Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a baby quilt lately? >

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Old grandma here, and todays colors for babies just turn me off. I still prefer the softer colors for a new baby, I just think it suits them. I am ready to start making baby quilts to put back for great-grandbabies, whenever the time comes. For the two GD, I will make their quilts from clothing I"ve made for them in the past. For the three boys, I will probably use soft colors too. It seems funny thinking about making quilts to "put back", but I'm 71, and only two grandchildren are of the age to become parents, and there is a good chance I won't be around to see Greats from the younger ones, so this is my way of showing love for them when I'm not here. IS that being silly?
I don't think it is silly at all. I think it is a wonderful idea. And I'm sure they will cherish them.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 PM

My DIL decorated my DGS nursery with the precious planet line. I was able to make three quilts that fit in really well. I don't think it matters what you do as long as you like it. If you go shopping for strollers etc, it is really hard to find blue or pink these days.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Since my Grandchildren are starting to get married, I figure in a few years I might be a great grandma, so I have begun to make some baby quilts to put away for when they come along. I don't know how long I will be able to quilt. I have made several sunbonnet sue in pastel colors, and several 9patch alternating with white blocks with appliqued sail boats, for little boys. I plan to make some with teddy bears on them maybe with some brighter colors, but not too bright
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 PM

Let's here it for the new decor!! I did most of my crib quilts it bright colors. Pastels make me feel cold. I have seen some very nice quilts in all styles, colors, some pieced.
and some were just two pieces of fabric with battiing that were tied.
But with 4 boys and 1 girl. I tried to go with all colors in just about all of them. But really it just depends on what is available. It also depends on the likes and dislikes of the mom.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:31 PM

For charity quilts, I have made all different themes and colors. For my youngest granddaughter, I made one with Sun Bonnet Sues. I made a charity quilt with a toy theme, sail boats, pinwheels and so forth. It is a row quilt with a varity of light blues, greens and browns. My niece fell in love with it so it became my great nieces quilt. For my great nephew I made another row quilt with golds and blues and an angel theme. I has kind of an antique look to it. My sister has made a couple of John Deere quilts.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

It seems funny thinking about making quilts to "put back", but I'm 71, and only two grandchildren are of the age to become parents, and there is a good chance I won't be around to see Greats from the younger ones, so this is my way of showing love for them when I'm not here. IS that being silly?[/quote]

I have just made a cot quilt in bright colours at the request of my granddaughter. I still lean towards pink and pretty. I am thinking of doing some quilts for other grandchildren's children and putting them by as I am 72 and have just been told I have the beginnings of macular degeneration. The thing is, what will be popular in a few years' time and will the grandsons' wives (presuming they marry) have preferences?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 PM

I finished on a year ago, It had a cat, dog, fish, turtle, airplane, rocket ship, baloons, kites, train engine, truck, football helmet, baseball, cap and bat, soccer ball, wind mills twirling stars, moon, sun - 24 blocks in all - sashed with blue and white. for a boy. I am now make two more very similar - added a dinosaur and a different turtle - for twins due in December. Don't know yet if boys, girls or one of each, so doing the gender neutral blocks until we find out. This are all picture pieced. A lot of work but it is also a learning quilt as I use all colors.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 PM

My daughter did her new baby's room in Peter Rabbit. It is in browns and greens. I sponge/feather painted the top half and papered the bottom half of the walls. The paper was in Peter Rabbit, with a nice matching border print. Then he got older, and she used the same painted walls on top but added paper to the bottom with a fishing scene, and added a border with the same theme. I made him a quilt in the same fishing theme. He gets to go fishing with the Daddy and he has already caught his very own fish!!
But, the trend is to use brighter primary colors. I did my son's room in red. blue ,green and yellow.Both rooms turned out nice.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 AM

Being a grandmother of six and great- grandmother of two. I usually ask the parents what they would like. It is a gift, why not please them all the way! When I have scraps I make small quilts, so if I'm invited to a shower I write in the card *Every baby needs one*. and the baby to be born already has his or her Security Blanket.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 AM

I am thinking of doing some quilts for other grandchildren's children and putting them by as I am 72 and have just been told I have the beginnings of macular degeneration. The thing is, what will be popular in a few years' time and will the grandsons' wives (presuming they marry) have preferences?[/quote]

I too am making them to put away for the GGrandchildren. I'm sure that what ever we make (I'm 73) will be charished no matter if they are out of style or not. Just make some pretty ones and they will be thrilled. I know I would. I got nothing from my grandmother and never knew my Ggranamother.