Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate Binding Quilts! >

Hate Binding Quilts!

Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I do not like to sew anything by hand so I pay my friend to hand sew the binding down. I know that's sad but it's the only way I would ever see a quilt totally finished.
I would do that too if I had a friend that sewed!!! It takes me forever because I have nerve damage in my shoulder which causes my fingers to go numb whenever I do anything that requires fine motor skills. I have to stop often (about every 12") to wiggle my fingers and rotate my shoulders.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
If I were next door, I'd do the binding for you. Ideal TV watching job!
And just where are you in Indiana? I might have to hire you!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

I found an elderly lady that needs some spending cash and I pay her to do it..she LOVES it...and I love her quality workmanship...works for us both!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 PM

I do my quilts by machine - sew to front, turn to back and SITD from the front. Invisible from the front and just a nice line of stitching on the edge of the binding on the back. No pins and just a little glue for the corners. My next project is a curved binding on a Spicy Spiral - I'm not looking forward to doing those almost pointed ends. Of course, it will have to be done by hand. If my hands won't let me, I have a daughter who does very nice work, but I'd rather do it myself.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I do my quilts by machine - sew to front, turn to back and SITD from the front. Invisible from the front and just a nice line of stitching on the edge of the binding on the back.
Some I stitch by hand and some I do this way. You can also use decorative stitches for this. I like to do this especially on baby quilts.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM

I am also thimble challanged so I use the Thimple Pads that stick to my third finger and this works for me. They come in a packet and now they can be found at the fabric and quilting stores.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Binding is not my favorite thing to do either but for me my mother and I both quilt and when its time to bind we get together and somehow the chatting and catching up on all the latest "gossip"' sure makes time go by muc faster and you are really not focused on the task at hand and how you don't like it.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 AM

Default Binding

I hear ya I also hate to bind any size of a quilt,don't mind making simple quilts just hate the binding.I had rather quilt a queen size quilt on my regular machine than to bind a twin size,I know that sound a little crazy but really I hate binding.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 AM

I bet one of your sewing friends would do it for fabric trade. It took me a year..but now I am fine with doing the binding. I do it by machine. First the back and flip to the front and then us a decorative stitch Love the look.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 AM

I understand. There are parts of quilting that I don't like too but I do like the hand work when binding. I HATE the look of poorly done machine stitched binding. I actually enjoy the process of finishing off my quilt with that personal hand stitching. I like embroidery work too. It was the first "craft" I learned as a little child. I embroidered bibs for my baby brother when I was just short of six years old. That makes hand work a really comfortable skill. Sorry it is not a process you enjoy, buthat is a BIG motivation to become an expert at machine binding.