up. I can hand sew it pretty fast.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

If you go to my blog: www.mylifeasaquilter.com, you will see a great way to machine quilt your bindings. It is so easy and it makes your quilt look like you went the extra mile to make it look great. I very much dislike binding. So much so, that I have a woman sew my binding on (I know, that's terrible), but I don't like binding...until I found this way and now I'm binding like crazy. It looks wonderful when you do it this way. Give it a look. It's the second post on my blog site. I just want to get the word out about this new way to bind (at least it's new to me).
Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

I've got several quilts waiting to have binding done. I feel for you, it is always like I have to have myself talk myself into doing it, I only do machine on one side.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 AM

The Cut Rite Bind Up tool totally cured my binding blues. I'll be blogging about it and giving one away on my blog on January 9th. Here's the video about how it works.

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/O...p%20Video.htm?

Love it! I couldn't quilt without it. In fact, I don't think I could go on living without it.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM

I love to do binding. On the old site I had posted a tutorial on how I do my corners and ending. Not sure where it is on this new site. I made it a word document so if anyone is interested PM your email address and I can send it to you in an email.