Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate Binding Quilts! >

Hate Binding Quilts!

Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

i've never liked the way machine applied bindings look- so i do it the old fashioned way- for me it is the greatest part of the quilt process---because it means it's finally done! i usually wait until there is a good movie on or something like that=sit on the couch and just stitch away- usually by the end of the movie i am almost done---and feeling very good about it...as for your blister---try to pace yourself---don't try to do them all at once- plan to work on one for about an hour----then take a break-give your fingers a break- and give them some nice lotion---a few hours later go back and work for another hour---repeat---when one is done give your hands a couple days off---and also be generous with nice lotion- one of my favorites is "gloves in a bottle"
after a couple days off- start the next one---and again-take breaks--you will find you will be more productive- and get further if you give yourself breaks during the process.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM

I also am not keen on hand sewing the binding. The last 2 or 3 bindings I did, I did by machine and was very pleased with it.

I sewed the binding to the back and then pressed it to the front. I then cut some very thin strips of visflex? (the stuff you use for applying an applique, that has the peel off paper on the back) and I used that to fuse the binding into place on the front. I was able to place it so that the edge of the binding was held in place right on the stitching line. I then used a blanket stitch that I have on my machine and was able to make it very narrow and barely visible. A blanket stitch (or any fancy stitch) as in the blue quilt posted further up is very nice too. I intend to use this process for any quilts I do in future.

On the other hand, the ones I have hand stitched didn't take as long and weren't as bad to do as I had thought. I, like others, sat in front of the tv and just took my time and it was soon done. I still prefer to machine stitch the bindings on though
Old 12-13-2011, 01:44 PM

I just completed my first hand sewn binding last night and love the look of it. BUT it takes too long. This quilt was hand pieced and quilted so I did hand sew the binding down (though cheated and used the machine to sew it to the front) but I don't crease my binding or pin it fast, I sort of eyeball it. I think it has a nicer edge when there's no crease pressed in it. But I do use a thimble and learned how to use one when I started hand quilting, now I have a problem sewing without one, but I found one that fits perfectly and panic when I can't find it. When I use my other not as great fitting one, I can only do a little at a time before my finger hurts. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM

I know this is against all 'rules' but I trim the fabric from the back to about 2". Trim the batting to about 1". Bring the back around the front and fold. I stitch it on with a machine stitch or by hand. I just have to tweak the corners into a mitered look by hand. I can't figure out why the back is trimed off just to add something. I make sure the backing fabric complements the quilt top. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM

It's not cheating to use the machine to sew the front OR the back - whichever way will get it done the best is the way to use. The main thing is to get them done and have them be neat and sturdy.

It's not cheating to pull the back around to the front, either. If the backing coordinates nicely with the front, it's a great shortcut. I have only done this a couple of times, but when I do, I try to double the thickness of fabric that protects the edge of the quilt. Mitering the corner is tricky but it can be done. And if you don't want to fuss with it that much, use an Amish-style corner and it will be attractive, too.

Whatever gets them done - do it. Even if you have to do it by hiring (or bribing with chocolate) someone else to do it for you.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM

I feel one machine stitches the quilt and machine quilts it so what is wrong with machine sewing the binding. I do it on the right side with a very slight wavy stich and unless you are doing it on plain fabric it is very difficult to tell it is even machine stitched.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM

I love machine binding. Have a favorites button on my Bernina that I save the settings so I don't have to think about it. Just sew. Hope you find an easier method to help you. Tuts here are great.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
I feel one machine stitches the quilt and machine quilts it so what is wrong with machine sewing the binding. I do it on the right side with a very slight wavy stich and unless you are doing it on plain fabric it is very difficult to tell it is even machine stitched.
Say it loud and say it proud! This is my thinking also. If the quilt top is machine stitched and the quilting is machine stitched and the first seam of the binding is machine stitched, why not finish the binding with machine stitches? I know that traditionally seams are generally hidden (at least that's true with clothing), but all the quilting stitching is right out where you can see it.

Tate
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM

I don't like binding and have plenty of unbound quilts to prove it. I bind in an emergency only (quilt going to someone.) I have a friend who machine binds and she loves it. I see from the examples here that it can be beautifully done. Oh my gosh, another thing to learn! LOL
Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Default love to do binding!!!

If you really hate to do the binding and don't mind the expense of someone else doing it for you, send me a PM and we'll talk. My passion is hand work and my work is good. Madeline