Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a baby quilt lately? >

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

I seem to go for bright colors( yellow , orange , greens ) and look for themes. The last one I made for a friend had penguins that had a great combination of colors in the yellow, orange, blue, green spectrum so it was real easy to do patches with solid colors for the penguins and their background. I forgot to take pictures though and have not seen that material since. I also saved material (panels etc) from 20 to 24 years ago so I cut them up and use them. I have mickey mouse and friends material, tweety bird, ducks, clowns, teddy bears etc. I'm so glad I held on to some of my older material as I will never find anything quite like these again.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 AM

I made my 15 year old grand daughter a pieced quilt. The next 5 grand daughters ages 2 1/2 to 5 have single pieced hand quilted lap quilts. Colors and fabric were decided by what they like; princesses, zoo animals, fish, Mickey Mouse, ec. For my newest grand daughter #7, I made "Bear Hugs" quilt, pieced and machine appliqued in bold colors of green, pink, purple, yellow, and blue on white background. Sarah;s eyes really open wide grasping all of the bright colors although she is only 2 1/2 months old.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 AM

No but when I do it happens in 3s and 4s at one time. And I'm in a rush to make them.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 AM

Looks like I am making some changes for sure. I have enjoyed all the idea's out there. I have heard about themes for babys room etc. Love the zoo quilt! All the ideas have been greatly inspiring for sure. Cant wait to make my next baby quilt for the new DGD in July! I just ordered red, black and white, for lady bugs, and flowers, baby quilt. Surely different than PINK.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 AM

I made one for my first grandchild 2 years ago and am currently working on another. My son and daughter both chose not to know whether they were/are having a boy or girl. The first quilt for my granddaughter I made using the "Love Is" calender from 2008. I used the pictures from 4 calenders I purchase on clearance. For the remaining squares I used a seafoam green and gold. It turned out quite nice. I have since purchases a "Love Is " panel that has the same pictures. This will also be green and gold since my daughter doesn't know if it is a boy or girl.
I don't think pastels and pink and green are absolutely necessary for baby quilts. Sometimes slightly darker more intense colors add something extra to a babies room. I have also completed one for a boy using gold and several medium to dark blues.
Just do what you like, or the parents like.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 AM

after my mom died several years ago, My sis gave me some quilt blocks mom had embroidered with some bears, rabbits etc. they were 6 1/2 inch blocks. I had some 9 patch the same size of scrap material so I put them together in a patchwork quilt. real cute will be for one of the great grandkids that will include work from their gggrandma. I will border it with yellow.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 AM

I have made many blankets and baby quilts, some for my grands but most I give to the hospitals in the area. Black and white makes a great quilt and not everyone will appreciate it. I use flannel fabric since I make the quilts from the scraps of the receiving blankets which I also donate. So I have lots of different colors and rarely stick to pink and blue then only if I have gotten such a request from the mom. Bright colors are great for infants and I love making them.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I've always loved bright bold colors that the kids and babies could see. black and white with a bold red. jungle theme is is now b/c of the b&w. all my sons quilts (he's 20 now) were b&w at first them bold bright colors. I'm still drawn to them and have made over 100 donation quilts all bold colors.
they're soooo fun to work with.
have a great time
Old 06-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
just finished a wholecloth for a baby girl. Did it in white and pink. It was just baby's initial. Very simple, but I think it turned out well.
Jackie I really like your whole cloth. Did you quilt it with white or pink thread.That was a reaally clever idea and very personal for baby .Really love your quilt :-D
Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM

I have made three baby quilts in the past month, two girl and one boy. One girl quilt was in pastel pinks and lavender. The other was in raspberry pink and lime green and the baby boy was red and blue with a baby cowboy bears print.
I am a new grandmother (last week!) and I feel like you do about baby things being in pastels and soft colors, but I really like the way the bright color quilts come out. I have always loved bright colors and babies do, too! I am not especially fond of black and dark brown for babies. The colors in my granddaughters room are lavender, black and white. Not what I would have chosen but I'm not the new momma!