Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 AM

Brights seem to be in!
I have made several recently with Minkee
bright pinks,lime and zebra
Jungle theme to the extreme!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM

One baby quilt I made for my adopted granddaughter had material with different bugs on it to match the nursery set that Mom had picked out. My daughter had three boys - all c-sections, and she knew that the fourth child she was carrying would be her last. When she found out for sure that it was the little girl she'd been hoping for, she went all out pink so I got a chance to make a very pink, feminine, little princess quilt. The last quilt I made, the girl chose all the fabrics for her little girl's quilt; and the only things that make it look like a baby quilt are the small size blocks and the teddy bears in some of the blocks. I've had that quilt done for quite a while and I've called and called for her to come and pick it up, but she won't. The baby was a year old in April!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM

I have been making a quilt for my new granddaughter. She is 1 week old, and I need to get her quilts done. My daughter choose to make the room Winnie the Pooh. What we decided to do was make it with neutral colors, so the bedding can be used through more children. I found a really cute winnie the pooh print, put greens, yellows and orange with it. It is turning out really cute.

I did a jungle animal quilt for my niece who had a boy. I backed his with blue and used yellow and green in the quilt.

My friend is using the same fabric I used with Jungle animals on to make a quilt for her granddaughter and she used yellows, greens, and pink in hers.

I am working on a girl one for my granddaughter and it is a fabric with frogs on it on a yellow background, and has pinks in it. It is going to be really cute as well. I did the same one for one of my friends.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM

I consulted our daughter as to what the theme was for her grandson our great-grandson. She said all sports, flannel all sports on one side and three colors of blue for the other.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87387.jpe   attachment-87388.jpe  
Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM

I finished this today for my neice. They are having a boy so I made it blue, also it helped that I had everything in my stash to do it. I machine embroidered the trucks and quilted with my Tin Lizzie. I hope she likes it.

quilt for Nancy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87413[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87408.jpe  
Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 PM

My youngest wanted a monkey theme for her baby. Mackenzie Grace arrived and I'm now collecting PINK monkeys for her quilt.

Recently a friend became a grandma and my quilting group made her a "grandma quilt" - something to keep at her house for when the baby comes to visit. I think I saw fabric at Joanne's that had "I love grandma" all over it. Wouldn't that be a fun gift to make ?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM

I just had another baby last year and couldn't really find a set that I was just in love with. found a nautical theme that my hubby liked and I liked. My DD when she was born I did the room in purple. Just because I can't stand pink. it is a nice accessory but not the main color for me. it was purple little flowers for the bed set, wished i had made both of their bedding. didn't really use any of the bedding stuff that i bought for them. had a quilt given to me for my dd and made my sons. both still use them every night. ds is a blue jean blueish color.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Old grandma here, and todays colors for babies just turn me off. I still prefer the softer colors for a new baby, I just think it suits them. I am ready to start making baby quilts to put back for great-grandbabies, whenever the time comes. For the two GD, I will make their quilts from clothing I"ve made for them in the past. For the three boys, I will probably use soft colors too. It seems funny thinking about making quilts to "put back", but I'm 71, and only two grandchildren are of the age to become parents, and there is a good chance I won't be around to see Greats from the younger ones, so this is my way of showing love for them when I'm not here. IS that being silly?
No, it's love. I plan on doing the same thing. I'm only 5 years behind you. Gerry
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm with kacie on this one. I love traditional pieced quilts but not so much for a baby. I look for fabric that goes with the parents/family's lifestyle so my blankets have been princess, monkey, jungle, cowboy, bears, trains, john deere, and all kinds of colors from soft to electric bright! I've also done some larger, toddler size I Spy and Match Game. Although I did one for my new grandson, due September 3rd, that is Eleanor Burns Tennessee Waltz pattern. I used a cream print that has all-over scattered jungle babies on it and the star points are purple, orgage, red, green, blue, yellow. If I get the binding on it i'll post a picture. It has been my most challenging quilt to date and it turned out fairly decent. My grandson that was born in October got a denim and bandana quilt. All the denim came from Grandpa's shirts. That one was fun and sentimental.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:01 PM

The crib quilts I usually make are machine embroidered blocks.
So I use bright solids. If I make a pieced quilt I use bright childrens prints. Back in the 70's I used to make crib quilts with pastels, but I think they went out of vogue with all the wonderful fabrics available now.