Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a baby quilt lately? >

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:50 PM

I dont think that I will ever be a grandma, but my sister grand daughter I take care of daily ( shes 4) is Hanna Montana, Dora, CRAZY...... I refuse to let her watch barney....or her room would be purple and green! I found one of those large coloring books of Dora, and Colored them for her and they hang everywhere in her room, along with wallies of flowers and buterflies, and toys everywhere. I just lately stated calling her my grandaugther when were out to stop the explaniation of no im her grandmoms sister-older sister. This new's didnt set to well with my 32 year old son, but so be it for him.
I use to joke with them not to have kids until I retired and 50, then I could watch them for them? its now 4 years later.......still waiting? I have made some quilts for the bunk beds that I'm barrowing from my sister,will put pic's up at later time. This
Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 PM

I make baby quilts frequently and I make them bright!
I'm a grandma aged woman, no grandkids; however. I make charity baby quilts year round.
You can see the baby quilts that I have made on my webshots pages.

http://good- times.webshots.com/album/562396634NVWS
UO
Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 PM

the really popular color scheme around her lately has been pink/brown or blue/brown or anything with chocolate brown
Old 06-26-2010, 03:44 PM

i've found the easiest way is to take the mother to be shopping. let them pick the main fabric, maybe 1 more....and go from there

my dgs baby quilt is midnight blue fabric w/shooting stars thru it (it was a christmas fabric) with sashing in jade green w/small harliquin diamonds. i used baby blue and light purple batiks for the rest.

the day after we went shopping, i went back to the lqs, and got the rest of the bolt of the blue, made the dust ruffle for the crib, the bumper pads ...also made a 24" pillow with the square set on diagonal for watching tv...dgs is almost 3 now, and he carries the pillow & quilt into the sitting room to lay on the floor w/grumpy (my dh) and watch tv...
Old 06-26-2010, 04:01 PM

I've made quilts for my greatgrandchildren and try to make it something that reflects what the family is into ... horses for the horsey set, autos/trains for some. I generally make up the design and basically use what I have, sometimes having to buy for the backing and binding. Baby quilts are the most fun to make ... and quick to finish.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM

I seriously think that everyone was unemployed or something around 9 months ago. I have had at least 5 baby showers in the last 2 months!! I have made everything from traditional pink and blue, primary colors and mix and matches.
I actually had a quilt that was questionable as to girl or boy. Very bold colors with oranges and blues... it's going to a girl.
I made one of thimbearts quilts last year for a girl at work. NEVER again will I make that unless it is for my own grandchild. Beautiful, but a lot of work for a co worker. http://thimble-art.com/patterns/chil...s/its-a-jungle she has a lot of tutorials that helped a lot. I think her stuff is just amazing.

I am grandmother age, I have never had to say that. eww I'm getting older than I am willing to accept. haha
Old 06-26-2010, 04:35 PM

I still stick to pinks for a girl and blues for a boy - BABIES.
I save the jungle prints, cats, etc novelty prints for when they are toddlers and know what they are seeing.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM

I am Grandma to 11 ranging in age from 8 to 20. Yesterday I started a quilt for our 1st gg son due in Sept. DGD requested cowboy theme in red-white & blue. It is going to be r-w-b & tan which has been approved :-D Always had requests for brights for the grandkids. Many themes including bears with balloons, Noah's ark, race cars, etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM

I have been making both, but I work in a quilt shop. it does sceme like they want the brighter ones. But I like the lighter colors and the older baby patterns and panels. I'm a 62 year old greatgranny of a boy (3) and a girl (1) and that is just my oldest granddaughter's, have 4 granddaughters and 3 grandsons. ages 10 to 25
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 PM

I am g'ma to five, and my oldest is 16. Her mom wanted bright colors so that's what she got. For gifts I usually go online to look at the registry, something else new since I was young, and see what they have selected, and I make something to go with Mom's choice. My youngest grandson got pale blue toile for his quilt, bedskirt, bumper pads, and rocker pads. I prefer the brighter colors. My next project is a baby quilt in blue turtles and green frogs for a friend. The blue turles are a large print, so I'm planning a snowball block with coordinating bars alternating.