Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a baby quilt lately? >

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM

I just made a baby quilt for a friend that was expecting his first grandson. his daughter had decorated the baby's room in black and white and turquoise, and those were the colors he wanted the baby quilt to be. so I got a bunch of different fabrics that were black and white prints, some white on white tones and a few turquoise prints and made a patchwork quilt for him. it turned out really pretty,
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM

i recently made a baby quilt for a friend who was expecting his first grandson. his daughter decorated the baby's room in black and white and turquoise, and he wanted a quilt to match the room. so i got a bunch of black and white prints and some white on white tones, and a few turquoise prints, cut them into 4 inch squares and made a patchwork quilt. i wasn't really sure how it was going to look. i didn't think the colors would look like a baby's quilt, but it turned out really nice and they were thrilled with it. so i guess baby colors are changing

oops i didn't think my first post went through. still learning! lol
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM

I just made two, Both niece's are or have had girls I did them in pastel butterflies and bright colored blocks they are really cute very girly
Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

I make all kinds, including bright. Babies like bright colors.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I make all kinds, including bright. Babies like bright colors.
That is exactly what I was going to say! In fact, I have one waiting for me to put the binding on (my step-daughter's shower is Saturday, nothing like waiting til the last minute).
Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 PM

my daughter is working on her first ever quilt and it is for her baby's crib. I'm attaching a picture of the display one at the LQS where we bought the fabric and pattern.

She got the top pieced so now we just need to sandwich, quilt and bind. And of course make a bumper and dust ruffle. She's hoping to buy the sheets. Not sure where she will find crib sheets in hot pink, gray or black!

I'll post a pic of it as soon as she finishes it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87459.jpe  
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM

I'm 30 and most of my friends prefer brights of any type. I haven't ever made a "traditional" blue or pink quilt. My favorite is several 5" squares of 15 or so different fabrics and just back it with cotton, no batting or just flannel. This makes the quilt light enough to not overheat the baby and cool enough to through on the ground. I make my quilts to be used...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 AM

Don't know about where you are, but down here,I make whatever I think mum/dad will appreciate.Just finished a "transport" theme for an unborn grandson, and have two car cot quilts to finish.I try to back all my boy quilts with a racing track fabric, and the girls always get pink, either bright or pastel to match the fronts. If I can work out the computer, I'll post some pics.
Obviously I'm a nana.3 year old girl, 6 month old boy.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 AM

Primary colors, animals, bright citrus colors are the ones I've made in the past year. One all pink and white with a Pink toile for the backing - that was hard to give away!
Look in Pottery Barn for babies for the
"in" trends,( you can look on-line) but more and more moms are just doing there own thing.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:48 AM

I'm in the grammy stage of life. I make several baby quilts a year, none of them traditional blue or pink or baby prints. I take something from the family's interests and go with that. Cars, horses, art, sports, hobbies, jobs, vacation spots, whatever... sometimes an I-Spy with all of them. I also make them bigger than crib size so the kids can grow with them. I expect them to be used for picnics, building forts, wrapping up, all things kids do, and I've been told that some people place bets on what I'm going to come up with. I have a hard time making traditional quilts -- they're just not personal enough for me.